The Movie Thread

David_Yu

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by David_Yu »

Watched Batman: The Killing Joke a few days ago on Sky Movies. It was ok, very dark and "adult". Hamill and Conroy do their usual excellent voice work, but it was a pretty thin story, mainly there to showcase a few controversial moments.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Although clearly most of you are far too mature, grown up and interesting to go and see a kids' film, I have started a separate Avengers: Infinity War spoiler thread for those who want to discuss as it is a VERY hard film to discuss without giving away spoilers.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I watched Bladerunner 2049 yesterday.

They somehow turned it into a snooze fest with less atmosphere than the original. Very disappointing.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am I watched Bladerunner 2049 yesterday.

They somehow turned it into a snooze fest with less atmosphere than the original. Very disappointing.

Dave!
It's funny how people can watch the same movie and come away with diametrically opposed opinions on it :lol:.

Tried watching the original again a couple of weeks ago and it's still shite.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Black Panther

That was pretty good. I have no knowledge of most Marvel stuff and just go from the movies, so I was wondering if BP was going to be...er...a bit 'woke' but no, other than a bit of suspension of disbelief, an entire technologically advanced civilisation hidden in Africa was done pretty 'believably' as well as these things can be. Certainly as much as Iron Man, Captain America, etc.

Totally worth a look.

Seven large black cats out of ten.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

“Woke”??
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 am“Woke”??
If you don't know, I can't fucking explain it.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:16 pm
Does anyone know?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 pm
Beany wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:16 pm
Does anyone know?
I think from the glowing remarks it got from some of the more agressively SJWy people I follow on Twitter, I was expecting it to be rather 'right on' in an 'on the nose' way that would have annoyed even lefty liberal old me.

Can't say I noticed anything of that ilk (although obvious cultural/black history stuff was mentioned and handled well), and as the old saying goes, if you do it right, no-one knows you've done anything at all.

Anyway, as I say, enjoyed it quite a lot.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's a slang word to describe people who are aware of and actively trying to counter the circumstances that cause the institutional and casual discrimination of minorities that can hold them back in society. Pretty much.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

David_Yu wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:15 pm Watched Batman: The Killing Joke a few days ago on Sky Movies. It was ok, very dark and "adult". Hamill and Conroy do their usual excellent voice work, but it was a pretty thin story, mainly there to showcase a few controversial moments.
I would have preferred this to have been shorter. It felt a bit like a Batgirl film at the beginning and then Joker film at the end

Should have just been a Joker film

Someone could do an excellent, and very easy, fan edit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:33 pm It's a slang word to describe people who are aware of and actively trying to counter the circumstances that cause the institutional and casual discrimination of minorities that can hold them back in society. Pretty much.
And it's a bit of a pejorative in the more right leaning spheres, which is more the direction where I was coming from in that usage, if you see what I mean.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

There we go, that wasn’t so hard.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm There we go, that wasn’t so hard.
I dunno, it involved typing long words.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 pm
I dunno, it involved someone else typing long words.
EFA 😃
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Real-life Females
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

If anyone is interested, the Nathan version of Avengers is very good and worth tracking down:

Trailer
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:43 pm
Beany wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 pm
I dunno, it involved someone else typing long words.
EFA 😃
Very true :D

Halfway through Nightcrawler review.
Because the missus' ten year old came home halfway through, and it's not exactly a PG film. No, it's not X-men - 'nightcrawlers' are the video paparazzi who hunt down crime scenes overnight for the early morning news - which the titular character falls into by accident, and then turns out to be quite good at it. Then starts to manipulate things for his own ends....and that's as far as I've got.

Grimy, dark, dirty and unpleasant in some really rather good ways. Jake Gyllenhaal plays Jake Gyllenhaal in Jake Gyllenhaal - what he'd do if no-one wanted to hire him.

Need to catch the rest this week at some point, so far it's a solid 8/10. If you've seen Donnie Darko, imagine that character older, and with near zero empathy for other people - Gyllenhaal pulls that off nicely.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Rewatched Captain America: Civil War last night and thought it was great, on par with the best Marvel movies. I found it meh the first time round most likely due to watching it on a long-flight to Canada. 8.5 ants out of 10.
M235i
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

3 Bill Boards

superb film with some incredibly strong performances, it starts off how you expect it too but takes its own unexpected path pretty quickly ending not where you expect it to, like not even close

8.5 midget BJ's out of 10
Join us, join the Teslarati!