The Movie Thread

DaveE

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by DaveE »

I'm so bored with all these Marvel, Avengers type films.

I tried to watch that Captain America: Civil War, and it was like watching someone play a very good video game.

Got bored after about 2 mins of the main intro "fight" and switched off.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm Halfway through Nightcrawler review.
Because the missus' ten year old came home halfway through, and it's not exactly a PG film. No, it's not X-men - 'nightcrawlers' are the video paparazzi who hunt down crime scenes overnight for the early morning news - which the titular character falls into by accident, and then turns out to be quite good at it. Then starts to manipulate things for his own ends....and that's as far as I've got.

Grimy, dark, dirty and unpleasant in some really rather good ways. Jake Gyllenhaal plays Jake Gyllenhaal in Jake Gyllenhaal - what he'd do if no-one wanted to hire him.

Need to catch the rest this week at some point, so far it's a solid 8/10. If you've seen Donnie Darko, imagine that character older, and with near zero empathy for other people - Gyllenhaal pulls that off nicely.
Finally got around to finishing this. Still an 8/10 for me, a very solid, lean film that's a bit like Taxi Driver in feel, but with a semi-satirical swipe at broadcast news in there.

There's also a very good (technically and visually) car chase in the last third.

It's definitely a bit grim but worth sticking on if you have Netflix.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

DaveE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 pm it was like watching someone play a very good video game.
Yes this is exactly what I think when watching most of these films. It really started with the Star Wars Prequels. In fact half the suff in those SW1-3 films seems only to exist so that they can have it in a Video Game level later on.

The Transformers films I find totally unwatchable, and the Avengers well they have good stuff like story/acting, but they really don't make me want to go and watch them at the cinema.

Maybe I'm just an old fart?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

In the interest of fairness I tried watching another Avengers film. Civil war or something. Aside from the story being about as interesting as the trade embargoes of The Phantom Menace, what is it with the camera man having an epileptic fit every time there’s an action scene? It’s basically unwatchable. 0/10

Edit, and for when ZedLeg tells me I hate all comic movies so my opinion is void, I enjoyed the following comic Films:

All the xmen films (barring the Japanese wolverine one)
Iron man 1
Batman begins and TDK (in my top five films ever)
Deadpool
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol: thanks for the list rich.
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 pm In the interest of fairness I tried watching another Avengers film. Civil war or something. Aside from the story being about as interesting as the trade embargoes of The Phantom Menace, what is it with the camera man having an epileptic fit every time there’s an action scene? It’s basically unwatchable. 0/10

Edit, and for when ZedLeg tells me I hate all comic movies so my opinion is void, I enjoyed the following comic Films:

Iron man 1
Deadpool
Pretending you like DC / Marvel films is just a life style statement about being a nerd but not one of the smart ones.

No real person actually enjoys them.
Real-life Females
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nathan wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 pm In the interest of fairness I tried watching another Avengers film. Civil war or something. Aside from the story being about as interesting as the trade embargoes of The Phantom Menace, what is it with the camera man having an epileptic fit every time there’s an action scene? It’s basically unwatchable. 0/10

Iron man 1
Deadpool
Pretending you like DC / Marvel films is just a life style statement about being a nerd but not one of the smart ones.

You can’t lump them all in the same boat - TDK is awesome, as is deadpool, and obviously totally different from each other.

But the Avengers films. Yep. All absolute tripe.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Nathan wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pmPretending you like DC / Marvel films is just a life style statement about being a nerd but not one of the smart ones.

WOW.

Just WOW.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Nathan wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Iron man 1
Deadpool

You can’t lump them all in the same boat - TDK is awesome, as is deadpool, and obviously totally different from each other.

But the Avengers films. Yep. All absolute tripe.
Deadpool is possibly worse with the 'edgy' cordorouy humour.

TDK can't be lumped with this other brony entertainment.
Real-life Females
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 pm
Nathan wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pmPretending you like DC / Marvel films is just a life style statement about being a nerd but not one of the smart ones.

WOW.

Just WOW.
It’s a belter isn’t it :lol:

It’s true though, I am just a not very smart brony.
An absolute unit
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Nathan wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm No real person actually enjoys them.
Well that makes sense, 99 % of the people here are imaginary anyway, even the ones I've imagined I met. Probably the films don't actually exist either, so I don't know what exactly no-one is not complaining about?
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 pm

WOW.

Just WOW.
:lol:

The only surprising thing about that statement is that N took the time to type it out.
I personally find the chicks just swarming all over me for my cool lifestyle choice of enjoying the MCU movies... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Coincidentally - I've been re-watching 2001: A Space Odyssey this W/E gone.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ce-odyssey

I'm also trying to find out which Vickers Yard actually built the rotating carousel set.

You can see where Chris Nolan got his ideas for the gravity set on Inception come from!

David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Yeah rewatched a fair chunk of 2001 on Sky Movies last week. There really hasn't been a sci fi film like it before or since.
Just stunning. The story, cinematography, SFX, sound and soundtrack (and often, lack of it) are simply peerless.
And so, so prescient on so many things. Apart from how pathetic our progress into space has actually been.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Game Night

I was looking forward to this. Not recommended.

Longest 1hr30 film I can remember
Real-life Females
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep - fairly shite tbh. I'm surprised a culture vulture like Nathan would have looked forward to it, let alone watched it. What's going on?
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

I’ve been meaning to watch this for quite some time and I’m glad I did. Fantastically creepy slow burn, with everyone putting in solid performances.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

ANON (on sky) - Google's personal analytics taken to a new level where everyone is permanently on a network and constantly monitored including everything they see whilst everything is identified for them. Owen plays a cop hunting a murderer who is able to hack the network to remove any trace of their presence and delete any memories leaving no evidence to follow.

Decent enough film although it would have been a lot easier to catch the hacker if they had remembered what cameras and CCTV were

6.5 Skynets out of 10
Join us, join the Teslarati!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Maurice wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:35 pm The Killing of a Sacred Deer

I’ve been meaning to watch this for quite some time and I’m glad I did. Fantastically creepy slow burn, with everyone putting in solid performances.
Ah I'd forgotten about that movie, I thought The Lobster was brilliant so I need to check it out.
An absolute unit
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Back to Marvel movies, because who could ever get enough of them?! ;)

Deadpool 2. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't as big a fan of Deadpool as some, but this one had a better story, although incredibly derivative.
However the script was hilarious (embellished by Reynolds himself this time) and Josh Brolin is, yet again, utterly brilliant.

Funny to see the guy from Catastrophe turn up, albeit very briefly.
It's good, dirty, irreverent, immature fun.

Was surprised to see it was directed by David Leitch who co-directed John Wick (which I didn't like) and Atomic Blonde (which I really liked). Busy boy.

Top tip: stay for the mid-credits stingers. I believe there are 5 of them and one of them is very relevant to the plot, whilst all 5 are very funny.
I don't think there was one at the very end, so no need to sit to the very end of the credits.