The lawn mower thread

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

The lawn mower thread

Post by JonMad »

Fed up with mountfield engine crap that fails to start 50% of the time. Petrol or electric cordless. Preferably under £300. Ideally powered. What you got?
Left over crest; tightens.
Zonda_

Re: The lawn mower thread

Post by Zonda_ »

My dad's Mountfield always starts on the button, literally. My electrician mate said to stay away from the battery powered ones.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wasn’t the forum consensus on this last time round to buy a Honda ISY?
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Honda for me. Unless you need a sit-on?...
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

How big is your lawn? We've got a leccy one with a cord and it does everything we need. Paid something like £50-75 four years ago. Only had to replace the blade a few times and had my sparky neighbour redo the lead as it was broken.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Well, it's not big but awkward. Several separate sections around our driveway at the front, trees to navigate round, and the rear garden is sloped hence I've liked having the self-propelled one. I can't help thinking a cordless electric one is the way to go for zero maintenance (which is probably why my Mountfield one was knackered in the first place).
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IanF wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm Honda for me.
Seems to be the board default...

I have a Toro and, aside from a collection mechanism that is prone to clogging up if you're cutting really long grass, I can't fault it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We have a petrol something or other with a Honda engine. It's had zero maintenance for the last ten years but still works fine. I think the deck will be rotted out before the engine dies 😂

Some of the modern cordless electric ones look pretty good, but it can be expensive to buy into if you've not got anything else in their system.

I've got some einhell drills and a grinder so bought a strimmer which uses the same batteries and it's great, seems to last forever so I have wondered whether their battery mower which takes two batteries would be any good. Would be handy just for the lack of noise, and I'm sure would be fine for normal trimming but possibly not if it gets too long.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My Honda Izy is now a decade or so old, has never been serviced (the oil is still nicely clean looking) and always just works. Twice I've 'broken' it through maltreatment; a plastic clip which holds the clutch cable onto the handle took a hammering and broke, so I got another online for a couple of quid and clipped it back on. And I managed to knock the drive belt off by being hamfisted over some rough stuff; it went back on easily without dismantling anything.

I wouldn't buy anything else now; while I'd like a ride-on, that's not strictly necessary (I only have 1/3 of an acre and there are a lot of bushes and flowerbeds).
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I bought an Izy on SJJ's recommendation, can't fault it 😎
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My 15 year old Mountfield is going well. The electric starter stopped working but it fires up on the first pull so I’m not bothered. I’ve never done any maintenance on it whatsoever. The only problem I have is that the handle has snapped so I need someone with a welder to put it back together.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I bent the crankshaft on my old Mountfield by running over the corner of a raised drain. Not had the same problem with the Izy, even when doing similar stupid things with it (I ran it over a concreted-in piece of ironwork a few weeks ago, causing it to stop rather suddenly).
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Izy ordered. Ta.

edit: over budget --> evonomics.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm I bent the crankshaft on my old Mountfield by running over the corner of a raised drain. Not had the same problem with the Izy, even when doing similar stupid things with it (I ran it over a concreted-in piece of ironwork a few weeks ago, causing it to stop rather suddenly).
Was looking for this Fred when I noticed the above? Sure you bent the crank? I ask as I discovered that they have sacrificial flywheel keys comme ca which are designed to deform if this happens and protect the crank. I hit a big tree root and a couple of rock with mine and it started running crap and kicking back horribly when you tried to start it - just when you reached full-pull it would rip the starter cord out of your hand. Most unpleasant. Pain to get to without a decent puller, but easy enough to replace : ran great again.

Anyway - the old SP470 went to a new owner tonight as I now got an ex-display SP53H that had never seen grass. 167cc Honda engine which should be more frugal (saves refuelling time/hassle as opposed to pennies), wider cut, and a nifty single-lever height adjust system. I was keen on this one as it raises higher than most to 90mm - needed for a couple of sloped and rougher grass sections (I wouldn’t call them lawns). Bigger and slightly wider wheels should resist it digging in if it is still damp.

Gravity fed fuel so no primer pump. Auto choke too so just turn the tap on and pull to start. Doddle.

Size comparison, and a library image as I haven’t taken it anywhere scenic for magazine shots yet.

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Very snazzy mik. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

First new mower I’ve ever had Duncs, so obviously I have it booked in for a full geo and corner-weighting : can’t trust that Mountfield will have done this to a tolerance I will be happy with. It then goes in for a paint correction, and nano-tech PPF. Considering a remap.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Start twiddling the gubbernor. You want that puppy spinning fast enough to launch to orbit.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I didn’t strip my Briggs & Stratton engine down to check for myself, Mik, but the lawnmower guy said I’d bent the crank so I believed him.

I’ve been very happy with the Honda Izy I replaced it with, and it must be 13 years ago now so I can’t check!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm First new mower I’ve ever had Duncs, so obviously I have it booked in for a full geo and corner-weighting : can’t trust that Mountfield will have done this to a tolerance I will be happy with. It then goes in for a paint correction, and nano-tech PPF. Considering a remap.
Painting the wheels too?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 pm
mik wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm First new mower I’ve ever had Duncs, so obviously I have it booked in for a full geo and corner-weighting : can’t trust that Mountfield will have done this to a tolerance I will be happy with. It then goes in for a paint correction, and nano-tech PPF. Considering a remap.
Painting the wheels too?
Don’t be ridiculous