Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

Not my fleet, but had a message from the guy I sold my RS2 to many years back. Still got it, sent me a pic. 8-) still CAF.
Attachments
RS2.jpg
RS2.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Still on the want list. Wouldn't pay £30k for one though ( like lots of other stuff I want )
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:56 pm Not my fleet, but had a message from the guy I sold my RS2 to many years back. Still got it, sent me a pic. 8-) still CAF.
I forgot you had one. Lovely.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nice. I was next to an original S6 Avant the other day. It looked lovely and sounded even better on some aftermarket exhaust.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'd forgotten you owned it too, Matt - was that before your 147GTA? And was it the original Autocar road test car?

Big question is: do you miss it? I have a hankering for an Audi with the 5-pot, probably an RS Q3 because I'm not a massive fan of the A3 or TT.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Yeah, M120 MJB was the one I owned, I had all the magazines it appeared in of which there were quite a few. Evo, Autocar etc. It was the time they were cheap though, I think I paid about £9500 for it.

It was after the 147GTA (although a short spell with the S1 Exige was sandwiched between). At the time I was doing very few miles, mainly around town and I remember it feeling heavy and mechanical, not helped by feeling quite slow off boost, before it went into (quite literally) hyperdrive after 3k. It had been remapped to 360bhp, so no slouch. But it was very much old-school driving style.

It just really didn't suit my needs at the time, so when someone offered me what I paid for it after 10 months, I took it - bear in mind I'd not even serviced, taxed or MOT'd it, it cost me only £60 for an oil pressure switch, felt like a good decision. Do I regret selling it? I regret not giving it some more investment to see if I could improve it - the suspension was shit (it has bilsteins and eibachs, but they were crazy firm), the tyres were god-awful budget crap and the new owner told me the timing was out and he had a new belt fitted which transformed the power delivery so it needed some cash throwing at it.

If they were still around £10k, I'd genuinely be interested in buying it back. But not at £30-40k.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

[mention]Matty[/mention]

Of all of you old cars, your RS2 was my favourite. The Exige would have been, just not in sliver.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:06 pm @Matty

Of all of you old cars, your RS2 was my favourite. The Exige would have been, just not in sliver.
Agreed, Silver wasn't my choice, but it actually worked well with the black accents. Personally I'd go Yellow or Cobalt Blue. Or that dark/gunmetal grey.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just bought two kittens and a car. Picture just of the car for the moment:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

How many kittehs does that make in the household?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’ll be 6 cats in total... anyway, this is a car forum. Despite my autocorrect now trying to change ‘car’ to 'cat' whenever I type it 😄
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Presumably the Jimny has a cat too?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm Presumably the Jimny has a cat too?
Each cat has a Daewoo.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm Presumably the Jimny has a cat too?
Each cat has a Daewoo.
Every dog has it's Daewoo 😂
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Excellent, Jobbo.
Are they as crap on the road as the reviews make out?
Can't wait to see how you get on with it off roading.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It's an interesting contrast to the Grand Vitara. It's dead easy to drive, nice light clutch, gearshift and steering. It's obviously pretty slow but it's very low geared (even in high range) and therefore it's nippy. I had it up to just over 70mph on the way home from collecting it, but I think 60 would be a more comfortable cruising speed on the motorway :lol:

The whole thing feels more tank-like than the Grand Vitara; the body feels solid and strong,the doors close solidly, the interior feels robust and looks amazingly good after 13 years (probably helped by having an elderly owner for the last 5 who barely used it and sold it because he gave up driving). It has charm, you can feel the live axles moving separately over bumps in the road, it rolls and does not encourage you to chuck it into bends... in contrast, the Grand Vitara was actually quite fun to throw around.

This is small enough to live in the garage, should hold its value pretty well, it'll be cheap to run... the only potential reason I might change it in the future is I'm going to try to get onto the waiting list for a brand new Jimny to replace it in a year or so's time. I don't think that's going to be terribly easy and I might not want to get rid of it that soon anyway, so we'll see.

I really wanted a proper live-axled, separate chassis 4x4 and this does that job perfectly.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I thought there was some issue with the new Jimny not meeting environmental targets or something (or did I dream that?) - I thought they were stopping selling them?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:14 pm Just bought two kittens and a car. Picture just of the car for the moment:
Looks very lovely that does 8-)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Matty wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:56 pm Not my fleet, but had a message from the guy I sold my RS2 to many years back. Still got it, sent me a pic. 8-) still CAF.
Proper motor!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:14 am I thought there was some issue with the new Jimny not meeting environmental targets or something (or did I dream that?) - I thought they were stopping selling them?
Apparently so - that's why I want to get on the waiting list now to get one before they stop. May not be possible but I'll try.

Oh, I'm glad we're putting a private plate on the Jimny because my wife spotted that it pretty much reads 'A-HOLE'