Your fleet running reports

Jimexpl

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jimexpl »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:18 pm
V8Granite wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:47 am I finally by the bullet and am having work done on the Defender.

1 bulkhead outrigger had something bolted to it at some point in its life and was a hole had appeared.
The other outrigger had a thin layer of rust but it has been wire wheeled in the past and o had the 2 central out-riggers.

So I’m having all 4 chopped off. While it’s on the lift some Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport shock absorbers are being fitted, galvanised front suspension turrets and hardwear plus rear spring isolators, basically a ring of rubber for NVH help.

If I see change from 2K I’ll be very pleased :cry:

Dave!
Night and day difference to the car, nice and smooth still, damping is lovely and the difference to body roll is huge, I definitely don’t need to fit the anti-roll bar back on.
Dave!
I remember thinking that when I swapped the shocks on my coil sprung S11a. Long travel suspension really highlights the difference a decent damper can make.
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 pm This may all change if I can afford a Griffith 500 though.
[mention]drcarlos[/mention] Not
The cheapest available, and it is DCR, but the 4.3 BV is the one every Griff owners ears want.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C12 ... nQ.twitter
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:45 am
drcarlos wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 pm This may all change if I can afford a Griffith 500 though.
@drcarlos Not
The cheapest available, and it is DCR, but the 4.3 BV is the one every Griff owners ears want.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C12 ... nQ.twitter
We just had a serious conversation about that. I just don’t think it’s the right time. We’re getting our driveway sorted which is several thousand and we’ve got a big extension house project we want to finance in about 18 months. So I’m just going to have to wait a bit longer. Been waiting 20 years, what’s another 5?
I now have the sti intercooler and ram scoop parts to match (it’s about double the size of the wrx one) and the prodrive downpipe with sport cat (needs a small amount of welding) here so I’ll get the intercooler bits fitted this weekend and weld up the cracked flange on the exhaust. I’ll do the downpipe and fit an oil cooler (yet to be ordered) in a couple of weeks. Will need to speak to the tuna about mapping it again then, that will do for now.
mik

Post by mik »

8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Never been a big fan of older TVR's (even coming from a Lotus owner) the build quality in pictures always looks shoddy. For 5k with a big engine and lots of drama? Sure, I can see the appeal, but not at £20k+.

Plus, I'm not sure I'd want to drop £22k on something like that anyway considering what's going to happen in the next 6 months...but don't listen to me, I've got a frighteningly bad track record of forecasting car values. :lol:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Matty wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 pm Never been a big fan of older TVR's (even coming from a Lotus owner) the build quality in pictures always looks shoddy. For 5k with a big engine and lots of drama? Sure, I can see the appeal, but not at £20k+.

Plus, I'm not sure I'd want to drop £22k on something like that anyway considering what's going to happen in the next 6 months...but don't listen to me, I've got a frighteningly bad track record of forecasting car values. :lol:
Part of the reason was the next 6 months, knowing my luck the way the prices have been heading I’ll be priced out of ever owning one in that time!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Intercooler fitted, had to mod a bracket (vice and hammer to adjust) and fabricate a small extension to another. The scoop intake though is proving more difficult, despite ordering one that claimed to fit 00-07 (mines a 56) it was too tall. A lot of places claim the sti and wrx scoop is identical so I might have a larger jdm part or one from a blob eye. Not to be deterred I’ve modded it as it’s only thin aluminium and can be bent easily with the spot welds replaced by epoxy to bond it back together. It’s currently curing the first half in the garage and later I’ll bond the other half. As it’s hidden away under the scoop itself no one will ever see and it fits both the scoop and the intercooler perfectly I’m not bothered.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Car’s back after having its dampers rebuilt, serviced, MOT’d, new tyres etc amongst other things.....

It’s even got a brand new splitter fitted, let’s see if this one would last for more than three days :oops: :roll: Can’t wait to put more miles on it.

I had a chat with the owner of that Lapis Blue 997 turbo; what a lovely car. I love 997 turbo; probably influenced by Clarkson’s Top Gear review all those years ago.

Some tasty motors in the showroom:

Mk1 GT3 Clubsport with Manthey upgrade

What a pair! EuroMillions one-two right there. Perfect.

Polar Silver looks sooooo good. I think this might be my favourite colour on CGT.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Not a great fan of the windscreen washer jets in the XF. They are integrated into the wipers and mostly squirt towards the passenger side, somewhat ineffectually.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:53 am Not a great fan of the windscreen washer jets in the XF. They are integrated into the wipers and mostly squirt towards the passenger side, somewhat ineffectually.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/514633532

These should help.
mik

Post by mik »

Yes. The std Evora jet is a central unit which fires a stream to each side. It’s not great. A “fan” unit from a focus is better but even lacking it to adjust the angle doesn’t avoid some of the spray hitting the bonnet “hatch” and ruining the flow. Back to the original jet plus a y-pipe to add one of these to the wiper - huge improvement.

I was thinking of tvhese when [mention]V8Granite[/mention] was talking about his defender wipers
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Coaster1 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:37 pm Image
Mmmmm, CGT. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I should not be allowed to do any work on cars, for some reason despite being fairly well educated I'm just too plain stupid when it comes to spannering.

Changed the oil in the Elise yesterday. Had myself a nice pan to drain into and everything, but didn't manage to figure out the basic principle that as the pressure at the sump plug decreases so the flow of the oil changes. Took out the plug, lined the tray up nicely with the flow and then went to wash my hands. Come back, most of the oil is on the garage floor. :oops: :evil: :roll:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:43 pm I should not be allowed to do any work on cars, for some reason despite being fairly well educated I'm just too plain stupid when it comes to spannering.

Changed the oil in the Elise yesterday. Had myself a nice pan to drain into and everything, but didn't manage to figure out the basic principle that as the pressure at the sump plug decreases so the flow of the oil changes. Took out the plug, lined the tray up nicely with the flow and then went to wash my hands. Come back, most of the oil is on the garage floor. :oops: :evil: :roll:
Lol. Think most of us will have done that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I did a perfect oil change on the tractor a few months ago - 12 litres and not a drop spilt which is easier said than done considering all the moving implements hanging underneath the sump. Then stepping back to admire my work I kicked the fucking bucket of oil and spilt all 12 litres over the drive 🤦‍♂️
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Matty wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 pm Never been a big fan of older TVR's (even coming from a Lotus owner) the build quality in pictures always looks shoddy. For 5k with a big engine and lots of drama? Sure, I can see the appeal, but not at £20k+.

£5k Griffith ? I'm in lol

£20k is not a lot for an interesting Sunday Funday car and although the stories from people who've owned them are terrifying I can't see that Griff ever depreciating.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:11 pm

£5k Griffith ? I'm in lol

£20k is not a lot for an interesting Sunday Funday car and although the stories from people who've owned them are terrifying I can't see that Griff ever depreciating.
not depreciating, falling to bits.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Or the glue drying and bits falling off.

But!!!

It’s the best sounding accessible car on the planet.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I seem to be back to my old tricks of destroying alloys on pot holes. The wheels on my Merc were perfectly balanced and stayed that way until a couple of weeks ago when I was forced into a verge hole by a twat driving the opposite way down my lane. That created a vibration at 75mph, but this weekend I’ve managed to find two more potholes and the driver’s front now leaks air, so is probably cracked. FFS. Might stick the winter wheels on now because they’re all intact... just in time for a heatwave 😂