Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:12 pm With the excitement of maybe having the Porsche nice to drive again I figured I should insure & tax it and properly try it out. It’s been off the road for over two years.

I had some trepidation due to all the stories of insurance going through the roof recently, but adding it to the admiral policy alongside the 360 until renewal at the end of July is…. £56.72 :lol:

IMG_0646.jpeg
that's awesome, though how much does the fleet cost?
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:12 pm Porsche - adding it to the admiral policy alongside the 360 until renewal at the end of July is…. £56.72 :evil:
Typical rip-off insurers - I think you're quite right to be upset. :evil:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:25 am that's awesome, though how much does the fleet cost?
Last renewal for the main policy with Reis was at the end of July and came to:

£401.46 Cayenne
£370.90 Flying Spur
£321.02 Vantage
£236.25 Cooper S
£137.92 Compact

By total coincidence (honestly) the 360 arrived one day before the Reis renewal date, and I'd already found they weren't competitive, so went with Admiral. Zero no claims but they did me some kind of deal - and they didn't want a tracker and they had no problem adding Gavster as a named driver.

£444.53 360

I added the Smart on 22nd Nov, part-premium to the renewal at the end of July.

£127.36 Smart

And yesterday I added the Porsche, again just to the end of July.

£56.72 996

Doing a direct pro-rata on the partial ones, that comes to £2,267.23 for a whole year. It's less than the VED...

Reis seem to be contracting back to their core business of competition cars only so I'm expecting to move it all to Admiral at renewal time.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Seems extremely reasonable! I guess they're banking that you can only drive one at a time!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

What's the mileage limit on each SJ? :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:52 am What's the mileage limit on each SJ? :D
How far is it to his local MOT station? ;)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:52 am What's the mileage limit on each SJ? :D
:D

Interesting thing though, putting the Porsche on with Admiral, their default mileage of 10k was actually cheaper than if I put it down to 2k.

<shrug>
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:34 am
:D

Interesting thing though, putting the Porsche on with Admiral, their default mileage of 10k was actually cheaper than if I put it down to 2k.

<shrug>
This is an interesting comment. I'd never fiddled around with increasing the estimated mileage. I think both of mine are down as likely to do 4 or 5k p.a.

The GTS has done 1900 miles since I bought it last June so not likely likely that will exceed 3k.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:58 am
How far is it to his local MOT station? ;)
1.6 miles.

MOT2024.JPG
MOT2024.JPG (33.42 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

New roof glued onto the Smart, it's a slightly scrappy plastic one, however it fully ticks the box of being price-appropriate for the car. It will also allay the new fear that was unlocked when the last one popped :lol:

Used some Sika adhesive sealant which had no English instructions and ranks high in in the 'STB' adhesive category. It's grabbier than a mum of four in Tesco at yellow sticker time.

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Don’t forget to take the strap off when you drive it next time! :lol:
John

Post by John »

New dash cluster fitted to the mx5 today after the screen displaying the engine info failed. The mileage must be stored in the cluster as it had one mile on the new clocks when I collected it. The repair is recorded in the service history but I may look into having the mileage "corrected". From reading the various online groups this particular fault is becoming quite common too.

Not sure if I've mentioned the other problem I have, the bushes (actually spherical bearings) in the rear hub assembly are knocking/rattling and Mazda only sell the complete hub assemblies at £1125 per side fitted :shock: They have kindly offered a 50% contribution though :roll: Various aftermarket solutions are starting to appear supplying just the bushes needed so I'll be replacing them myself.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

John, remind me - is that a current shape MX5? I had thought that was my safest option for running costs and reliability (against an A110 and a 992) but I’m not sure I like these stories. Maybe another mk1 would be the right answer 😄
John

Post by John »

Yes the latest ND 184. The repairs aren't too expensive if you can do them yourself. Mazda insist on fitting a complete dash cluster for some reason even though the screen is available separately for less than £200, the bushes are £325.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

An afternoon of changing pads today.
Rears on the X5
Fronts and rears on the F150
All very pleasant, nothing seized, didn’t cut my wrists open, it even stayed sunny and I worked in an old tatty £5 t-shirt ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I finally fixed the passenger leccy seat in the Bentley. Both sides went a bit weird a while back and although the driver's side worked again after a reset the passenger one did not. Seeing as I do not use the passenger seat while driving :lol: this was not a big deal but we're planning another road trip to Germany in the summer and I might want to be a passenger.

There's a fuse box under the carpet in the passenger footwell that contains thermal fuses for seats, windows, and rear side window demisters. These cars tend to leak. The fuse box gets flooded. Looks like this.

IMG_0681.jpeg
IMG_0681.jpeg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 487 times
IMG_0682.jpeg
IMG_0682.jpeg (246.91 KiB) Viewed 487 times

Amazingly only two of the fuses are actually ruined. Cleaned up & rearranged so that we don't have rear side demist any more but we do have adjustable seats.

Next big job is the saggy headliner. Looks to be a major exercise.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm John, remind me - is that a current shape MX5? I had thought that was my safest option for running costs and reliability (against an A110 and a 992) but I’m not sure I like these stories. Maybe another mk1 would be the right answer 😄
From the buyer of mine, which I find difficult to believe from a garage queen, plus I would have noticed.

I just picked up the Mazda from Anand Viad, the guy who does rust proofing. Not cheap (£1600) but almost certainly worth it to keep the car in good health for a long time. He said there was a fair amount of rust in the underbody that needed treatment, but it's all sorted.

He said that vigorous underbody washing can drive water into the crevices which can remain wet for a long time.
I didn't know whether the car would have rust, and would have had it done anyway.
He also said that every car is different, because they're made in small numbers somewhat by hand, so they all have different amounts of underbody treatment when they leave the factory.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Have you driven a a110 Jobbo? I had my car in for alignment last week and the garage also had an awesome looking a110r belonging to https://www.instagram.com/alpine_life110. Not sure I could justify an alpine but seeing another up close has got me thinking.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Calipers so happy to have new pads.
Mito Man wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:15 pm
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Finally a dry afternoon to get the dash cam wires in, ran out of time, still need to get the power connectors sorted.
Boot was time consuming having to feed the cable through various locations.