Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

You're all wrong and the answer is a VW Up GTi. There's a reason I've owned mine for 5 years when I barely keep any longer than 2, and people like Autopap on Twitter who changes cars like they're going out of fashion and who claims it's "more fun my 992"
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 pm Took mrs mik’s E-Tron for a “larger car task” at the weekend. 25 miles from home on an A-Road the car suddenly sang out some loud warning chimes whilst flashing up “Electrical System Fault – Safely stop vehicle!” followed immediately by a 4WD system fault message, and then a warning related to the drive system, with “Limited Performance Available”.

<snip - Blah blah blah de blah>

Audi have now taken a look and declared that the front motor has lost it’s coolant and is now junk.

<snip - blah waffle blah>

Replacement under extended warranty now confirmed.

<snip -blah blah blah>
Picked up the E-Tron this morning - took them just over a fortnight to do the motor replacement (I think a couple more parts were needed), so in addition to being delighted that the extended warranty covered the cost of the motor & fitting, I am also delighted that it covered the cost of the rental "courtesy" car for this period.

All feels great - I am reminded how smoothly the E-Tron rides (on air) for a 4x4, and how quiet it is. It's now silent again under power, which makes me realise that a very quiet whine that was coming from the front motor before it shat itself (so quiet that it was like "has it always made that slight noise? Can you even hear that?") was probably an early indicator of the impending coolant seal failure that I failed to pick up on. Not that it would have changed anything - Audi would only do a full motor swap anyway - but hopefully in the future some aftermarket bods will be able to change the coolant seals before they fail, and thus prevent the full motor being killed. :?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've mentioned a few times on here about my Audi coasting with the engine off for up to 40 seconds at a time. It seems to be very good for economy. Anyway, I've spotted it a few times recently on non-motorways and that made me appreciate how refined it is - I genuinely didn't notice when rolling whether the engine was off or on. That goes for the restarting too. I'm a big fan of the 48v architecture which achieves this (though I have seen some people say their 48v systems have shat their biscuits expensively if the 48v battery is allowed to discharge fully).

I suspect the difference between an ICE and EV version of a Mini or Fiat 500 is way more noticeable but I was quite pleased that in a generally fairly refined car, cruising NVH is pretty much indistinguishable.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Has been great having the touring these last few weeks when getting the house ready to sell. That's a tumble dryer and half a dozen black bags for the tip, not bad for one trip.

Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

What's the best Ferrari forum to get a view for actual real world feedback and buying guides?

@Sundayjumper @IanF

#stealthpost
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The only one I've used is www.ferrarichat.com but I don't actively hang out there, it's mostly American and (in the 360/430 forum at least) they obsess far too much with "gated manual" and whether <xyz> will affect resale value.

There's some useful historical threads for tech stuff though. Google will get you to those.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm in a discord that's driving game oriented, and nothing annoys them more than when they talk about how extreme manual shifting is and how it takes raw driving talent and you point out that yer grans Micra was a manual.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 pm What's the best Ferrari forum to get a view for actual real world feedback and buying guides?

@Sundayjumper @IanF

#stealthpost
Worst now I am not spunking all my money on building a house I can now afford a Ferrari post ever :lol:

Of course it needs to be a 355 (Berlinetta or Spider doesn't matter), 348 or 458.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:49 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 pm What's the best Ferrari forum to get a view for actual real world feedback and buying guides?

@Sundayjumper @IanF

#stealthpost
Worst now I am not spunking all my money on building a house I can now afford a Ferrari post ever :lol:

Of course it needs to be a 355 (Berlinetta or Spider doesn't matter), 348 or 458.
:lol:

That obvious eh? I'm "just looking" at the moment... My wife is already heavily suspicious.

The thought process is something along the lines of... the 80s stuff is too expensive now (Testarossa, 328). The new stuff is hyper expensive.

355 was always the one for me, but not sure how those values are. So can the man maths then say that actually a 360 or 458 is a better bet because you pay more up front but they're going to be more reliable.

And as an outside bet, because I love my estate cars, there's always the V12 FF.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting. You think a 355/360 would be a better option than your 996 C4S? (Not trying to be a smartarse - I recall that you liked that car but the timing was wrong for your needs?)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm

@Sundayjumper @IanF

#stealthpost

That obvious eh? I'm "just looking" at the moment... My wife is already heavily suspicious.

The thought process is something along the lines of... the 80s stuff is too expensive now (Testarossa, 328). The new stuff is hyper expensive.

355 was always the one for me, but not sure how those values are. So can the man maths then say that actually a 360 or 458 is a better bet because you pay more up front but they're going to be more reliable.

And as an outside bet, because I love my estate cars, there's always the V12 FF.
What else will you do with it? (Money I mean) Might as well have fun.

I find the 360 and 430 lights make them look awkward but felt they found a good post popup formula with the 458, just my personal choice though. Would be a 355 Spider for me.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

If you're buying a 355 it had better be blue with a tan interior!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The 1 355 I’ve been in felt like a kit car compared to the 1 360 I’ve driven.

Proof if needed that the 360’is a better bet if you want to drive it.

Or if you are a man with taste and an ability to attract the finest of ladies, get a 512 TR in black with caramel interior.

Dave!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

V8Granite wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:15 pm The 1 355 I’ve been in felt like a kit car compared to the 1 360 I’ve driven.

Proof if needed that the 360’is a better bet if you want to drive it.

Or if you are a man with taste and an ability to attract the finest of ladies, get a 512 TR in black with caramel interior.

Dave!
I don't doubt that, at the local club we have a Spider and Berlinetta, having poked around in the Spider it doesn't seem far removed from my Chimaera in construction type although quality wise it's obviosuly better, but fuck it is is the last really, really good looking Ferrari and it has pop up lights.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm 355 was always the one for me, but not sure how those values are. So can the man maths then say that actually a 360 or 458 is a better bet because you pay more up front…
I think you’ll find a 355 is more than a 360 !

The 360 is cheap, and usable. That’s my boxes ticked.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:50 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm 355 was always the one for me, but not sure how those values are. So can the man maths then say that actually a 360 or 458 is a better bet because you pay more up front…
I think you’ll find a 355 is more than a 360 !

The 360 is cheap, and usable. That’s my boxes ticked.
Nobody ever accused you of being high maintenance :D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

@Sundayjumper @IanF

#stealthpost

As a word of warning... if you're considering an FF I'd keep it under warranty...

My dad's has just come back from the dealer with a bill for £12,520.43 for a replacement front gearbox/PTU for the 4WD system - thankfully covered under warranty. They apparently are a "when" not "if" replacement, which is annoying as I was planning to buy or inherit it from him one day and I don't want to have to do it again in another 15,000 miles when it isn't under powerplus warranty :roll:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

GG. wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:13 pm

As a word of warning... if you're considering an FF I'd keep it under warranty...

My dad's has just come back from the dealer with a bill for £12,520.43 for a replacement front gearbox/PTU for the 4WD system - thankfully covered under warranty. They apparently are a "when" not "if" replacement, which is annoying as I was planning to buy or inherit it from him one day and I don't want to have to do it again in another 15,000 miles when it isn't under powerplus warranty :roll:
The PTU thing was the one big part I did know will go wrong on those, but I'd not looked into how often, if they'd fixed the issue, if there was a third party replacement part etc. Not looked at warranty situation either in terms of how much it takes and can you keep them in warranty past certain number of years old etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

GG. wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:13 pm
That topic was covered by JayEmm on the tube of yous some time back.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:13 pm …I don't want to have to do it again in another 15,000 miles when it isn't under powerplus warranty :roll:
I’m sure it’s not what you meant, but that kinda makes it sound like the gearboxes only last 15k miles :lol:

Unless that is what you meant :shock: