Your fleet running reports

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Delphi »

Got a tyre pressure warning for the near side rear on the XC40 the other day. Checked it and discovered a cable clip embedded right in the shoulder where it's not repairable. The tyre's only done 4000 miles - bag of arse. Tyres on the drive (now part of Halfords) came and fitted a brand new tyre for £155 yesterday. Quick efficient service. Will certainly consider using them again.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've not used Tyres on the drive specifically, but I'm a big fan of getting tyres fitted at home now. Saves a load of time.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Loud banging started on the 4 series and quickly got worse, I thought the exhaust had come off a hanger but it turns out it’s split around the DPF, helpfully that part is dealer only. :( A local garage reckon they can weld it so hopefully that will save me a lot!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Just about to order 4 Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for the V60, and not sure whether or not to swap the Dunlop Sportmaxx on the XF.

There's loads of life left on the Dunlops, and they're decent in the dry, but absolutely shocking in the wet, they were all Brand new when I picked the car up and only have 3k on them as well.

Might get a set of Michelin Super Sport Pilots, seem decent priced and have good reviews.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

16vCento wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:40 pm Just about to order 4 Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for the V60, and not sure whether or not to swap the Dunlop Sportmaxx on the XF.

There's loads of life left on the Dunlops, and they're decent in the dry, but absolutely shocking in the wet, they were all Brand new when I picked the car up and only have 3k on them as well.

Might get a set of Michelin Super Sport Pilots, seem decent priced and have good reviews.
MPSS are good in the warm/dry but other tyres are better in all conditions like MPS4S or Goodyear F1SS and that what I'd be fitting. I've ran MPS4 and F1SS on the M140i and keep going back to the Goodyear's as I find them to be brilliant.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:03 pm
16vCento wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:40 pm Just about to order 4 Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for the V60, and not sure whether or not to swap the Dunlop Sportmaxx on the XF.

MPSS are good in the warm/dry but other tyres are better in all conditions like MPS4S or Goodyear F1SS and that what I'd be fitting. I've ran MPS4 and F1SS on the M140i and keep going back to the Goodyear's as I find them to be brilliant.
I had F1 SS on my S60 and they were a very good tyre, might go for another set of those then.

Edit: cheap too! https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s340p16 ... se%3A_73dB
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Delphi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:29 pm Got a tyre pressure warning for the near side rear on the XC40 the other day. Checked it and discovered a cable clip embedded right in the shoulder where it's not repairable. The tyre's only done 4000 miles - bag of arse. Tyres on the drive (now part of Halfords) came and fitted a brand new tyre for £155 yesterday. Quick efficient service. Will certainly consider using them again.
I used to use TOTD quite frequently - they were well priced and convenient. Clearly wasn't enough margin and they were rescued by Halfords, but it's a bit too pricey for me now, even taking into account the convenience.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Fitted some "Osram Nightbreakers" to the terrible candle headlights on the Up to try and improve things. While they're a little brighter, it's the spread pattern is what makes them so terrible, the beam doesn't go far enough. Oh how I wish for the Xenon's on the old Lupo GTi!

Also, the 4C is still broken. Not only had the alternator seized, it had also cracked the casing (not uncommon, according to Alfaworks). So refurbed internals, new case, refitted and....it's not charging the battery. So it's come back off and sent back to the refurbers.

The MOT expires on the 27th, and all the nearby MOT places are solid booked. I'm mega paranoid about where I take it as, like the Elise, incorrectly jacking up the car can really fuck things up. I might just book it back in at Alfaworks....but what's the limit to drive to a pre-booked MOT? Is 100 miles/2 hours taking the piss? And how many times will I get pinged on the way down the M6?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

16vCento wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:06 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:03 pm

I had F1 SS on my S60 and they were a very good tyre, might go for another set of those then.

Edit: cheap too! https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s340p16 ... se%3A_73dB
Blimey. That is cheap!!
tim

Post by tim »

Matty wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 pmbut what's the limit to drive to a pre-booked MOT? Is 100 miles/2 hours taking the piss? And how many times will I get pinged on the way down the M6?
There isn't one.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 am
Matty wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 pmbut what's the limit to drive to a pre-booked MOT? Is 100 miles/2 hours taking the piss? And how many times will I get pinged on the way down the M6?
There isn't one.
What Tim said.
dan

Post by dan »

Matty wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 pm Fitted some "Osram Nightbreakers" to the terrible candle headlights on the Up to try and improve things. While they're a little brighter, it's the spread pattern is what makes them so terrible, the beam doesn't go far enough. Oh how I wish for the Xenon's on the old Lupo GTi!

Also, the 4C is still broken. Not only had the alternator seized, it had also cracked the casing (not uncommon, according to Alfaworks). So refurbed internals, new case, refitted and....it's not charging the battery. So it's come back off and sent back to the refurbers.

The MOT expires on the 27th, and all the nearby MOT places are solid booked. I'm mega paranoid about where I take it as, like the Elise, incorrectly jacking up the car can really fuck things up. I might just book it back in at Alfaworks....but what's the limit to drive to a pre-booked MOT? Is 100 miles/2 hours taking the piss? And how many times will I get pinged on the way down the M6?
Bring it to me if you like, I use the guys in a unit on my estate for MOT's and they're careful and I get to drool over your car :D

I'd be amazed if you ever got done for no MOT, i've accidentally gone months without one in the past :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

Had a fun couple of hours in the garage with my lad yesterday, servicing the Rover.

We did oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and attempted to the cabin filter but Halfords had sent the wrong one. Gave the existing one a good hoover out - it was absolutely caked! But it'll do for now.

These are the plugs that came out. It's been quite a while since I last did plugs, but those centre electrodes look pretty degraded to me, or are they pointy like that now on some plugs? The new ones I put in weren't like that.

It's still epically slow, however. :)
Matty

Post by Matty »

dan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:30 am Bring it to me if you like, I use the guys in a unit on my estate for MOT's and they're careful and I get to drool over your car :D

I'd be amazed if you ever got done for no MOT, i've accidentally gone months without one in the past :lol:
Well, same - I went for ages on an old car but I assumed it was because I didn't really use motorways to hit an ANPR.

The Alfa is only in Stourbridge Dan, so pretty close to you. What's the name of the garage? I'll give them a call in the week and check the availability - would make it much easier as it'll be a few weeks before I can get in with the Alfaworks guys.
mik

Post by mik »

tim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15 am
These are the plugs that came out. It's been quite a while since I last did plugs, but those centre electrodes look pretty degraded to me, or are they pointy like that now on some plugs? The new ones I put in weren't like that.

Yeah the NGK plugs we put in eldest miklet’s car a while back were pointy from new. Those ones look pretty tired though.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:59 am
tim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 am
There isn't one.
What Tim said.
What they said.

Just make sure it's definitely pre-booked and written down somewhere at the MOT place, so that if plod ever do any enquiries they'll see you're not lying.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No MOT and your car is safe as far as plod is concerned. No tax and it’s a baby murdering death trap ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

8-) Getting there

A little lower than standard so I’m really pleased with the ride height. When it gets the respray I’m going to find a 10mm or so deep rubber lip on the front bumper as it was close to kerbs etc before and will be a bit closer now. Plus I think it’ll give it a slightly more aggressive look.

MOT and air-con next. Just needs a re-gas, maybe.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Ooh yeah 8-)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »