The Movie Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think of directors as Nolan / not-Nolan. Full disclosure.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I prefer Interstellar over Inception but both are brilliant.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 am
Simon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 am Interstellar is definitely worth a rewatch. I've seen it 4, maybe 5 times now. But also because I think the soundtrack really is one of Zimmer's absolute best.

And yes Zed, rewatch TBS when sober and report back!
Not compared to Inception. But then nothing compares to Inception in my closed-off little mind.
You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

My love for the Interstellar soundtrack is three fold. Because 1) They threw away all the ideas he'd ever had before and started completely clean sheet. Even the main instrument is new to Zimmer (church organ). 2) Nolan didn't tell Zimmer what the film was about when he asked him to write the music, he merely gave him one page of text describing some ideas and themes in the movie and told him to use that as his basis for inspiration. Finally, 3) when Zimmer was recording the music live (after first composing it in Nuendo) they didn't take picture with them for reference, so they just had to compare the feelings of how they felt when they first saw the movie to how they felt when recording the pieces of music.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

There’s a few covers of the Interstellar soundtrack played on church organs on YouTube that are brilliant. In an interview Zimmer talks about the organ breathing and therefore sounding like a human voice in many ways. There’s a great section where the notes you hear are actually the absence of notes caused by the valves slamming shut. Hard to explain but the effect works really well.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm My love for the Interstellar soundtrack is three fold. Because 1) They threw away all the ideas he'd ever had before and started completely clean sheet. Even the main instrument is new to Zimmer (church organ). 2) Nolan didn't tell Zimmer what the film was about when he asked him to write the music, he merely gave him one page of text describing some ideas and themes in the movie and told him to use that as his basis for inspiration. Finally, 3) when Zimmer was recording the music live (after first composing it in Nuendo) they didn't take picture with them for reference, so they just had to compare the feelings of how they felt when they first saw the movie to how they felt when recording the pieces of music.
Sounds like a load of largely unnecessary Bollixology...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 pm
Simon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm My love for the Interstellar soundtrack is three fold. Because 1) They threw away all the ideas he'd ever had before and started completely clean sheet. Even the main instrument is new to Zimmer (church organ). 2) Nolan didn't tell Zimmer what the film was about when he asked him to write the music, he merely gave him one page of text describing some ideas and themes in the movie and told him to use that as his basis for inspiration. Finally, 3) when Zimmer was recording the music live (after first composing it in Nuendo) they didn't take picture with them for reference, so they just had to compare the feelings of how they felt when they first saw the movie to how they felt when recording the pieces of music.
Sounds like a load of largely unnecessary Bollixology...
Having lived with someone who writes music for a long time now, a lot of the process can sound look shite :lol:.

Whatever it takes to get the music right though.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nolan - "Here's the script, you know what I do, I need 2 hours of cool music by March

Zimmer - "No worries, I'll knock out something next week."
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Source:

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm Nolan - "Here's the script, you know what I do, I need 2 hours of cool music by March

Zimmer - "No worries, I'll knock out something next week."
So that's the story behind the Bwooooooaaarrrp, double helpigs of Jalfrezi and a weeks.... Effort.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I realise that trying to educate Dinny is, in itself, a fools effort, however:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Like throwing jelly at a Teflon-coated wall, Dave.

It just ain't gonna stick.
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^ Which his the shorter edit of the video I posted above ;)

But we're splitting hairs here. Nolan is FG, Zimmer is FG. It's just that the Interstellar soundtrack is more FG than the Inception one.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The keyword is Unnecessary...

I'm not saying that wasn't how the music was crafted, I'm suggesting that armed with the script or storyboards, the result would have been largely the same.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Could not disagree more. Have you watched the video above? Have you seen what Zimmer and Nolan have said about that process?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:52 pm Could not disagree more. Have you watched the video above? Have you seen what Zimmer and Nolan have said about that process?
It’s not worth it, man. You’ve led the horse to water.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Just agree with him and move past it - you're trying to swim up a waterfall here.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I think Nolan should stop trying to stretch Xfiles and Star Trek scripts into full length movies.

Inception kind of worked but Interstellar was just tiresome. He makes a truly great movie every seven or eight years, I don't hold out much hope for another before 2024.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I think the The Dark Knight is better than Interstellar or Inception and I don’t really do superhero movies.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was kind of curious about JL's and your opinion about his Batman movies considering your rarely stated opinions about superhero stuff.

The Dark Knight is in my top 5 all time favourite films but I think The Prestige is probably my favourite film.

I'm definitely going to rewatch all of his films to see if those opinions change.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 pm Just agree with him and move past it - you're trying to swim up a waterfall here.
You’re right JL... as always...

Rev, you are correct. The method Nolan and Zimmer used to create the music was brilliant and both the music, and the Movie, would have been rubbish if they’d done anything else... ;)