Your fleet running reports

NotoriousREV

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by NotoriousREV »

The battery in my 911 decided today was the day it was going to give up the ghost. But not at home, oh no that would be too easy. Instead, it started fine (albeit a tad sluggish), I drove for about 20 mins or so, stopped to fill up and it wouldn’t even turn over. Luckily my Dad was only 20 mins away, and a Halfords with the right battery in stock was 10 mins away.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 am The battery in my 911 decided today was the day it was going to give up the ghost. But not at home, oh no that would be too easy. Instead, it started fine (albeit a tad sluggish), I drove for about 20 mins or so, stopped to fill up and it wouldn’t even turn over. Luckily my Dad was only 20 mins away, and a Halfords with the right battery in stock was 10 mins away.
You getting ideas about LiPo jump packs, like I am?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:39 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 am The battery in my 911 decided today was the day it was going to give up the ghost. But not at home, oh no that would be too easy. Instead, it started fine (albeit a tad sluggish), I drove for about 20 mins or so, stopped to fill up and it wouldn’t even turn over. Luckily my Dad was only 20 mins away, and a Halfords with the right battery in stock was 10 mins away.
You getting ideas about LiPo jump packs, like I am?
No. As I said to Munki, I have solved the issue by no longer having a 10 year old battery.

I was amazed that the girl running the petrol station didn’t try and stop me swapping a battery right next to the tank vent pipes 🤔
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mine is also not happy in the cold weather - could be in line for a change too.

Doesn't help that I'm quite fond of my heated seats and steering wheel. :oops:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I knew it was borderline but was trying to hang on.

Halfords were by far the cheapest at £92 vs £115 or £315 (lol) at ECP.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve found the Yuasa batteries very good, both the 6 and Mito have them and they’re both around 8 years old now. Have a third one for deep cycle duties such as running pumps and occasional electric fencing which it’s really not suited for but it’s also good after 5 years.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:51 pm I’ve found the Yuasa batteries very good, both the 6 and Mito have them and they’re both around 8 years old now. Have a third one for deep cycle duties such as running pumps and occasional electric fencing which it’s really not suited for but it’s also good after 5 years.
Yeah, my brother won't touch anything other than Yausa batteries either.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Original merc one was a yuasa and lasted 12 years, despite only doing 1500 miles a year for the last ten years :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:25 pm Original merc one was a yuasa and lasted 12 years, despite only doing 1500 miles a year for the last ten years :lol:
That sounds rather like what I need :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:12 pm I was amazed that the girl running the petrol station didn’t try and stop me swapping a battery right next to the tank vent pipes 🤔
That's fine, but don't you dare pick up that mobile phone.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:

Was it in mythbusters where they were cutting lit cigarettes in petrol and it wouldn’t ignite :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect but it feels like it’s running better.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm :lol:

Was it in mythbusters where they were cutting lit cigarettes in petrol and it wouldn’t ignite :lol:
Considering that aluminium will ignite in powder form and diesel definitely burns like a mofo when sprayed I think showing large groups of people how safe petrol was is bound to result in some “watch this” moments.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:36 pm I knew it was borderline but was trying to hang on.

Halfords were by far the cheapest at £92 vs £115 or £315 (lol) at ECP.
In the exciting world of batteries......

The small one is a regular sized battery, the larger one is what I just put in the 500e.

Should do the job.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:13 pm I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect but it feels like it’s running better.
If that is actually the case I wonder whether it points to a dicky alternator. Jobbo said his Boxster needed it replaced so I'm wondering if mine needs doing too as the battery isn't more than a couple of years old as I changed it when I bought it. There is also a subtle noise if you put your head above the engine cover that could well be alternator bearing...
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My dad was like “why does such a little car need such a big battery?”. I have to admit, I’ve no idea. I know it’s a 3.4 litre but surely it doesn’t need all that much cranking?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:37 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:13 pm I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect but it feels like it’s running better.
If that is actually the case I wonder whether it points to a dicky alternator. Jobbo said his Boxster needed it replaced so I'm wondering if mine needs doing too as the battery isn't more than a couple of years old as I changed it when I bought it. There is also a subtle noise if you put your head above the engine cover that could well be alternator bearing...
Mine has a whine that sounds like a supercharger at around 2.5k rpm. I’ve had the pullies and tensioner replaced so it might be the alternator bearing. I’ll keep an eye on it. The volt gauge shows just over 14v when running so that seems ok.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ah - I don't have a volt gauge. 1-0 to the 996 on that front.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Get one that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket ?
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:41 pm Ah - I don't have a volt gauge. 1-0 to the 996 on that front.
Worth having a cheap one for basics, just in the glove box or garage or somewhere equally 'easy at hand' for when the car plays up.

Not a £100 Fluke, just a £10 Halfords special is good enough for the basics and can be quite useful just 'around the house' for simple things.