NotoriousREV

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by NotoriousREV »

Fools.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'd probably just get them painted in a nice bright wheel silver. Diamond cut is a stupid finish unless they're warm summer day only wheels. Plus aftermarket diamond cut wheels never last anywhere near as long, most places won't give any guarantee at all, some might give a year if you're lucky.

The csl / 1m wheels do look good on them though.

Bbs lms if you've just won the lottery :lol:
Cheers, Harry
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am Well done for finally finding a car that the TE37 doesn't work well on though. :geek:
911s are just as bad for some reason. Most odd - on Jap cars, 37s are my favourite rims evar.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am 911s are just as bad for some reason. Most odd - on Jap cars, 37s are my favourite rims evar.
That's it isn't it - they're Jap rims and are just wrong on German cars.

LMs, however, look good on everything 8-)

Going back to Rich's original options though, I'd agree with Harry and get a simple reliable silver powdercoat all over.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am
mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am Well done for finally finding a car that the TE37 doesn't work well on though. :geek:
911s are just as bad for some reason. Most odd - on Jap cars, 37s are my favourite rims evar.
They work on the wide body 996s, imo, but generally I'd rather have the BBS LMs on the M3 or 911.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am I'd probably just get them painted in a nice bright wheel silver.
Yeah, that’s worth exploring as an option.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s a bunch of pics of them repainted in silver online, and other colours too. They look a bit cheap though, like a set of winter wheels. If the original wheels have lasted 10+ years with that finish I’d just get them cut again.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am
They work on the wide body 996s, imo, but generally I'd rather have the BBS LMs on the M3 or 911.

Didn't Bryn have TE37s on a 993? Which looked great.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am I'd probably just get them painted in a nice bright wheel silver.
Yeah, that’s worth exploring as an option.
Have you considered.......

Image ?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

BOOM! There’s the solution!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

How about a nice bright orange powdercoat?

Yeti: Flying colours etc.

I am very cautious parking in gear after my wife nearly ran me over once.
Left over crest; tightens.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am
mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am

But why?
tbh I’ve never really given it any thought - I don’t live on a hill or leave my car for weeks at a time, so what are the benefits/penalties for each?

Benefits of parking car in gear

- For RWD or 4x4 it provides a backup for the handbrake. Or don't bother with the handbrake (in your garage etc).
- For FWD it provides a backup for the handbrake and much more security overall as both front and rear wheels are "braked".
- You start the car with the clutch in so spin the engine only.

Negatives of parking car in gear
- NCG can start your car without engaging brains and put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

Benefits of parking a car in neutral
- None. Other than NCG are less likely to start your car and then put it into a fence/wall/duckpond/just over the wall at Chernobyl.

Negatives of parking car in neutral.
- Reliance on handbrake. Can cause probs if handbrake is on tighty-tight for love you longtime.
- You will start the car in neutral - almost certainly with the clutch "up", so the starter has to spin both the engine, and (pointlessly) also all the gears (in cold gear oil). Extra load on starter motor and battery for no gains.

Another benefit- getting the practice in for when you get a car with an electric handbrake that I do not trust one little bit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

+ parking with hot breaks, they cool when they contract and can lose their grip.

I've always left cars in gear. Never accidentally started one in gear. First thing I was ever taught when learning to drive was to check it's not in gear before even thinking about turning the key.

Plus years of driving BMWs of a certain age where all there is between the handbrake working and the car rolling away is a tiny pin on a pressed tin backplate in a place that's constantly exposed to the elements.

I don't get the less drag on the starter thing. I can spin every gearbox of every car I've owned easily by hand on the inch diameter input shaft with my puny arms. Compared to fighting the friction and compression of the engine the effort to spin the gearbox is minute!
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 am There’s a bunch of pics of them repainted in silver online, and other colours too. They look a bit cheap though, like a set of winter wheels. If the original wheels have lasted 10+ years with that finish I’d just get them cut again.
An aftermarket cut won't last anywhere near ten years. Those wheels have been corroding and starting to look poop for years, it's doesn't just spring up all over the wheel overnight.

The fact that it appears from inside the alloy with no lacquer damage means there are impurities in the metal itself. All wheels will have them somewhere but when there's nothing between the metal and your eyes except clear lacquer you see it as soon as it starts to appear, not 20 years later when the paint starts to bubble.

E60 m5 had very similar style wheels with a standard silver paint finish and they look fine 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm How about a nice bright orange powdercoat?

"By accident". ;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:18 pm
JonMad wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm How about a nice bright orange powdercoat?

"By accident". ;)
:lol: I hope so.
Me putting kid in car in back, standing behind open car door, ahead of rear wheel. Wife gets in and starts car, which then lurches forward, whilst I have hold of something partially attached to the car.
Left over crest; tightens.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Whereas the Mrs prefers to leave cars in gear with the handbrake off. Go figure.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 am There’s a bunch of pics of them repainted in silver online, and other colours too. They look a bit cheap though, like a set of winter wheels. If the original wheels have lasted 10+ years with that finish I’d just get them cut again.
An aftermarket cut won't last anywhere near ten years. Those wheels have been corroding and starting to look poop for years, it's doesn't just spring up all over the wheel overnight.

The fact that it appears from inside the alloy with no lacquer damage means there are impurities in the metal itself. All wheels will have them somewhere but when there's nothing between the metal and your eyes except clear lacquer you see it as soon as it starts to appear, not 20 years later when the paint starts to bubble.

E60 m5 had very similar style wheels with a standard silver paint finish and they look fine 🤷🏻‍♂️
Think you’ve hit the nail on the head with your last sentence, my dad has a set of those wheels which he used for winter tyres which must be why I said they look like cheap winter wheels.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:29 pm Whereas the Mrs prefers to leave cars in gear with the handbrake off. Go figure.
I always do this at home as I leave my cars parked up for weeks at a time so usually the handbrake ends up sticking on - much more mechanical sympathy just leaving it off rather than lurching the car forwards to free it.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I always leave cars with just the handbrake on and never had a problem. The Landy is different as that has a transmission brake but since I stopped buying cheap
Parts I’ve never even had that grinding brake pedal feel after leaving things parked for months.

My family live in Old Coulsdon and one actually lived on Caterham Hill and I just used the handbrake and turn the wheel to the kerb. My Grandad has an Austin Princess roll and hit the garage door once but that was such a steep driveway it couldn’t be used in winter at all. About 1 in 8 slope.

Dave!