The Movie Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Ascender »

The new Scream movie was the dictionary definition of "meh." Forgettable characters, terrible storyline, rehashing of the other movies without any sense of irony around how those originals managed to pull that off and of course there's the opportunity to look at Courtney Cox and wonder WTF has she done to her face.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 pm Watched The Unforgivable last night. Harrowing but brilliant.

8.5 dead cops out of 10.
Fuck me - I cried. :|

Really moving with a big plot twist. Mz Bullock was incredible. 9.8 shit I wasn’t ready for that out of 10 for me.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:29 am
Simon wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 pm Watched The Unforgivable last night. Harrowing but brilliant.

8.5 dead cops out of 10.

Really moving with a big plot twist. Mz Bullock was incredible. 9.8 shit I wasn’t ready for that out of 10 for me.
This one had passed me by, will get it watched over the weekend, sounds great.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Joker

We’ll now, that was an interesting experience :shock:

After 30 minutes, I came close to turning it off. (Would have been only the second time I haven’t finished a film - the other?? Napoleon Dynamite. Christ what utter shite was that) It bore all the hallmarks of self indulgent twaddle…

But by God am I glad I stuck with it - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Now I yearn for a series of Batman / DC movies that dark, that visceral. Please someone make them.

9.5 manic laughs out of 10
Last edited by dinny_g on Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We’ll what do you know… :lol:

Tenet - turned it off. That’s two. What the fuck is that utter shite.

THAT is utter self indulgent twaddle.

Literally 0 no fucking clue what’s going on’s out if 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:28 pm We’ll what do you know… :lol:

Tenet - turned it off. That’s two. What the fuck is that utter shite.

THAT is utter self indulgent twaddle.

Literally 0 no fucking clue what’s going on’s out if 10
LOUD DRONING SOUNDTRACK.... what did they say? LOUD DRONING SOUNDTRACK...well I don't know what's going on...LOUD DRONING SOUNDTRACK. off.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Pretty much Rich…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I stuck with it because I like the cast but I don't think I need to see anymore Nolan movies.

I've had enough blue grey filters on blue grey suits in plots that aren't as clever as they think they are.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The pitch meeting YouTube vid on tenet is perfect.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Spider-Man No Way Home

That was pretty good.

Probably the best of the Marvel Spider-Man flicks, and up with the good Raimi ones.

A solid six sinisters of of ten
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm Spider-Man No Way Home

That was pretty good.

Probably the best of the Marvel Spider-Man flicks, and up with the good Raimi ones.

A solid six sinisters of of ten
Funnily enough I rewatched it at home on Friday after really enjoying it in the cinema. Still great on the small screen and one of the best MCU movies.
I really must go and watch the Garfield Spidermans'.

Hard to fault for me. Although I'm damned if I could work out why TH Spidey wasn't using his insta-kill Stark spec Spidey suit most of the time.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Matrix Resurrections

It's nonsense but as a fan of the series I enjoyed. My partner wasn't fussed about it so it's probably not essential viewing.

Master

Amazon movie about spooky and racist goings on at a US ivy league college. Kind of the same vibe as Get Out and it maintains a really good tense atmosphere for most of the movie. Kind of fizzles out at the end though.
An absolute unit
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Nobody - Really enjoyed it. Got a bit Home Alone towards the end but I thought it was really well done. The bus fight scene was brutal.

The Adam Project - It was a Ryan Reynolds film. I quite enjoyed it, but it wasn't the greatest film ever made.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Adam Project on Netflix

Agreed Delphi - Typical Ryan Reynolds fayre but definitely on the "Kids Movie" end of the spectrum. A bit Meh all in all. Yes some funny bits but there are better "Ryan Reynolds being Deadpool" films and this is most definitely "PG" Ryan Reynolds being Deadpool. He really needs to mix it up a bit as there's only so many times you can flog that horse

Zoe Saldana and Mark Ruffalo are wasted and phoning it in and the effects aren't great.

4 out of 10 - one for the kids because you won't let them watch Deadpool

Edit - I don't think I mentioned Deadpool enough - Deadpool, Deadpool, Deadpool. That should do it.. :D
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The Hunt for Red October

It's on Netflix and, well, why not - it's a cracking film

I forgot that (almost literally) everyone is in it

Nuts to think that Alec Baldwin was only 32 in this.

Also funny to see Peter Firth (Harry, from Spooks) is the political officer on the Red October

The VFX look both awful and quite good in different places, Sean Connery is Sean Connery, but it's a film I love, haven't seen in years, and was great to revisit.

Also, on the more general film theme - I've started trawling local charity shops for Blu-Rays - most have a handful (loads of DVDs though) and frankly, they're too cheap to not buy.

One local shop does 5x DVDs/Blu-Rays for a quid - buy 'em, watch em, give 'em back again

Way cheaper than renting/on-demand, way better quality than streaming etc - what's not to like?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:00 am
mik wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:29 am

8.5 dead cops out of 10.

This one had passed me by, will get it watched over the weekend, sounds great.
I watched this yesterday after glowing reviews here.

I enjoyed it, other half got bored.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jackass forever - made me lol in places as its so bloody stupid.

Opening scene below is epic

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The Tinder Swindler

Hard to believe people are so stupid. But worth a watch.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nobody

Not sure I understand the hype to be honest. Very formulaic, Similar to John Wick but not as well executed.

5 empty chambers our of 10
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Blacklight

Watched it on Sky Cinema as the adverts made it look decent. Waste of time. Pacing was all over the place and the film couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to be a thriller, conspiracy theory film or an action flick. 2 Liam Neeson's dining out on his Taken success out of 10.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.