Your fleet running reports

Alex88

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Alex88 »

That's some good going, Mike 8-)

Funnily enough, it was MOT day for the 650i as well. Failed because the pump for the washer jets had given up, which I knew about and had already supplied the part for them to fix.

All done and no other fail reasons/advisories 8-)

Active ARB unit getting replaced on Wednesday.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

GF's Beetle still making a whirring type noise following its timing belt/water pump change. Garage took the car back in, said they took it all apart and inspected it. They say it's lined up to the indicator perfectly and isn't over-tensioned. They reckon the noise will disappear over time.

It doesn't make the noise when idling, but is more apparent at low speed when lifting off the accelerator & when coasting. Don't hear it when accelerating as the engine noise masks it.

Not sure if I should get another garage to inspect it or not. Did speak to another one but they said it would take 3-4 hours to check it out. Not sure if it's worth it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sounds daft, but check that you haven’t got directional tyres and they’ve had the wheels off and put them back the wrong way around……
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Alex88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:43 pm They reckon the noise will disappear over time.
:lol: The classic "We've no idea but we need you out of the way" line.
tim

Post by tim »

Rover 45 1.4 Impression S DaddyIsThisAsFastAsItGoes Edition

I noticed today whilst engaged in some circus driving (I was sub-optimally present in the wrong location) that late braking into the roundabout at the end of the bypass from vMax (105 mph so far) is not for the feint of heart. Not least of all because of the grumbling noises coming from the jam lids masquarading as brakes.

So new discs and pads then. £50 all-in from brakeparts.co.uk :D :D £20 less than I just tipped into it's fuel tank earlier. lol.

I'm still charmed by the simplicity and analogue nature of my temporary transport, but temporary is most certainly is.

Jag-war XJ8 I'mSorryISeemToHaveForgottenMyWallet Edition

Hasn't really moved since I parked it up post-MOT, due to telephone number style legal bill needing dealing with first (see happy thread for details - totally worth it). However I did give it a good clean Sunday after the pikey's fireworks left ash all over it, and just sitting in it made me miss driving it very much.

Hopefully by the end of the year it'll at least be in the workshop, if not fixed. My folks are both coming over for Christmas, for the first time in 5 years, and I really want to waft them around in it.

BMW R1250RT LE

Still the best bike in the world. Needs a service and possibly a rear tyre soon.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Alex88 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:37 pm That's some good going, Mike 8-)

Funnily enough, it was MOT day for the 650i as well. Failed because the pump for the washer jets had given up, which I knew about and had already supplied the part for them to fix.

All done and no other fail reasons/advisories 8-)

Active ARB unit getting replaced on Wednesday.
Good to hear!

They showed me the discs when I went to pick it up and yeah...they were a bit on the slim side :lol:

Also had an advisory for rear tyres. Checking back through the MOT history that's been there a few years on the trot, but I got new ones in 3yrs ago. I've managed just 15k out of the GY F1 Assym GSD3s - and just 1yr and 10k before the 1st advisory on them. Fairly disappointing as I usually manage better than that. But then I've never been impressed with this particular set despite normally being a fan of F1s.

So I think it'll be a set of Pilot Sport 4 next. ANy other recommendations?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

New compact update,

Tints removed, nightmare job as they’d been on years and gone really brittle so came off in many many pieces. And left all the glue on the window. Still some reside left, but it’s a hateful job so can only tackle a bit at a time before I get fed up.

It only came with one key, thankfully I have a spares compact with its full set of four original keys.

Unfortunately the ignition barrels weren’t compatible, and I couldn’t work out how to get the one off the old car apart, so stripped its boot lock to get the code for the sliders.

Disassembled the new ignition barrel and mixed and matched with some parts from a lock from one of the old boot lids I’d bought for the m3 at some point. New ignition barrel works with old keys 😎 boot lock and drivers door handle were swapped over.

Old compact had a blank pass door handle, which is fitted to the silver compact. I could have just disconnected the lever attaching the lock to the latch, but did similar to the ignition and stripped it down and mixed and matched slides to get it working with the old keys.

Phew.

Pass door electric window regulator was knackered, both arms horribly twisted. Luckily I had a spare car for that. Unfortunately they’re riveted in and we’re a pain to drill out. Reattached with nuts and bolts, new slider clips fitted to both doors.

Inevitably pulling the door cards off meant most of the clip brackets fell off the card, gorilla glue epoxy to the rescue.

Nice shiny new numberplates in the correct pre 2001 font fitted.

Silvered bulbs fitted to front and rear indicators to get rid of the fried egg look.

Didn’t like the black grilles so ordered some chrome ones. They didn’t fit. Turns out it’s had a new nose and got a pre facelift one, but had had some aftermarket facelift style grilles fitted. Handily I had a spare set of early grilles. It needs a new nose anyway, and had been thinking about fitting an early one as I prefer how they look and it would also match the ‘96 M3.

Headlights removed, opened up and cleaned as the internal lenses had gone misty. Aftermarket hid kit removed as the compact uses cheaper reflector lights. I’ll swap to some full fat e36 lights at some point, or maybe finish the aftermarket his projector conversion I started when I had the silver compact…

Oh, and welded up one of the downpipes which has cracked down the seam for some reason.

Not sure what to do with the suspension, I don’t like how it sits, and much as I hate to admit it, the front might be too low 😳 genuine AC Schnitzer springs though. Might see if there’s room for a spacer under the topmounts to raise it a bit while I decide what to do.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Some photos to go with the above
Cheers, Harry
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:09 pm
Also had an advisory for rear tyres. Checking back through the MOT history that's been there a few years on the trot, but I got new ones in 3yrs ago. I've managed just 15k out of the GY F1 Assym GSD3s - and just 1yr and 10k before the 1st advisory on them. Fairly disappointing as I usually manage better than that. But then I've never been impressed with this particular set despite normally being a fan of F1s.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports have been good on the 500/600 miles or so I've had them on. Can't really comment on tyre wear but good good grip and nice feel through the front tyres. Meant to be an equivalent to P4S but we're cheaper than P4 in my size
mik

Post by mik »

@integrale_evo seeing all those lock pins reminded me of fixing the 944 boot lock. My late dad did all the thinking - he was quite into locks in general - mixed and matched pins from a couple of different ones and made them fit the existing key. worked a treat in the end.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nice work @integrale_evo 8-)

IIRC changing the nose cone means changing the slam panel too ? I’ve never done it but I’m sure I’ve read descriptions of it being more difficult than it sounds.

Oh, and early grille with facelift side indicators will make me twitch every time I see it.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Oh, it will bug me too, but it gets it tidy and useable for now while I decide whether it’s a long term keeper or not, later on I can decide whether to do it how I want it or how it’s supposed to be :lol:

As far as I can remember they’re just bolt on, the power steering cooler pipes run through the side of it which makes it a bit of a pain on later cars. I think they’re seam sealered along the sides by the headlights as originally they’re fitted before the car is painted, but no welds.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:09 pm Also had an advisory for rear tyres. Checking back through the MOT history that's been there a few years on the trot, but I got new ones in 3yrs ago. I've managed just 15k out of the GY F1 Assym GSD3s - and just 1yr and 10k before the 1st advisory on them. Fairly disappointing as I usually manage better than that. But then I've never been impressed with this particular set despite normally being a fan of F1s.

My Audi came with a nearly new set of Goodyear Assym 5s on it and I can't say I like them much. They aren't noisy, they are fine for aquaplaning resistance on the motorway, but they seem to have quite soft sidewalls and even when pumped up above the recommended minimum pressure look a bit squashed and, worse, tramline particularly when cold. In the real world they're just not quite as nice as the reviews and specs would lead me to think. Not worn out yet so I'm not directly replacing them, just switching to 18"s and winter tyres, which will become all-seasons of some sort next spring.

Having said that I have looked at tyre choices quite a bit in the last year for my Merc then the Audi and I never seem to find Continentals available. That's odd because they're very decent tyres and they sponsor Jonny Smith's Late Brake Show, so you'd assume they're trying to sell them. I'm not sure I have particularly odd tyres sizes either. I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my CLS (well, on the front anyway) and liked them so I think they'd be a good choice but I'd love to know what Contis are like.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That's interesting Simon. That pretty much echos my thoughts on the GSD3. I much preferred the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas I had prior, and I note they now do Ultrac Vorti which, although they don't do as well the bg players in tests, still seem decent. The Sessantas were always down the results but I really liked them But I'll be buggered if I can find anywhere that has the Vredesteins in!

In fact, from a quick search on the main suppliers, choices are pretty limited generally. Perhaps linked to the wider supply chain issues at the moment?

So at the mo the PS4 look promising (albeit still read a few reviews noting that they don't offer much feedback on turn in), or it's Continental. Trouble is, I've never had a set of Contis on any car that I've rated either. Not much choice beyond that. :(
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think that would be my comment on the PS4 too; it suited my sitting on the motorway very well but it definitely didn't feel incisive.

Have to say I've grown out of finding the tyre test winners these days and go for tyre manufacturers who I've tried before and know I like the feel of their products.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Dreaded engine check light came on last week but the car was running fine, albeit sounding slightly more rough in the morning - starts with the exhaust valves open - possibly due to the colder weather. The diagnostics tool showed it was just one of the cats not working as efficiently as it should be which could be anything from a faulty cat, O2 sensor or that the drop in temperature was causing it to have a bit of a strop first thing.

Looks like a fairly common fault though and its in the bank which had an O2 sensor replaced when I did the exhaust. I did fine a few posts which said putting some additive or even a tank of V-Power had cleared it for them so thought it was worth a try.

Ran the car down to the reserve and filled-up with V-Power at an eye watering cost.

One week later? No error and the car is running very smoothly indeed which is something I can never remember happening before on V-Power when I've tried it with other cars.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Maybe E10 giving it some grief?
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:28 pm I think that would be my comment on the PS4 too; it suited my sitting on the motorway very well but it definitely didn't feel incisive.

Have to say I've grown out of finding the tyre test winners these days and go for tyre manufacturers who I've tried before and know I like the feel of their products.
Hence why I'm a bit miffed I can't find anywhere with any Vredesteins! :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve been tyre shopping recently and noticed massive reductions in choices of brands / styles even in fairly common sizes.

Don’t know whether it’s supply issues or what.
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 pm Ran the car down to the reserve and filled-up with V-Power at an eye watering cost.

One week later? No error and the car is running very smoothly indeed which is something I can never remember happening before on V-Power when I've tried it with other cars.

I can't answer the why but the A2 gets similar codes running on 95 that also clear with V-Power. It's supposed to be fine on 95 rather than just "will run on". I'd forgotten about it until v recently when I filled with supermarket 95 because it was 20p odd a litre less than V-Power :o :lol: :evil: