The Movie Thread

NotoriousREV

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:08 pm I was kind of curious about JL's and your opinion about his Batman movies considering your rarely stated opinions about superhero stuff.

The Dark Knight is in my top 5 all time favourite films but I think The Prestige is probably my favourite film.

I'm definitely going to rewatch all of his films to see if those opinions change.
My only issue with The Dark Knight is the concept of anyone finding Maggie Gyllenhaal attractive.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:08 pm I was kind of curious about JL's and your opinion about his Batman movies considering your rarely stated opinions about superhero stuff.

The Dark Knight is in my top 5 all time favourite films but I think The Prestige is probably my favourite film.

I'm definitely going to rewatch all of his films to see if those opinions change.
My only issue with The Dark Knight is the concept of anyone finding Maggie Gyllenhaal attractive.
Blimey, I agree with you on both counts. Maggie was well past it by The Dark Knight (and was never facially attractive in the first place). Katie Holmes was much more attractive.

I'm more a Jonathan Nolan fan than a Christopher Nolan one. Person Of Interest was a superb series and Westworld is vying for one of my all time faves.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Superb films, as far as they can be for superhero films for children. :lol:

Nah they're epic films, I'm just not into the whole superhero thing, being an adult and stuff.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I wouldn’t say she was past it. Certainly age appropriate versus Christian Bale and Aaron Eckhart. Just not as pretty as the script suggested.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wasn't Katie Holmes otherwise unavailable for TDK? Or maybe she didn't want to do it. I'm sure Nolan would've kept continuity with the actress if he could.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

She was married to Tom Cruise and the rumour was that he didn’t want her working. Some Scientology shite.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Also, from the Rachel Dawes page on Wikipedia "Katie Holmes was to reprise as Rachel in The Dark Knight; she turned it down and starred in Mad Money instead."
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Richard

Post by Richard »

Baby Driver

Good. Bit different. Cool.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Just booked two family tickets for Avengers: Infinity War. Opening night, but only 2nd largest screen I think. <fail>
I would normally book IMAX for such a mega blockbuster, but we all had such a nightmare getting to our nearest, Wimbledon, last time that it put everyone off the hassle. And BFI was hugely disappointing when we drove all the way there to watch Rogue One. Dirty screen and slightly out of focus.

Really intrigued if they can make a movie that satisfies after 18 rounds of foreplay. That's some raised expectation there!

And before the compulsory "kids movie" snide remarks, I do actually have two kids. (But would be a fan of the MCU even if I didn't... ;) )
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I just wish I was able to derive as much enjoyment from films made for children as you lot do. I mean that, btw.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am I just wish I was able to derive as much enjoyment from films made for children as you lot do. I mean that, btw.
Not all kids movies, just the good ones. Which are actually universal, they don't specify an upper age limit. :D

I was looking forward to enjoying Star Wars movies until the day I died, but fvcking Rian Johnson stole that from me, the cvnt.

And the MCU might never be as good again post Infinity War as there are some BIG changes coming what with (minor SPOILER ALERT) the imminent departure of RDJ, who really is fantastic as Iron Man and tied the whole franchise together. (And yes, I've heard about other rumoured major departures too, but let's keep this thread spoiler free).
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

David_Yu wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am I just wish I was able to derive as much enjoyment from films made for children as you lot do. I mean that, btw.
Not all kids movies, just the good ones. Which are actually universal, they don't specify an upper age limit. :D

I was looking forward to enjoying Star Wars movies until the day I died, but fvcking Rian Johnson stole that from me, the cvnt.

And the MCU might never be as good again post Infinity War as there are some BIG changes coming what with (minor SPOILER ALERT) the imminent departure of RDJ, who really is fantastic as Iron Man and tied the whole franchise together. (And yes, I've heard about other rumoured major departures too, but let's keep this thread spoiler free).
i thought most of the chars die in infinity war, which will enable them to bring in Thor Girl, Ironheart etc.

Join us, join the Teslarati!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBH if they were going to replace Iron Man with a younger model they'd be better to do Iron Lad from the Young Avengers stuff, would let them introduce Kang the Conqueror as a new big bad as well.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

David_Yu wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am
I think the key to enjoying family movies is to not take them to seriously.

Bears don't carry marmalade sandwiches in hats.

Stormtroopers fail marksmanship 101.

Space rangers have low situational awareness.

Indy didn't really need to get out of bed.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 pm let them introduce Kang the Conqueror as a new big bad as well.
Cowabunga dude! Infinity Ninja war Turtle teenagers.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 pm let them introduce Kang the Conqueror as a new big bad as well.
That would be Krang :)
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 pm
RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm
That would be Krang :)
It's gonna be awesome.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Martian

(Yes I know I'm late to the party)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good mix of humour and suspense with some amazing visuals. Only real WTF moment was when the astrodynamics dude is sat in the supercomputer datacentre with a wire connected to his laptop to run/verify his calculations. Have they not heard of networks?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Batman Ninja, worth buying?

Join us, join the Teslarati!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

In the late to the party vein, I watched Deadpool last week. I thought it was brilliant and watched it with my other half the day after.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.