The Movie Thread

McSwede

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am The Green Book

Very, very good with some excellent acting by Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. While not a terribly nice subject (black musician touring the deep South in 1962 to play for white people), the friendship developing between them throughout, and the change to Viggo's character is both believable and feels genuine.

Highly recommended, 9/10 Steinways.
Good isn't it. I really enjoyed it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Trading Places

A Christmas classic with the use of negro and nigger which will make it unacceptable to some younger snowflake viewers.

On a similar vein watched Wolf of wall street last night. Great great film.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:39 am Trading Places

A Christmas classic with the use of negro and nigger which will make it unacceptable to some younger snowflake viewers.
It’s still brilliant, even after all these years...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Trading Places is a great movie. People don’t hate the n word, they hate white people saying it for attention ;).
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm Trading Places is a great movie. People don’t hate the n word, they hate white people saying it for attention ;).
People don't hate being called a Negro? Guess you're one so you'll know. 😀
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Am I going to have to explain context to you Broccers?

Anyway, watched a movie called Overlord this morning.

Exceedingly silly movie about a group of American soldiers dropped behind the lines on D-day to blow up a radio tower and find a nazi mad scientist trying to make super soldiers. Worth a watch if you like daft gory monster movies.

Watched Ready or Not last night. About a woman being hunted around her new in laws giant mansion. Again very silly but good fun.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:12 pm Anyway, watched a movie called Overlord this morning.

Exceedingly silly movie about a group of American soldiers dropped behind the lines on D-day to blow up a radio tower and find a nazi mad scientist trying to make super soldiers. Worth a watch if you like daft gory monster movies.
Sounds right up my strasse. I'll keep an eye out for that
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Long Shot

Even Charlize Theron couldn't save this.
Real-life Females
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Overlord is very entertaining, a cracking B movie with a big budget.

I watched The Eagle Has Landed yesterday for the first time ever but the accents from Donald Sutherland (fiddly-dee Oirish) and Michael Caine (no idea) really grated. I managed to stay with it until JR turned up, but his scenery chewing was just too much for me. Which is a shame as I love a good 60s/70s movie with a gentle pace - if I'm not enjoying it, the slow pace inevitably puts me to sleep. See also Day of the Jackal.

We've just finished a rewatch of the Mission Impossible movies which absolute rock and I think are under-appreciated given their quality over the six of them. I know the John Woo one is a bit ropey in places and hasn't aged well, but on the whole they just keep getting better & better.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. Pure shit.
How about not having a sig at all?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:16 pm I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. Pure shit.
Talking of pure shit, currently trying to watch ghostbusters 2016, Don’t know how much more I can take. I totally avoided it until now as I wasn’t going to fork out anything extra for it after the negative publicity. I don’t think I’ll get through the whole film. Even Kristen wiig can’t save it and she’s usually pretty good.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

What was the verdict on It: Chapter Two? I really enjoyed the first one, but was aware of the pretty average to poor reviews for the second one. Did anybody here see it and enjoy it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Downsizing.

Interesting premise, quite a good start, very dull film.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Spies in disguise perfectly passable family movie with occasional good laugh out loud moments. Obviously a lot of Bond pisstaking for the grown-ups.
Barry

Post by Barry »

John Wick 3:

Felt like a behind the scenes docu of Keanu training for the first half, then just endless and really contrived fighting for the latter half (which is all these films are to be fair).

Just, bad. I left it running while I surfed YouTube and Auto Trader.
Barry

Post by Barry »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am John Wick 3.

I’m a fan of the first one, the second one was ok but the third was utter rubbish.

Spoiler....

Halle Berry was ok and her dogs were cool. The problem being the fight scenes looked like they took a dog agility course and popped a Persian rug over it, poorly done.
So many fight scenes were obviously choreographed, no realism to it.
How many glass boxes can we break ?
I’m surprised they didn’t meet Homer Simpson in the desert scene as he wandered from the chilli cook-off.
Angelica Houston was sinister, the back story to it was ridiculous.
Why did they try and add comedy into the fights? It was like the director really enjoyed hot shots part deluxe and wanted to put a little of that into the movie.
The motorbike scene was a disappointment.

Also I know it’s superhero style fighting but when you fall off. A building smashing into everything on the way down, you die.

A repetitive, silly movie where every single person in the world is an assassin.

3/10 and that’s only because I like the dogs.

Dave!
Dave! sums it up quite well, to be fair. All of this.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Knives Out is bloody great.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

2 mins into watching the live action Jungle Book with my little girl. Already it's a bit shit!!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I saw Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and Joker this week. I loved them both. Deal with it.

Joker was a very difficult watch in places but I loved the writing, the way they handled his character’s change, the soundtrack and the way it was shot. Obviously I failed to see what on earth people were talking about when they were worried/wishing for it to incite violence.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rammstein: Paris

Available on Prime now. I've seen pretty much the same show live a few years ago and it floored all of us seasoned metalheads that went. One hell of a show. Fvcking immense. If you're even slightly into rock/metal then get this on, and loud. Even the wife loved it.