The Movie Thread

Beany

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Beany »

They're remaking The Crow.

My initial reaction is of course, huge skeptiscism, but that nice young lad Bill Skarsgard doesn't tend to suffer shitty screenplays, and it has been 30 years since the first film and things have moved on wildly since the original.

And it's not like the original won't still exist, and it's also not like they haven't pissed all over the original with it's shitty, shitty sequels that already exist.

So it could be interesting, I suppose.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I remember it made a big impression on me, but I can't remember a single thing about it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Here's a memory jog. It was an interesting mix of really quite dark but also a bit goofy.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Another example of why IT nerds think leather trenchcoats look cool (failing to notice that it's the ripped actor wearing it that actually looks cool).
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 pm Another example of why IT nerds think leather trenchcoats look cool (failing to notice that it's the ripped actor wearing it that actually looks cool).
I won't pretend that's wrong. :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I was a fan of martial arts movies, Brandon Lee and was upset when he died, but it was never anything more than an accident.. same as Navalny
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 pm Another example of why IT nerds think leather trenchcoats look cool (failing to notice that it's the ripped actor wearing it that actually looks cool).
In 20 odd years of making shitloads in IT I have met one trench coat wearer.

He arrived on his first day dressed very smartly in a suit and was advised that this wasn’t necessary and we had a casual, relaxed dress code in the office. Marilyn Manson on speed turned up the next morning. Makeup, black nail varnish, the works.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

IanF wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm I was a fan of martial arts movies, Brandon Lee and was upset when he died, but it was never anything more than an accident.. same as Navalny
I know nothing about him except The Crow, why would he be killed?
Beany

Post by Beany »

240PP wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:03 pm
In 20 odd years of making shitloads in IT I have met one trench coat wearer.

He arrived on his first day dressed very smartly in a suit and was advised that this wasn’t necessary and we had a casual, relaxed dress code in the office. Marilyn Manson on speed turned up the next morning. Makeup, black nail varnish, the works.
Outstanding 8-)

How long did they keep that up? :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:29 pm
IanF wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm I was a fan of martial arts movies, Brandon Lee and was upset when he died, but it was never anything more than an accident.. same as Navalny
I know nothing about him except The Crow, why would he be killed?
Load of bS about his Dad teaching him “forbidden” martial art moves.. probably made the movie more successful tbh, so maybe we should be checking the directors for residue!? 🤣
Cheers,

Ian
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That clip of the original Crow just reminded me how amazing the soundtrack is. Shall have to dig it out later, although Burn has never left my in-car playlist.

Trailer for the new one... I think we may have just seen all the highlights.
Beany

Post by Beany »

A nice little bit of

*checks notes*

MY LIFE WITH THE THRILL KILL KULT

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Doontoo, much much epicness, kinda wish I gone to an IMAX screening.
Spoiler
Unsatisfied with the ending though, had distinct feelings of "to be continuederer" which I didn't think was really kosher given we'd already had that once already. Could've been a little shorter too
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

After watching Dune again on Friday I was reminded about how awful the sound is. You can barely hear them or (because I’m poor and semi detached) wake the neighbours.

I am looking forward to watching Dune 2 at the cinema but really get frustrated with movies you have to strain to listen to.

I get my hearing checked yearly, yes I’m not old and deaf 😂

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I watched Dune last night and at points the soundbar was deafening but you could still barely hear the dialogue.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Barbie

Yes it's very funny in places but overall, despite the serious underlying message it was aiming to convey, it's light bubblegum film making at best and really didn't deserve any major award nominations. Not sure that all the fuss was over to be honest.

6 different versions of the word house in the description of a house out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:15 pm They're remaking The Crow.

My initial reaction is of course, huge skeptiscism, but that nice young lad Bill Skarsgard doesn't tend to suffer shitty screenplays, and it has been 30 years since the first film and things have moved on wildly since the original.

And it's not like the original won't still exist, and it's also not like they haven't pissed all over the original with it's shitty, shitty sequels that already exist.

So it could be interesting, I suppose.

I think that looks like utter dog shit.

The original was very much of its time, but nailed the look of the comic, was great fun, had some fab performances (a very cartoony, over the top big bad) and had a cracking soundtrack. I really enjoyed it, much watch it again.

I agree though, a new version or sequel doesn't detract from the original or erase it and I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I just can't see what they're going for from that trailer.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

The Barkley Marathons documentary (2014)

Following the news that Jasmin Paris had become the first woman to complete this race in its 30+ year history this documentary is a great watch to understand precisely how bonkers the race is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-68643341

Every part of it is laced with contrarian hilarity, from the entry fee of $1.60, o the ‘human sacrifice’ entry where they give a place to someone who is utterly unprepared for it. The race is around 130 miles and equivalent to climbing Everest twice. There’s no markers on the course, most of it is off trail and there’s only one paper map of the course for everyone to share/copy. The race starts whenever the organisers feel like it during a 12 hour window.

Solid 8/10
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Gavster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:13 am The Barkley Marathons documentary (2014)
I watched this years ago when it was on Netflix. Brilliant documentary and yes, absolutely bonkers. :lol:

I also liked the ‘eccentricity’ of the organiser, if that’s the right word.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Saw Dune 2 at the cinema on Saturday.

Some odd parts which just don’t make sense but very watchable at the cinema.

Spoilers below……

They made a big deal about him going alone, they must go to the south etc. then 1 sip of poison and with zero explanation, they all turned up to meet him ?
So they can summon a worm, I can slightly understand that, but at the end it turns out they can drive them into battle ? No mention of that skill at all.
The coliseum style battle, hundreds of thousands came to see 3 mildly dull fights with absolutely no buildup ? Well that’s an anti-climax.

Visually stunning but the story just seems badly thought out.

Dave!