The Motorbikerist Thread

Barry

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Barry »

Smaller but not take the pith smaller, so plod hopefully won't be on your case.

I need to nip to Chester to collect the top case bits tmrw, might take my snorkel just to be safe, bloody rain..
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Barry wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:39 pm Smaller but not take the pith smaller, so plod hopefully won't be on your case.
That was the plan. Anecdotally, people don't seem to get bothered with this size plate.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I remember watching this 8-)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I remember watching this:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm
Barry wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:39 pm Smaller but not take the pith smaller, so plod hopefully won't be on your case.
That was the plan. Anecdotally, people don't seem to get bothered with this size plate.
Always had that size plate before. Never been pulled.

Some places will fail it if it doesn't have a registered plate manufacturers postcode on though, so I'm told
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Some places will fail it if it doesn't have a registered plate manufacturers postcode on though, so I'm told
Another 2 years until I have to worry about that.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm
evostick wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Another 2 years until I have to worry about that.
I forgot what it's like to have a new bike :lol:

Been happily riding mine around and I figured it must need testing soon so checked online. Ran out in April.

Got it tested yesterday and apart from a blunt discussion about the state of the rear tyre (it needs one but there's no canvas showing yet) and them inventing a 'light misting of oil on the fork stanchion' it was all fine.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You know how we’ve utterly failed to organise any kind of bike meet for the past few years? I decided to go to Betws-y-coed for lunch and Marv turned up. So the rest of you missed the meet, you daft cunts.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Marv lost the bet, you workshy doley.

I'll be in Wales this weekend, just so you know to be somewhere else.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Barry wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 pm Marv lost the bet, you workshy doley.

I'll be in Wales this weekend, just so you know to be somewhere else.
Planning on being in Cumbria and Yorkshire, so you're safe.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:27 pm You know how we’ve utterly failed to organise any kind of bike meet for the past few years? I decided to go to Betws-y-coed for lunch and Marv turned up. So the rest of you missed the meet, you daft cunts.
I'll try and arrive earlier to our next complete chance meet, so we can have lunch at the same time.

Can't believe everyone else missed the meet. Bet they didn't read the email we didn't send out. Cunts.
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Marv wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:27 pm You know how we’ve utterly failed to organise any kind of bike meet for the past few years? I decided to go to Betws-y-coed for lunch and Marv turned up. So the rest of you missed the meet, you daft cunts.
I'll try and arrive earlier to our next complete chance meet, so we can have lunch at the same time.

Can't believe everyone else missed the meet. Bet they didn't read the email we didn't send out. Cunts.
I knew I'd forgotten something!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Today me and a mate (and his eldest) went to Settle to meet up with the Lyndon Poskitt welcome home meet up. If you haven’t seen his stuff on YouTube, he set off to travel and race in various rallies, including the Paris Dakar. His intention was to spend 18 months away. This week he arrived home for the first time in over 5 years.

His main bike is a KTM 690 bored out to 720 that’s now done 210,000 kilometres, mostly racing, cost €45k to build and has consumed 12,000 litres of fuel. He has to carry shot loads of stuff on the bike to make running repairs etc. It’s a really trick thing up close and has things like spare clutch plates cable tied to the clocks etc. just to make best use of carrying capacity.

He was a top bloke spending time with loads of people, endless selfies and signing stuff, answering questions.

After Settle, we convoyed over to Squires, near Leeds which was absolutely rammed with bikes. It was fucking hot though, hitting 32 mid-afternoon. Even in my mesh jacket I was sweating my tits off.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

A few pics from my first trip in a motorbike - went to Wales for a week, it was great!

Menai bridge, Anglesey:

Coming into the Snowdonia national park:

Bike fell off its side stand into the crash barrier on the first take off that pic...tried to pull it off, seemed wedged...for a minute, I thought I was stuck in the middle of nowhere wth no mobile signal 😂 fortunately I slid myself between the bike and the barrier and pushed it off!

By the sea in Anglesey:

Holy Island lighthouse:

The pic I tried to take of Dave, leaving the carpark in Bala:

Did the Mick Extance off road day yesterday, probably the most fun I've had on two wheels so far. Started out on the 125, which was hilarious as you could take massive liberties and just chuck it around into anything. Not much of a challenge though, so they swapped me to a KTM freeride 250, which I immediately dropped down a tricky gradient 😆. Once I got used to the bike, it was great fun exploring what it could do and a proper challenge for me, as I could only flat foot one leg... So I dropped I one or two (or six) times.

They have a bunch of different courses for you to do throughout the day and they get harder, as the day progresses. Every time you move onto the next course, you start out thinking how the hell am I going to be able to do that... but then Mick and his team are great teachers (nice mixture of enthusiasm and support, with obligatory pisstakes when you do stupid) so you put in the practice and eventually get the satisfaction of doing it right!

Also managed to hike Mount Snowdon, which had some wonderful views from the Rangers path on the way up, but the summit was covered by cloud.

All in all, a top week. Only a few silly little self inflicted issues with the bike, all of which I got sorted one way or another.

Thinking of a trip to Ireland next year, maybe coming back via the IOM!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Did you get Lyndon to say "Malle Moto" in his soft northern accent?
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 pm Coming into the Snowdonia national park:

Awsome pic Marv. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 pm
The pic I tried to take of Dave, leaving the carpark in Bala:

Erm.... :?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

He captured my best side.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Was that Bwlch y Groes? I stumbled upon it last year on my way back from Anglesey. Really nice and scenic road but probably a bit too narrow and rough for the GT3.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Coaster1 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 am

Was that Bwlch y Groes? I stumbled upon it last year on my way back from Anglesey. Really nice and scenic road but probably a bit too narrow and rough for the GT3.
I believe so, yeah:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/srrZ8M5XzDcqrUDF6
Oui, je suis un motard.