Your fleet running reports

DeskJockey

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:09 am
Alex88 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 am I do want to get the exhaust sorted soon so I can hear it a little more. PCW mods is about a 20 min drive from me and gets good reviews, so will probably contact him first.
Over-enthusiastic silencing of V8’s shall be a crime after the revolution.
Speaking of which: Did you watch Hoovies latest video on the Cayenne? It sounds rather spectacular without the the central silencer (so presumably just manifold and cat).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am Was it yours that had the window seal issue?
It did have a dodgy window seal, yes. I think that was present when I bought it about five years ago. If the previous owner had used Gummi Pflege or similar then it probably could have been avoided. Oh well.
Last edited by Alex88 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Alex88 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 am I do want to get the exhaust sorted soon so I can hear it a little more. PCW mods is about a 20 min drive from me and gets good reviews, so will probably contact him first.
And rightly so. It sounds fantastic when you're in Sport and giving it some, but a little too reigned in for 'normal' driving.. Having the back window down does help. I imagine not having a constant booming exhaust was quite appealing to 6 buyers when they were new.
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am
Speaking of which: Did you watch Hoovies latest video on the Cayenne? It sounds rather spectacular without the the central silencer (so presumably just manifold and cat).
I did not (I am not a regular).

Most of the VXR8 aftermarket systems replaced the centre silencer with an x-pipe or H-pipe and used only a back box at each side. (With various degrees of silencing in those back boxes). Some folks still fit (fob -actuated) “cut out” valves avoid the rear boxes and effectively have straight-through pipes exiting ahead of the rear boxes. Never fancied that - in my mind if you are anti-social loud, you’ve better back that up with (approx) one millionty bhp.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am Speaking of which: Did you watch Hoovies latest video on the Cayenne? It sounds rather spectacular without the the central silencer (so presumably just manifold and cat).
I did; sounded wonderful. Reminded me of my E39 540i Touring which broke its exhaust studs, when I was meeting DaveE from here in fact. When I started it up I thought there was a TVR somewhere on the other side of the car park but as the exhaust separated, and the studs on the other side also broke, it became obvious it was me and somewhat more amusing.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:22 am
Jimexpl wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm I’ve been in Cornwall for most of August, so have only done about 10 miles in the Compact since replacing the idle control valve.
It still has an oil pressure sensor fault, but I haven’t fitted the replacement yet, so that might not help that I still have an issue.
Unfortunately it hasn’t completely solved the problem. It no longer goes into limp home mode, but has an occasional rough idle when coming to a stop which then goes away after about ten seconds, or the idle is perfect and the EML and engine symbol comes on.
My eBay diagnostics tells me it runs lean on two banks when this happens, so perhaps I have an air leak. I’ll do the oil sensor and have a better look at it, or throw it at my mechanic because I’ve got no time.

Gummi pfledge to the door and boot seals has eliminated most of the creaks.

The 4” rip in the drivers seat was sorted today - it cost 20% of the purchase price of the car...
New foam in the bolster, new leather panel, shrink and reconnolise the whole seat.
This and a new ZHP gear knob have made a massive difference to how fresh the car feels when you get in it.
I hadn’t found time to look at the car again, or get it to my mechanic, so have it to a garage that I can almost see from the front of my building, but haven’t used for years.
They found and fixed two air leaks using a smoke test, fitted my oil temp sensor and put it on the ramps to have a quick check over. £100.
Two short runs and it seems cured, so money well spent.
This didn't completely cure it, but a used geniune MAF for £50 on ebay did. I'm enjoying the car, so have ordered new rear springs and oem Bilstein shocks, plus an upgraded aluminum DISA valve flap.
While looking for a photo on my phone it made me realise how most of us carry around a record of our car history these days. There's only four missing from cars I've bought to keep (SIII 88" V8, E39 540i, E91 325i and a Fiesta Ghia) -

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Has a Fiat Brava ever been driven more enthusiastically 8-) :lol:
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Carlos wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm Has a Fiat Brava ever been driven more enthusiastically 8-) :lol:
That was up at Bruntingthorpe when they still did track days, probably 2006.
I’d booked the day ages before, but didn’t have a suitable car when it came up, so bolted some harnesses in it and stripped the interior. It stood up really well, with the rear pretty mobile under heavy braking. The roll did wear the 500 mile old Avon’s down to the canvas on the outside edge though...
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

There's a definite theme to your past cars 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers important dates and events in their life by the car they were driving at the time :lol:

I used to be able to narrow it down further by the wheels that particular car was on at the time too :lol:
Cheers, Harry
JonathanE

Post by JonathanE »

You're right about keeping a folder of photos of past cars; here are most of mine (some more lamented than others). Hopefully this doesn't come across as boastful; it's more in case anyone else is curious about any of these cars, as some of them are quite rare (e.g. the Multipla ;) )

Jonathan
Attachments
Car-history copy.jpg
Car-history copy.jpg (223.68 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

JonathanE wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:56 pm You're right about keeping a folder of photos of past cars; here are most of mine (some more lamented than others). Hopefully this doesn't come across as boastful; it's more in case anyone else is curious about any of these cars, as some of them are quite rare (e.g. the Multipla ;) )

Jonathan
You like having three front seats!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

I also used to keep a list of company cars, but rarely took photos (about 60 cars 2002-2008), and most we’re pre-iPhone.
The only one on my phone is the Z06 that I specified for Rowan Atkinson, but he cancelled the order as he was going to be in the USA for 18 months. One of my salesman then pre-sold it as a Christmas present with up to 4,000 miles on it (they were in short supply on a 6 month lead time).
At 3,800 miles I stopped using it, but had to lend it to the Birmingham showroom for a demo, as we’d also sold the other only one in the country.
Sales manager (ex-Ferrari), took the receptionist out for a drive at lunch time and did this...

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nightmare
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:03 pm I also used to keep a list of company cars, but rarely took photos (about 60 cars 2002-2008), and most we’re pre-iPhone.
The only one on my phone is the Z06 that I specified for Rowan Atkinson, but he cancelled the order as he was going to be in the USA for 18 months. One of my salesman then pre-sold it as a Christmas present with up to 4,000 miles on it (they were in short supply on a 6 month lead time).
At 3,800 miles I stopped using it, but had to lend it to the Birmingham showroom for a demo, as we’d also sold the other only one in the country.
Sales manager (ex-Ferrari), took the receptionist out for a drive at lunch time and did this...

Oh dear... Spilt diesel on a roundabout I assume...
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:49 am
Jimexpl wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:03 pm I also used to keep a list of company cars, but rarely took photos (about 60 cars 2002-2008), and most we’re pre-iPhone.

Something like that! The insurance co sold it on and I believe it’s fully repaired somewhere in Europe.
mik

Post by mik »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:49 am

“Yeah Sharon, I could pick you up at 8 and bring this... they are pretty fast... not easy to demonstrate here, but hang on.... watch this...”
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just did a car shuffle and got the 500e onto the front drive ready to take it to Mr Flew tomorrow. Reminded me how much I love big capacity torquey engines. As much as the ML is a great engine for its job it just feels a bit less substantial and not as angry as the earlier stuff.

Fucking electric motors can fuck off :lol:

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm Just did a car shuffle and got the 500e onto the front drive ready to take it to Mr Flew tomorrow.
What you getting done? 8-)

And check whether his used-oil burning heater is still keeping the workshop warm. :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm Just did a car shuffle and got the 500e onto the front drive ready to take it to Mr Flew tomorrow.
What you getting done? 8-)

And check whether his used-oil burning heater is still keeping the workshop warm. :)
Pretty much all the suspension bar the dampers. New h+r lowering springs, paint or powder coat what isn’t shiny, under seal where needed (it’s pretty good to be fair) and then hopefully get it an MOT.
There is lots more involved but I want it to use all year round with just a good jetwash to keep it looking nice.

In Jan it goes for a full respray so by the start of April it’ll be minty mint.

Dave!