The Movie Thread

V8Granite

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by V8Granite »

400R is my favourite but I’m about £1,000,000 short.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am The Green Book

Very, very good with some excellent acting by Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. While not a terribly nice subject (black musician touring the deep South in 1962 to play for white people), the friendship developing between them throughout, and the change to Viggo's character is both believable and feels genuine.

Highly recommended, 9/10 Steinways.
Watched this last night (now it's become available via Netflix). You’ve pretty much nailed it - Mortensen’s efforts reminded me of “A History Of Violence” where I always thought he was superb.

Despite the topic - very funny at times too.

9 rapidly inhaled smokes out of 10
Spoiler
the ending could be accused of being a bit Planes, Trains & Automobiles though
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We went to see Dune 2 at the IMAX yesterday and it was pretty mind blowing. The visuals and score were stunning - an absolute assault on the senses. Loved it. Would recommend.
Cheers,

Mike.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:33 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am The Green Book

Very, very good with some excellent acting by Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. While not a terribly nice subject (black musician touring the deep South in 1962 to play for white people), the friendship developing between them throughout, and the change to Viggo's character is both believable and feels genuine.

Highly recommended, 9/10 Steinways.
Watched this last night (now it's become available via Netflix). You’ve pretty much nailed it - Mortensen’s efforts reminded me of “A History Of Violence” where I always thought he was superb.

Despite the topic - very funny at times too.

9 rapidly inhaled smokes out of 10
Spoiler
the ending could be accused of being a bit Planes, Trains & Automobiles though
We watched this last night and agree with all the above. I’ve not seen A History of Violence so that’s now on the list. I felt it ended a bit abruptly but then I think that about most films. I need answers! :lol:

As a piano basher myself I had to google whether Ali was actually playing any of it. He wasn’t
mik

Post by mik »

240PP wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:43 am
As a piano basher myself I had to google whether Ali was actually playing any of it. He wasn’t
First scene, I initially thought he was.... but it became clear he wasn't :)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:05 am We went to see Dune 2 at the IMAX yesterday and it was pretty mind blowing. The visuals and score were stunning - an absolute assault on the senses. Loved it. Would recommend.
Went to see this tonight too (although not IMAX)

Not sure if good or not

A stunning experience visually and sonically

Which just ended up confusing me as to weather or not it's actually and good 😂

Also, I kept thinking "How do they get OFF the worms?!”

And "How do they get loads of people ONTO them?!”
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:33 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:05 am We went to see Dune 2 at the IMAX yesterday and it was pretty mind blowing. The visuals and score were stunning - an absolute assault on the senses. Loved it. Would recommend.
Went to see this tonight too (although not IMAX)

Not sure if good or not

A stunning experience visually and sonically

Which just ended up confusing me as to weather or not it's actually and good 😂

Also, I kept thinking "How do they get OFF the worms?!”

And "How do they get loads of people ONTO them?!”
The logistics about using sandworms as a means of transport for a bunch of people, is probably something you shouldn't overthink. I certainly have questions about it.

I think I'd like to see the movie again because there's definitely a bit of being wowed by the whole experience as a spectacle which might distract a bit from how it stands on its own if you took the IMAX stuff away.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

@Ascender we saw it at our local Picture House cinema, and when it finished, the audience was very quiet/stunned

As we've both said, it's so overwhelming, I'm not quite sure if it was actually any good

Will look forward to watching it again at home, where I can have the sub-titles on!

(I got a lot more out of the first Dune film by watching with sub-titles)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

It was the same here, the audience was very quiet when it finished. I think I'm right in saying that the third part is definitely going to happen which makes sense as the end of part 2 clearly felt more like an intermission than a finale.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:00 am @Ascender we saw it at our local Picture House cinema, and when it finished, the audience was very quiet/stunned

As we've both said, it's so overwhelming, I'm not quite sure if it was actually any good

Will look forward to watching it again at home, where I can have the sub-titles on!

(I got a lot more out of the first Dune film by watching with sub-titles)
I watched the first one with subtitles yesterday, it definitely helped. I sometimes find this with films that use made up languages and names that don't follow our standard English format. Seeing them written helps to place them and remember them later for me.

The first film is great, I'm looking forward to seeing th 2nd at some point.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Spaceman, so shit I gave up after 30 minutes and I'm a bit of a Sandler fanboy.

Ferrari, 30 mins in and not great so far. The crash special effects are on par with the PS2 Burnout games :lol:
Edit - also shit, given up and on YouTube now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 am Nyad (Netflix I think).

The story of Diana Nyad and how she swam from Cuba to Florida. Annette Benning and Jodie Foster are a fantastic duo.

Movie aside, what stood out for me is how completely alien and unfathomable to me having that kind of singular, obsessive drive and ability is. It is a good watch

80/103 miles of open sea swimming with sharks and jellyfish.
Thanks for the recommendation, I jumped on this last night, it was a great watch, really emotive story. Contrary to your perspective, I completely understood her obsessive, singular desire to finish a sports achievement that was left incomplete :lol: I have many similar thoughts and the only thing that stops me from acting on them is the need to earn money.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:45 am

The story of Diana Nyad and how she swam from Cuba to Florida. Annette Benning and Jodie Foster are a fantastic duo.

Movie aside, what stood out for me is how completely alien and unfathomable to me having that kind of singular, obsessive drive and ability is. It is a good watch

Thanks for the recommendation, I jumped on this last night, it was a great watch, really emotive story. Contrary to your perspective, I completely understood her obsessive, singular desire to finish a sports achievement that was left incomplete :lol: I have many similar thoughts and the only thing that stops me from acting on them is the need to earn money.
I would have guessed that resonated with you. Glad you enjoyed it. Are you suddenly thinking about big swims?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Last Breath - a true story about a saturation dive that went wrong.

Incredible example of how awesome the human body is and how weird people are. I watched it a few years ago but re-watching was just as good.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

That’s one I’ve read about and keep meaning to get around to watching it. Where is it on as I’m too lazy to look myself? :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 am
Gavster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:45 am

I would have guessed that resonated with you. Glad you enjoyed it. Are you suddenly thinking about big swims?
Big swims like that are scary AF :lol: nothing planned, it's simply that I far prefer training and racing to anything else, and would happily chuck everything in to it full-time.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:17 pm Spaceman, so shit I gave up after 30 minutes and I'm a bit of a Sandler fanboy.

Ferrari, 30 mins in and not great so far. The crash special effects are on par with the PS2 Burnout games :lol:
Edit - also shit, given up and on YouTube now.
I had to do it in 3 sittings. I love space films....but this one wasn't for me...very slow movie.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Beekeeper

Utter tripe - even taking my brain out to watch it still left me insulted. I found myself looking at my phone so if a film can't hold my attention for 90 minutes then it fails fundamentally.

1 unnecessary killing of an innocent henchman who was just trying to earn a living our of 10 (and that's only because the ludicrous South African mercenary used the expression "Oik" which is one of my favourites... :lol: )

The Stranger

Aussie film, based on a true story, about an undercover cop trying to get a guy to admit involvement in a child abduction. Very dark, very bleak, very miserable. I'm not 100% certain if it's good or not to be honest so I'll give it

5 healthy beards out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
tim

Post by tim »

Napoleon - turned it off after 40 mins. Dreary and uninteresting.
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:04 am That Netflix Luther film

Shite, Andy Serkis was good but apart from that it’s not worth watching.
Luther - the Fallen Sun

I enjoyed it! A few stoopid plot elements, but I agree Andy Serkis was very good - as was Mr Elba - and there were some cool storyline aspects. Sound was good too.

7 herringbone overcoats out of 10.