Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

IanF wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am Had to come up to Manchester for a flight and timings were out for company offered travel options, so I said I’ll drive.

I left at 1830 and around 200 miles later, just before 2200, I arrived. Obviously wasn’t going too quickly even though traffic was very light all the way (in fact I cruise controlled it at 70 indicated) and I had a small pit stop to “recharge” aka put fuel in and have a pee.. Averaged 34.2mpg in the M4 which is the most I’ve seen from any of my cars in years! 🏆

Interestingly (to me), my mate has calculated he gets over 15% better mpg from s u/l compared to normal e10, so despite a 7-8% price difference, he is getting better mp£ on e5. After a quick google, there’s lots of comments on twitter making similar statements, but does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding this?

Also, 171.9 for S U/L at Oxford services.. f me! 🤯

I will need more fuel tomorrow, but there seems to be a shortage of s u/l around MAN.. 🙄
i thought you had a Tesla now? Surely that's the best option for a journey like this?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am

I will need more fuel tomorrow, but there seems to be a shortage of s u/l around MAN.. 🙄
If it helps, my go to stops are either Sainsbury's at Cheadle or Tesco at Handforth, both on the A34. Both ususally very reasonably priced for SUL, and usually reasonably well stocked as well. Tesco is the better of the 2. Not sure where you are in Manc, but both can be on-the-way-ish to the M6, assuming you're heading back on that.
John

Post by John »

Fiat Ducato Motorhome passed the mot today with no advisories, which was nice. I’ve had to change garages this year as the old fella who used to do it has retired and the new owner isn’t interested in working on anything as big as Motorhomes. It’s not easy to find a garage large enough to mot them but a local one has just been extended and had a large ramp installed so that was a bit of a result.

We’ve owned the Motorhome for seven years now which is easily the longest I’ve owned anything with four wheels. Quite cheap to run too, service every two years and around £300 to insure. As it’s over 3500kg it’s classed as a private HGV so only £160 to tax. Pretty much zero depreciation too.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IanF wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am Had to come up to Manchester for a flight and timings were out for company offered travel options, so I said I’ll drive.

I left at 1830 and around 200 miles later, just before 2200, I arrived. Obviously wasn’t going too quickly even though traffic was very light all the way (in fact I cruise controlled it at 70 indicated) and I had a small pit stop to “recharge” aka put fuel in and have a pee.. Averaged 34.2mpg in the M4 which is the most I’ve seen from any of my cars in years! 🏆

Interestingly (to me), my mate has calculated he gets over 15% better mpg from s u/l compared to normal e10, so despite a 7-8% price difference, he is getting better mp£ on e5. After a quick google, there’s lots of comments on twitter making similar statements, but does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding this?

Also, 171.9 for S U/L at Oxford services.. f me! 🤯

When I had the M140i I never noticed any difference. I ran it for approx 18mths on SUL then switched to regular for the next 18mths with no noticeable impact on mpg (84k miles total)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Interesting, does that include e10 fuel?
Cheers,

Ian
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IanF wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:33 pm Interesting, does that include e10 fuel?
It does, yes. I never reset the trip in that 84k (lot of motorways) and the car stayed at 30.4mpg (+/-0.2mpg) every time I ever saw it and I'll have done a lot of miles on E10.
tim

Post by tim »

tim wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:15 pm Got the 45 back from the garage. They've changed the fuel filter, and have surmised it had probably picked up some crap from the tank that was restricting the flow. Ignition system is all checked out ok, so was most likel fuel starvation.

They recommend I run it on Super because E5/E10 bollocks, but fuck that, it's not going to run any different far as I can see.
So chalk one up for DIY spannering. Went out to it lunchtime and it was running like crap again, despite being absolutely fine the previous journey. With it running I methodically went through the whole engine bay manipulating whatever hoses/connectors I could, until... bingo! The wiring loom where it branches off to the injectors was rubbing on a metal coolant pipe.

Move it away - running fine - let it go - running rough and occaisonally sparking. I guess it had just worn through the insulation enough to short.

So taped it up, tie-wrapped it back out of the way of the pipe and all is good* again.

The XJ8 goes in to be fixed on Monday so hopefully the following week I shall be back on wafting duties.

*Well, you know.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:48 pm Fiat Ducato Motorhome passed the mot today with no advisories, which was nice. I’ve had to change garages this year as the old fella who used to do it has retired and the new owner isn’t interested in working on anything as big as Motorhomes. It’s not easy to find a garage large enough to mot them but a local one has just been extended and had a large ramp installed so that was a bit of a result.

We’ve owned the Motorhome for seven years now which is easily the longest I’ve owned anything with four wheels. Quite cheap to run too, service every two years and around £300 to insure. As it’s over 3500kg it’s classed as a private HGV so only £160 to tax. Pretty much zero depreciation too.
Sounds ace. Always fancied the idea of having one but defo a summer thing in this country.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

tim wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:50 pm

The XJ8 goes in to be fixed on Monday so hopefully the following week I shall be back on wafting duties.
Wassup with that beast?
tim

Post by tim »

Failed it's MOT back in October due to some pretty serious corrosion. Front subframe needs dropping, quite a big job. Plus is needs an O2 sensor. Hence the epic Rover 45 temporary transport.

Anyway in XJ8 news I fixed the remote fob that wasn't working. It turns out there's a small flap inside the ignition barrel that should close when you remove the key. If it doesn't it thinks the key is still in and the fobs don't work. A squrt of lube later and the flaps are all good...
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:15 pm A squrt of lube later and the flaps are all good...
Yeah, but what about the ignition barrel?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 pm I've just changed the dip and main beam bulbs on the E90 320d. It's a shit job, especially the O/S mainbeam. I had to dismantle the airbox to be able to get my hand in. When removing the bulb the retaining spring clip came out and dropped down into the assembly. It was a sod of a job getting it back out and then reinstalling the bloody thing as there's sod all room. The others weren't too bad as I'd taken the from wheels off. Wheels now back on and correctly torqued up.

I still need to do an oil/filter change but had forgotten about the tool to remove the oil filter housing so that can wait a few days until I've bought one. The air filter is only fairly new and is really clean but the cabin filter was grotty so I hoovered it and put it back in until I get another one.
Went to ECP today to collect rear disks, pads, wear sensor, fitting kit and cabin filter for a very reasonable £122. Crimbo sales were decent. Hopefully fit this weekend.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Nissan want a pretty daft £335 a month (bearing in mind it was £260 on a 1+23 for 10k p.a.) to continue the Leaf lease so that is going back 23rd Feb. Presumably they want the car back so they can flog it for silly money in the current market. No decent BEV leases at the moment so I'm on the lookout for a max 2K dog wagon for a year or so, if anyone spots anything suitable.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Volvo-S ... 635-2958-0

Seems like a decent sub 2k runabout, mileage looks genuine too!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I think he wants an estate ("dog wagon"). Send to be a reasonable choice of Mondeo estates on eBay everything that budget.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Cheers, looks tidy enough. Probably should qualify it that I need >45mpg, family hatch size minimum as the kids insist on growing. Been looking at Auris SR180 Gwarrrrred-spec to return to my Toyota roots. Had a (modern) Nissan Pulsar as a company pool car and that would fit the bill, but they are fetching too much money.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just to add, 'dog wagon' perhaps misleading, don't need anything massive with the X-Trail for main family duties. Something that I don't care too much about a puppy being sick in, yet can still sell for decent money once BEV's are a viable deal again.
Last edited by mr_jon on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:58 pm Just to add, 'dog wagon' perhaps misleading, don't need anything massive with the X-Trail for main family duties. Something that I don't care too much about a puppy being sick in, yet can still sell for decent money once BEV's are a decent deal again.
https://leasing.com/independent-brokers ... 004641307/
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mazda mx30 doesn’t seem too bad either
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

17kWh too small, we struggled a little with our first 22kWh Zoe. Really keen to keep moving forward so really want a next-gen EV, at the right price. Some good lease deals on the Skoda Kamiq, just that the costs don't quite stack up on an ICE lease. The Leaf has been like leasing a modern big family hatch with all the toys for a net ~£100 a month.