The Movie Thread

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Gavster »

Icarus

Absolutely riveting documentary film that starts off with Lance Armstrong’s doping scandal which inspires an amateur cyclist to do a year of doping and see how his performance improves.

The journey connects him to the head of Russia’s sports anti-drug lab, an eccentric scientist who turns out to be a pivotal character in Russia’s state sponsored doping scheme.

It’s a gripping story and which ramps up the tension with each turn. The scientist, Grigory, has great charisma, and tells a fantastic story, which is absolutely compelling, I couldn’t look away.

9.5 TRT shots out of 10
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 pm Icarus

Absolutely riveting documentary film that starts off with Lance Armstrong’s doping scandal which inspires an amateur cyclist to do a year of doping and see how his performance improves.

The journey connects him to the head of Russia’s sports anti-drug lab, an eccentric scientist who turns out to be a pivotal character in Russia’s state sponsored doping scheme.

It’s a gripping story and which ramps up the tension with each turn. The scientist, Grigory, has great charisma, and tells a fantastic story, which is absolutely compelling, I couldn’t look away.

9.5 TRT shots out of 10
Sold!
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Icarus is very good, I'm a sucker for a good sports doc. Screwball, about steroid use is pro baseball is good too.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:29 am Just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once on Amazon.

Best film I’ve seen this year by a long way. Probably the best film I’ve seen for a few years.
Might have to check that out - didn't JLC make a bit of a fuss when it first released?

Watched Thor: Love and Thunder last weekend. Meh. I like Taika Waititi but this felt like it was just trying to cram in too many wisecracks. As though they wrote the script and went straight with it, rather than going back through to trim out what didn't work. Didn't sit at all with the seriousness of Bale's Gorr.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:28 am Icarus is very good, I'm a sucker for a good sports doc. Screwball, about steroid use is pro baseball is good too.
I was really impressed, because I've scrolled past it on Netflix loads of times, assuming it would be average at best, but the plot and the storytelling really is top notch.

I'll check out Screwball too, not seen that either and also love sports docs.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Ascender wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:26 am
Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 pm Icarus

9.5 TRT shots out of 10
Sold!
You'll enjoy it for sure. It was the first film in ages that's really gripped me until the end. Now that I spend most of my time on TikTOk and have the attention span of a goldfish, that's quite a feat :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:00 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:29 am Just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once on Amazon.

Best film I’ve seen this year by a long way. Probably the best film I’ve seen for a few years.
Might have to check that out - didn't JLC make a bit of a fuss when it first released?

Watched Thor: Love and Thunder last weekend. Meh. I like Taika Waititi but this felt like it was just trying to cram in too many wisecracks. As though they wrote the script and went straight with it, rather than going back through to trim out what didn't work. Didn't sit at all with the seriousness of Bale's Gorr.
I hadn't heard about that, was apparently taking digs at Dr Strange 2 as they're both about multiverses :lol:. I have to say Dr Strange 2 is the best Marvel movie of the more recent ones but Everything, Everywhere All at Once is miles better.

I felt the same about Thor, being a big fan of the source material for this one the Waititi wackiness definitely detracted from the story a bit.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:02 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:28 am Icarus is very good, I'm a sucker for a good sports doc. Screwball, about steroid use is pro baseball is good too.
I was really impressed, because I've scrolled past it on Netflix loads of times, assuming it would be average at best, but the plot and the storytelling really is top notch.

I'll check out Screwball too, not seen that either and also love sports docs.
The Untold series is pretty good too, they all focus on different sporting scandals.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:32 am

I hadn't heard about that, was apparently taking digs at Dr Strange 2 as they're both about multiverses :lol:. I have to say Dr Strange 2 is the best Marvel movie of the more recent ones but Everything, Everywhere All at Once is miles better.

I felt the same about Thor, being a big fan of the source material for this one the Waititi wackiness definitely detracted from the story a bit.
I've not yet watched Dr Strange 2 either, so will check that out as well ta.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched Top Gun 2 last night, it was pretty good. Just the right amount of cheese, if a little over the top on nostalgia. No denying how spectacular the flight sequences were though.

Might be an age thing but I got more of a nostalgic kick from Jackass Forever :lol:
An absolute unit
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:58 am Watched Top Gun 2 last night, it was pretty good. Just the right amount of cheese, if a little over the top on nostalgia. No denying how spectacular the flight sequences were though.
Finally saw it last weekend and agree. Watched on a mate's massive 4K telly and the cinematography was absolutely amazing.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Someone else recommended this to me this week, will probably give it a watch over the weekend.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:38 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:32 am

I've not yet watched Dr Strange 2 either, so will check that out as well ta.
Agree, Everything, Everywhere All At Once is brilliant.

For Doctor Strange, don’t go in to it expecting a madcap race through the multiverse with lots of characters showing up a la Spider Man and I think you’ll enjoy it more.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

This is it

Whilst looking for some lazy viewing as a background to a bbq meat feeast stuffed crust pizza, I decided to slap on this documentary of Michael Jackson's rehearsals for the run of 50 shows he was due to perform shortly after he died.

It was absolutely fascinating to see how breathtakingly talented he was, at the age of 51, both in terms of his singing ability and dancing. I'm not even a big MJ fan, but it was amazing to see what an incredibly naturally talented showman he was.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blindspotting

On All 4 and a brilliant bit of cinema 👍
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah that’s a great movie
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:08 pm

Someone else recommended this to me this week, will probably give it a watch over the weekend.
hmmm, I watched it, and on the surface it should be something I like, but I just found it a bit dull. It just flitted between endless messy action scenes for the whole film and I just couldn't be arsed. Some funny bits like the sausage fingers and raccoon, but it just needed to stop and take a breath every now and then. Disappointing.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DaveE wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 pm Ad Astra

Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones (plus a nice cameo from Natasha Lyonne who was in Netflix's "Russian Doll") in a kind of 'Apocalypse Now in space' movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
A film which was, I’m sure marvellous in the cinema but at home, it was OK but not great.

I didn’t watch the credits but does it say “based on the novel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad”

Or in fact, the movie. The voiceover style is pure Apocalypse Now.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:41 pm
DaveE wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 pm Ad Astra

Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones (plus a nice cameo from Natasha Lyonne who was in Netflix's "Russian Doll") in a kind of 'Apocalypse Now in space' movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
A film which was, I’m sure marvellous in the cinema but at home, it was OK but not great.

I didn’t watch the credits but does it say “based on the novel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad”

Or in fact, the movie. The voiceover style is pure Apocalypse Now.
I quite enjoyed it, a solid 3 star movie IMO, but it did put me to sleep - which isn't a criticism as I do love a good movie to put on and then have a snooze to.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:56 pm Finally watched Parasite. It’s so sad I ended up getting the whisky out but what a great film.
I planned to see this on the big screen when it was released, but shizzle thwarted said plan. Stumbled across it on Film4 last night, but I missed the start and then realised it didn’t finish til 01:55 - bit much for a school night. :?

However - it is available to watch at your leisure on All4 for the next month…. 8-)