The Movie Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 am Looking for something to watch last night and the wife picked the latest Jurassic park film.

Fuck me you lot weren’t kidding. What a load of tosh
yeah, I know what people want in a dinosaur movie, less dinosaurs and more about a cloned girl and some other bollocks.

Another film that could be described as flimsy and pointless to be fair!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:08 am
dinny_g wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm Leave the World Behind

Really enjoyed this one. Great cast, interest story, some cool camera shots and angles.

8 demented deer out of 10
Watched this last night. I think it was rated 6.5 on IMDB, but we liked the cast so went in with an open mind. Really good on the whole, I agree with 8 out of 10. In the early stages before anything interesting was happening, it did kind of feel like the director was just showing off his ability to create suspense where none existed through camera angles and music. The whole thing generally worked though, and had a slightly more cinematic feel than a lot of recent movies I've watched.
They messed up with the subtitles, if you know what the Spanish woman is in such a panic about it helps!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rebel Moon I thought my expectations had been lowered enough. Actually when the cool old wardroid was about I thought it might actually be pretty good.

It was always going to be cheesy you could tell that from the open title. But not even space a Hippogriff could rescue this from so much high density stupid. Oh and crap spaceship designs.

Wonka excellent, Timothy Chalamet is an utter git though, singing, dancing, snogging Zendaya.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:44 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 pm Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney+)

It was surprisingly not that awful, and captured some of the essence of the first two, while usefully adding newness and a nice wrap at the end.

Story as bonkers as the others, but it didn't quite matter. Phoebe Waller-Bridges did a decent job of lifting a rather clunky plot line.

I was suitably entertained. 6/10 whip cracks.
I must have seen a different film. It seemed to consist entirely of overly long action scenes that didn't really advance the plot, desperate attempts to involve old characters that didn't add anything to the plot and a weird ending that they couldn't be arsed to write a plot for.

Flimsy and pointless.
Possibly. What did you watch?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 am

Really enjoyed this one. Great cast, interest story, some cool camera shots and angles.

Watched this last night. I think it was rated 6.5 on IMDB, but we liked the cast so went in with an open mind. Really good on the whole, I agree with 8 out of 10. In the early stages before anything interesting was happening, it did kind of feel like the director was just showing off his ability to create suspense where none existed through camera angles and music. The whole thing generally worked though, and had a slightly more cinematic feel than a lot of recent movies I've watched.
They messed up with the subtitles, if you know what the Spanish woman is in such a panic about it helps!
You made me look this up, I don't see how subtitles in this really added much? She's just describing things she's seen which you're about to see anyway. :?

Didn't realise it's the same director as Mr Robot, makes sense.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 pm Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney+)

It was surprisingly not that awful, and captured some of the essence of the first two, while usefully adding newness and a nice wrap at the end.

Story as bonkers as the others, but it didn't quite matter. Phoebe Waller-Bridges did a decent job of lifting a rather clunky plot line.

I must have seen a different film. It seemed to consist entirely of overly long action scenes that didn't really advance the plot, desperate attempts to involve old characters that didn't add anything to the plot and a weird ending that they couldn't be arsed to write a plot for.

Flimsy and pointless.
We watched it the other night and it was pretty rubbish. Didn't enjoy Toby Jones being dropped in as some kind of Denholm Elliott substitute and really wasn't bothered about Phoebe whatsherface.

Should have left the franchise alone! 🙁
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 pm

Flimsy and pointless.
Possibly. What did you watch?
Some of the laziest writing I've ever seen. The dull action sequences are stretched for HOURS, then they rush the ending because they hadn't quite worked it out and hoped no one would notice.

The ending where PW-B decides the best thing to do is not listen to an 80 year old man's wishes, but instead punch him so hard in the face to knock him unconscious (obviously a perfectly judged punch so he'll be knocked unconscious for the whole "journey" home but not leaving any lasting damage of course. Then presumably she somehow carried the 80 year old unconscious man on that journey too - who knows?!)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I said the story was bonkers. Interesting that you focus on the punch, not the time travel? Anyway, I thought it was okay. You don't.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 pm I said the story was bonkers. Interesting that you focus on the punch, not the time travel? Anyway, I thought it was okay. You don't.
I can suspend disbelief for time travel, there have been stories about time travel for centuries - but punching an 80 year old in the face to help them get home is just daft (and whilst there has been an example of being punched out in the Indiana jones movies before) it was incredibly lazy this time, like they suddenly looked at their watch and realised they'd been going way too long and needed to wrap it up quickly. "Quick, get the woman to deck the pensioner!"

Just more shitty plots that don't work, but still get hundreds of millions spent on them.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Christ, this one was frustrating. Watched it over a couple of nights earlier in the week after my cousin-in-law 'recommended' it (wanted to see what we thought of it).

Anyway, don't think the Spanish woman helped that much - wife translated for me but there's no real reveals in what she said. Thought the whole thing was building to a climax, but then the ending just fizzled away. Felt like a ruined orgasm TBH. :D

Really wanted it to be a great, brilliant ending, but
Spoiler
at the end of the film where you could just see the bombs going off if felt like a complete anti-climax. Felt like we were being led to believe this was gonna be something bigger or weirder than just a war. Utterly frustrating.
Good cast and acting, but terrible plot. 5/10 for me.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Also watched last night. Some of the early shots (first 15mins or so) were stunning. 8-) The first in-car scene where the camera travels from inside through a closed window to outside of the car. When Julia Roberts enters the house for the first time and the camera tracks her through walls & floors etc without showing a reflection in the window. Seriously impressive 8-) .... but ultimately overdone through the film. :?

Plot had more than one hole for me, and had illogical shizzle going on, but it was still enjoyable. I'll second your 8/10.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:34 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 am

You made me look this up, I don't see how subtitles in this really added much? She's just describing things she's seen which you're about to see anyway. :?

Didn't realise it's the same director as Mr Robot, makes sense.
I need to look those subtitles up too now.... I really enjoyed it but seemed to be another film that splits opinion.

The trailer for Civil War from A24 looks like it could be set in parallel to this story.

Re Mr Robot... The laptop being used early on has the E(vil) Corp logo on its lid.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Wonka

Wonderful!

It's basically the cast of Paddington plus some others

If you liked those, you'll love this too...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:05 pm Wonka

Wonderful!

It's basically the cast of Paddington plus some others

If you liked those, you'll love this too...
That reminds me, we booked to go watch this on NYE. Walked into town with the plan for a few drinks afterwards as well, but apparently there was a technical fault that meant that it couldn't be shown at all, anywhere, nationally, on that day. :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

SISU

Main character doesn't utter a word in 90 mins. Blood n guts and some questionable reality but 90 mins of entertainment.

8 exploding heads out of 10.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Society of the Snow on Netflix

Not a review as such, started watching the Spanish version and didn’t get on with it. (Just put all the subtitles in the black box at the bottom, not half and half etc. it ground my gears) and the dubbed version was stupid.

But more the fact that despite reading many reviews, only 1 mentions “Alive” and that one as a brief note at the end.

Are we now that old that these aren’t re-makes anymore??? That the original is so old that you don’t even need to mention it anymore??? :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A Haunting in Venice

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but I love the stories and the way Branagh makes them. A welcome return to form after the dross that was "Death on the Nile". Murder on the Orient Express was great and this was too.

He would be well served with sticking to the lesser known books as the first two were well known and had been made multiple times so it was like In-built spoiler but I hadn't read Hallowe'en Party so enjoyed the ending.

Solid 7/10
Last edited by dinny_g on Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yep, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Saltburn. Enjoyed it despite the lack of any portrayal of Zonda, who I assumed it was about being the only notable resident of Saltburn. Bit indulgent in length - Amazon can do that whereas a theatre release would have been more tightly edited.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

It is quite odd seeing it pop up on Netflix all the time, have to keep reminding myself it's nothing to do with Saltburn!