The Motorbikerist Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

What was the reasoning there? How can a front-wheel lockup be better than it not happening?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm capable of releasing the brake lever to unlock it ;) The only time I see it being of benefit is if you hit some gravel but then thats more to do with you looking where you are going than anything else. Ktm had it - wasnt impressed at all.

Edit in some tests I read this morning non abs stops quicker.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Most people won't be as capable as releasing the brake lever though, at least not until they've painted themselves down the road.

I like having it because I'm a big pussy - all three bikes have it fitted.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 am Had an interesting convo when out about ABS on bikes being worse than not having them - what do you lot think?
ABS on a bike has saved me from at least one serous accident, therefore it's worth it.

EDIT: going round a very wet, off camber roundabout, guy pulled out without looking, the only thing I could do was grab a handful of brake to avoid being wiped out and I missed him by literal inches.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Of course if didn't have it would you have crashed? 👍
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm Of course if didn't have it would you have crashed? 👍
Leant over, in the rain, grabbing a handful? Definitely.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I knew broccers argument would be some variation on "you wouldn't need it if you were a better rider" :lol:.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Not really I always believed abs is crap on motorbikes. Happy to be wrong but for me when the front locks up you dont let go just ease off a touch then reapply - doing this in tests seems to show less distance required to stop.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Tests like these?

Or are you talking about the very non-scientific test MCN did 10 years ago where the riders were doing different speeds and braking at different levels rather than trying to recreate real world scenarios?

Granted, a racer on track probably will want to turn ABS off for better fine control at the limit, but ABS is almost certainly better for most of us mortals, most of the time.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Vid is very good at proving how not to break.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ah, you're at the point of simply defending your views regardless, rather than accepting fact. As you were...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lets say you are like me and only ride on decent dry roads then I believe on a sports bike I can stop better. Your vid shows braking when going around a corner, not a good idea. :). For learners and newer riders I am confident it is a life saver as they panic.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 pm Lets say you are like me and only ride on decent dry roads then I believe on a sports bike I can stop better. Your vid shows braking when going around a corner, not a good idea. :). For learners and newer riders I am confident it is a life saver as they panic.
Yes, in a straight line, in perfect conditions you probably don't need ABS. But that's not what it's for.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I want to buy a 17 gsxr when they drop to 10 and we will see if these electronics make for a better bike. The same as getting in an older, maybe slower, car without any nanny aids you feel more connected. Maybe I am getting old and these things baffle me but I get enjoyment from riding bikes - not some angel on my shoulder making me feel super human when actually I am not.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I can honestly say I feel no difference in brake performance between ABS and non-ABS right up to the moment the ABS kicks in. Having ABS doesn't change the way I ride i the slightest. I think you're giving it waaaaaay too much thought. Realistically, how often are you braking so hard you're at the point of locking your front wheel during the 16 miles a year you ride?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Was sat outside a pub in Buxton yesterday boiling to death with 2 of my mates. One has just passed his test and has a 600 with abs - he seems to think its better in all environments when it is not strictly true. For a newbie who didnt have bikes before when a kid he might rely on it too much rather than feel. A litre sportsbike slows rapidly when you sit up and let off the throttle if you are in the correct gear anyway which is another consideration.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

He's wrong and it's in his head. I bet he's never even felt it kick in.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Hopefully. Suns gone now replaced with rain - I was hoping to do 1000 miles this year ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I'm looking at the rain and trying to make sure I remember to zip up all my vents before I set off home.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm currently ripping out the ABS on all bikes to make the brakes better. Am I doing it right?