Your fleet running reports

NotoriousREV

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:03 pm @NotoriousREV bilt hammer wheel cleaner is my favourite, but you have now stripped off any wax you had on them.
Reapplied the Ceramic wax on them.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Good. Next time just wash them normally until the wax fooks off.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nic wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:53 pm Falken 510 SUV’s are a very good tyre in my opinion, definitely not a budget brand. I have them on my touareg in 275/40/20 and they are great in the awful conditions we’ve been having recently and are highly rated (the suv tyre anyway) in autoexpress tyre test 2019.
I'm having a set of FK510 (normal, not SUV) fitted on Friday 8-)

I was using Camskill & Black Circles to price up the various options and Black Circles put a big margin on the Falkens taking them to almost PS4S price so I'd kinda ignored them. But it turns out my local place can do an *excellent* price on the Falkens. Set of four fully fitted comes to over £100 less than supply-only from Camskill ! Nice.

Also worth noting, the FK510 come in a very wide range of sizes, much more than other manufacturers.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:15 pm Back when I got my 911 I spent a full day doing a clay and machine polish, finished off with a layer of Meguiars spray Ceramic Wax, which got great reviews and was dirt cheap in Halfords.

I actually hate washing cars, so don’t do it very often. In fact, I haven’t washed the Porsche since then. Even so, water was still beading fairly well after 4 months, albeit not quite as nicely as when it was first done.

Seeing as it was nice today, I thought I’d give it a quick going over. I used Bilt Hamber on the wheels, Meguiars Snow Foam on the rest, and gave it a quick wipe over with a sponge mitt before finishing off with another coat of the Ceramic Wax.

I have to say, for the minimal amount of effort I put in, I’m extremely happy with the results.

NIce. And you've reminded me I've still not got round to using that Ceramic Wax spray, which I bought when it was discussed here previously (maybe when you last/first washed your 911, in fact).
Left over crest; tightens.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I noticed quite a big bulge on the sidewall of the front driver side tyre on my dad's A4. Both front tyres were pretty much done, so they were replaced with another pair of Pirelli Cinturato P7. Then, I went to fuel up the A4 and the outer fuel lid wouldn't open. It was a bit embarrassing as I was holding up a queue of cars, it was one of those badly designed petrol stations where you can only fit one car on the path with hoses on both sides. Went home to check the manual and as I thought, there's a backup way to open with the fuel lid when the central locking fails. Opened the boot trim on the right side, located and pulled the red lever, and thankfully the lid opened.
M235i
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:06 am I noticed quite a big bulge on the sidewall of the front driver side tyre on my dad's A4. Both front tyres were pretty much done, so they were replaced with another pair of Pirelli Cinturato P7. Then, I went to fuel up the A4 and the outer fuel lid wouldn't open. It was a bit embarrassing as I was holding up a queue of cars, it was one of those badly designed petrol stations where you can only fit one car on the path with hoses on both sides. Went home to check the manual and as I thought, there's a backup way to open with the fuel lid when the central locking fails. Opened the boot trim on the right side, located and pulled the red lever, and thankfully the lid opened.
Treina’s TT did this a lot when the battery was low, a very odd fault. Since the new battery was fitted it hasn’t happened since. Weird.

Dave!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 am
Treina’s TT did this a lot when the battery was low, a very odd fault. Since the new battery was fitted it hasn’t happened since. Weird.

Dave!
Interesting. I'll keep an eye out ta.
M235i
GG.

Post by GG. »

Parked up in central London to do some Christmas shopping in central London and a parking warden asked me if the 911 was a hybrid as it has the fuel filler on the front wing. :lol:

Raised an interesting question though - isn’t that standard for all mid or rear engines cars as the fuel tank is presumably up front?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not our rear engined vw camper or fiat 850. Both have the fuel tank in front of the engine above the gearbox. Fiat has the filler under the engine cover right at the back, camper has it in the normal on the side by the rear wheel position.

911s have always had them at the front though haven't they?
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep they have. They did also have a filler for oil on the rear wing which was only for one year as people kept putting fuel in the oil :o

Those are called oelkelappe IIRC - ‘oil door’ :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:05 am Parked up in central London to do some Christmas shopping in central London and a parking warden asked me if the 911 was a hybrid as it has the fuel filler on the front wing. :lol:

Raised an interesting question though - isn’t that standard for all mid or rear engines cars as the fuel tank is presumably up front?
Elise tank is between the engine and the rear seats.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Boxster filler is also on the front wing. No idea where the tank is. I’ve not even seen an engine yet.
mik

Post by mik »

Evora is on the rear flank. Not my car.

My tank is on the tyre tread.

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Thanks to some very clever people on the internet, I’ve got latest 2020 nav maps to load onto the two BMWs, and the required activation codes. For free !

F01 is due to be dropped off here about 8pm.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Strangely, my windows have started working again.
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

JonMad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 pm Strangely, my windows have started working again.
I would guess water in the control box...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

An odd failure on the A2, the lights on buzzer has stopped working. The low fuel warning still sounds, and I thought they used the same buzzer :? Flat battery avoided by nice neighbour knocking to let me know the lights were on 8-)
I hit series of big fecker potholes t'other day. I've got away a lot better than some of you from it but the geo's been knocked out and it now pulls weightily to the left.

Scotishers; how much of a necessity are winter tyres at this time of year? Is it just a case of checking the weather on the day or are places more predictable than that? I'll probably go for a random roadtrip at some point and I wouldn't want to drop myself in avoidable bother.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 pm Picture evidence or you're assumed to be trolling.
Just for you.

And because I'm clearly far too posh to have normal custard, here's a box of Waitrose cornflour instead.

IMG_1758.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The car is all fine except the rear passenger side footwell was full of water :?

Now, it wasn't full of water when I viewed the car on Saturday, and they kindly washed it again before delivering it, so I'm hoping someone hadn't shut the door properly when they jetwashed it. I actually had a very similar issue with the 5, except it was in the boot. That dried out no problem and never came back.

If it's not that, it's almost definitely the sunroof drain(s). I normally deliberately seek out cars *without* a sunroof but they were standard on the 740d unfortunately. It'll be easier to sort it out myself rather than going back-and-forth to Swindon.

The tyres are still s**t but new ones are going on first thing Friday morning.

The nav is still on the original 2011 maps. Once my laptop finishes copying 23GB of new maps onto a USB stick I'll be able to update it.

Oh, and it has those awful BMW logo puddle lights on the front doors. I've swapped them with the lights from the rear doors so that I'll never notice them again !
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 pm Picture evidence or you're assumed to be trolling.
Just for you.

And because I'm clearly far too posh to have normal custard, here's a box of Waitrose cornflour instead.

IMG_1758.jpg
A non-silver car purchase and the Heart incident of last month... Are you sure you're you?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away