Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:13 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 am

Not even slightly. I don’t have an EV so why would I take it personally? I just think that the particular argument you were making was idiotic and I decided to call it out.
are we onto insults and name calling already?
I called your argument idiotic, not you.
That's The nicest thing you’ve ever said...😢

Right - no more car discussions then, back to being a politics only forum!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 am are we onto insults and name calling already?

That’s your takeaway from this? You make a daft argument, you get called out on it and that means you can’t discuss cars? OK everyone, Rich says we can only discuss things we all agree on! No one is to question Rich’s opinions or he’ll take his ball and go home!

Dry ‘em, ffs :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sorry [mention]Barry[/mention], I tried to defend you but dissenting opinions are no longer allowed. I’ll be round later to confiscate your Type R. I don’t make the rules...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:20 am

That’s your takeaway from this? You make a daft argument, you get called out on it and that means you can’t discuss cars? OK everyone, Rich says we can only discuss things we all agree on! No one is to question Rich’s opinions or he’ll take his ball and go home!

Dry ‘em, ffs :lol:
my takeaway, is I was having an interesting discussion with Barry, who owns an EV, and you jumped in like a prick as usual.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You seem to be taking my opinions personally, Rich. I’m not in the least bit sorry if you’re offended, which you very clearly are :lol:

I didn’t realise this was a private discussion between you and Barry. I was labouring under the misapprehension that it was a public discussion on a public forum. Please be sure to let me know when I’m allowed to join in.
Last edited by NotoriousREV on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:50 am
Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 am There is an EV YouTuber that tests the cars on a 1000km round trip, and times them for comparison, as it happens. The Kona will jump from 20%-80% in an hour so you'd be looking at an hour's break every 200+ miles. I'm willing to bet you'd do similar in an ICE car in reality.

In the last year there is one occasion where I needed to run down a full tank of petrol, fill up, and immediately run that down. That was on a long weekend in Scotland chasing like minded petrolheads. The rest of the year I would be just fine in this EV, and I have a two year lease to prove/disprove that case.
that means a Kona can do 155 miles at a time (in perfect conditions, not 200+ though.

Fair play to you Barry, as I said, I’m genuinely interested how people like you, who I respect the opinion of, get on rather than strangers with agendas.
Kona has a 250+ range Rich, 200+ for each stop was me taking the anxiety into account, and what the nerds inform me is the best operating range of EVs, stick between 20-80% and you get max recharge speeds (they throttle back after 80% for battery longevity reasons). You could do a big trip in a Kona, the only potential issue being charging points aligning with your preferred 200 mile stops of course, and the points being in service (seems to be a lot with iffy software, broken,blocked by parked cars).

I left the car at 73% last night, didn't plug it in, and today I'm off to the bike shop for a coffee then off to work for a few hours, then home. The car should be down to about 25% by the time I'm done. I'm intrigued to see how much the range anxiety gets to me :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:50 am
Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 am There is an EV YouTuber that tests the cars on a 1000km round trip, and times them for comparison, as it happens. The Kona will jump from 20%-80% in an hour so you'd be looking at an hour's break every 200+ miles. I'm willing to bet you'd do similar in an ICE car in reality.

In the last year there is one occasion where I needed to run down a full tank of petrol, fill up, and immediately run that down. That was on a long weekend in Scotland chasing like minded petrolheads. The rest of the year I would be just fine in this EV, and I have a two year lease to prove/disprove that case.
that means a Kona can do 155 miles at a time (in perfect conditions, not 200+ though.

Fair play to you Barry, as I said, I’m genuinely interested how people like you, who I respect the opinion of, get on rather than strangers with agendas.
Kona has a 250+ range Rich, 200+ for each stop was me taking the anxiety into account, and what the nerds inform me is the best operating range of EVs, stick between 20-80% and you get max recharge speeds (they throttle back after 80% for battery longevity reasons). You could do a big trip in a Kona, the only potential issue being charging points aligning with your preferred 200 mile stops of course, and the points being in service (seems to be a lot with iffy software, broken,blocked by parked cars).

I left the car at 73% last night, didn't plug it in, and today I'm off to the bike shop for a coffee then off to work for a few hours, then home. The car should be down to about 25% by the time I'm done. I'm intrigued to see how much the range anxiety gets to me :lol:
yep, and if you can only use 60% of that 258 mile range (154.8miles) from the hours recharge, then that becomes the effective range in your example.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am You seem to be taking my opinions personally, Rich. I’m not in the least bit sorry if you’re offended, which you very clearly are :lol:
then that’s my takeaway. You’re actively trying to be a dick. Fair enough, I’ll take that into account from now on.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

OK, Rich. Someone disagreeing with you is “doing it on purpose”. Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am
Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:50 am that means a Kona can do 155 miles at a time (in perfect conditions, not 200+ though.

yep, and if you can only use 60% of that 258 mile range (154.8miles) from the hours recharge, then that becomes the effective range in your example.
I didn't do the sums but yeah, that's fair. Although 150 miles is still most peoples bladder range I suspect, you just need to stop for a little longer than you would with an ICE car. Small price to pay for the reduced costs, if time isn't a concern. We're not far off charging times being down to minutes, and enough range to satsify most (bladders). Part of the reason I went for this short lease option, I'm hoping in two years time there'll be affordable cars with acceptable range/performance, and I'll be familiar with the change in attitude to running them (and have my home charging sorted..).
Marv

Post by Marv »

Think in the two and a half years my sister has had her i3, she's only gone down to about ten miles of range left once.

Older gen EV - fine as a local run around, mainly a suitable as a second car
Current new gen EV - can do a decent round trip , covers 90% of people's journeys, but charging can be an issue for some.
EV in 10 years - oh, 500 miles range and 15 minutes for an 80% charge isn't good enough for you?

People moan about EVs pointing out their obvious downsides... comparing them to ICE, which have been around for over a hundred years and have had trillions of pounds worth of R&D ploughed into them. Yes, to completely replace internal combustion engines, they still have some way to go. But isn't that the case when any new technology comes along?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:23 pm Think in the two and a half years my sister has had her i3, she's only gone down to about ten miles of range left once.

Older gen EV - fine as a local run around, mainly a suitable as a second car
Current new gen EV - can do a decent round trip , covers 90% of people's journeys, but charging can be an issue for some.
EV in 10 years - oh, 500 miles range and 15 minutes for an 80% charge isn't good enough for you?

People moan about EVs pointing out their obvious downsides... comparing them to ICE, which have been around for over a hundred years and have had trillions of pounds worth of R&D ploughed into them. Yes, to completely replace internal combustion engines, they still have some way to go. But isn't that the case when any new technology comes along?
I’d agree with all of that, except I’d question the lack of funding on batteries (which are clearly the key to the whole thing). phones, laptops, tools etc will have pushed battery tech on loads and will have had those trillions spent on R&D over the years, but it’s still lithium-ion batteries holding things back presumably?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

There’s a lot of “almost-there” battery breakthroughs at various universities and tech startups (plus whatever the big boys are up to). I guess the problem is taking that tech and scaling it up at a cost that the market can bear. Even at the current scale EV tech costs more than ICE so increasing battery cost at this point will slow down adoption.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy's radio now fully soldered (as opposed to the incomplete job I paid for last year) thanks to [mention]Simon[/mention]. Hopefully that'll be the last of the issues.

NS wing mirror I ordered on eBay still hasn't shown up, seller is chasing the courier. If I love it before Tuesday as the car is booked in for a service and MOT.

After that it'll go back to Ford so they can diagnose why the stop/start hasn't worked since the replaced the head. It was working fine before.

It used to work when the engine was fully warmed through even when it was cold, but now it never kicks in. I guess it is a battery issue, but then that is on them for taking five weeks to fix the car.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

More MX5 fettling today. Removed the undertray and refilled the PS reservoir. Refitted the water pump inlet assembly, connected everything up and refilled the system. I fired it up so we could see where the PS fluid would leak out (piss out in fact :lol: ) and get any air out of the coolant. The PS belt has been removed for now to send it for the MOT. It'll be repaired later methinks when I can order some parts. We put the wheels back on and dropped it off the axle stands ready to roll.

I then remember we hadn't done anything with the handbrake :roll: :roll: . Jacked up each side individually, took wheel off and tweaked it. Al looking OK.

Just need FiL's guys to move some vans and steelwork and I'll be able to drive it out of the workshop and around some private roads to make sure everything is OK. It'll then get it insured, taxed and booked in for an MOT later this week. Need to wash it too. Whats the opposite of flying colours?? :lol: :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

6CFE0DE9-68D8-4C96-AA63-2EA743725CEA.jpeg
6CFE0DE9-68D8-4C96-AA63-2EA743725CEA.jpeg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm 6CFE0DE9-68D8-4C96-AA63-2EA743725CEA.jpeg
Lol. I'm am fully expecting similar!
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm Galaxy's radio now fully soldered (as opposed to the incomplete job I paid for last year) thanks to @Simon. Hopefully that'll be the last of the issues.

Pretty confident we've sorted that now, what with our proven advanced testing methodology post-repair.

Good to see you again and thanks for the chocolate social (all gone now, natch). Current debate is now around which we prefer. That or the cinnamon!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 pm Galaxy's radio now fully soldered (as opposed to the incomplete job I paid for last year) thanks to @Simon. Hopefully that'll be the last of the issues.

Pretty confident we've sorted that now, what with our proven advanced testing methodology post-repair.

Good to see you again and thanks for the chocolate social (all gone now, natch). Current debate is now around which we prefer. That or the cinnamon!
Thanks for lending your expertise. As for the pastries, don't decide too soon, there are many more to choose from! It was good seeing you too.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Spent the last two weeks in a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2 'Texas Edition'. 5ish seconds to 60, switchable 2wd, 4wd hi/lo box and more buttons than I've seen in anything for a long time, decent Bose hifi as well.

Didn't get chance to chuck it around because straight roads, but wow did it shift for its size, and would leave big 11s on demand.

If it would fit in our roads I'd have one tommorow, 14mpg would sting a bit mind.