Shed thread

integrale_evo

Re: Shed thread

Post by integrale_evo »

It worked out that the space between the racking at the end and the side of the shed is perfect for a stack of bmw e36 spec 17s with a stack of bare 17in wheels next to it 😎

Now I have the basics organised the rest is starting to clear naturally as I can get to and see where to put ‘stuff’
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve spent several hours this afternoon trying to get a wire fishing line down the conduit the existing electrical supply runs down.

It’s about 20 meters but can’t get more than about 8 meters starting at the shed end, even less starting at the house end. I’m assuming it’s just catching under the cable and getting tangled rather than the conduit being collapsed or blocked.

I’d really like to run a second wire through, especially as I might end up running a supply for a summer house off the shed at some point, and would massively cut down the amount of digging I would have to do!

Any other ideas?

The only other thing I could do would be to use the existing cable to pull through the line or the line to then attach some cable to to pull back through.

I don’t have enough cable to do two fresh runs, and don’t want to get stuck and end up with no power up there!
Cheers, Harry
John

Post by John »

Tie the fishing line to a ferret.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I believe a well trained woodlouse would be a more appropriate size
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Carrier bag and a compressor? Seen draw cords run like that many a time and it always seems to work.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:26 pm I believe a well trained woodlouse would be a more appropriate size
I had to run a new cat5 cable to a gas compressor and used the old cat 5 as a sacrificial line. Just use the other wire, they are horrible things to do and cable is cheaper than all the energy you will burn by swearing.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:43 pm I’ve spent several hours this afternoon trying to get a wire fishing line down the conduit the existing electrical supply runs down.

It’s about 20 meters but can’t get more than about 8 meters starting at the shed end, even less starting at the house end. I’m assuming it’s just catching under the cable and getting tangled rather than the conduit being collapsed or blocked.

I’d really like to run a second wire through, especially as I might end up running a supply for a summer house off the shed at some point, and would massively cut down the amount of digging I would have to do!

Any other ideas?

The only other thing I could do would be to use the existing cable to pull through the line or the line to then attach some cable to to pull back through.

I don’t have enough cable to do two fresh runs, and don’t want to get stuck and end up with no power up there!
Buy a set of actual cable rods?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Didn’t think the rod style would be flexible enough to get round the 90 degree bends at the ends, so got one of the nylon ones with the springy end hoping it would find its way down as there only a single bit of twin and earth running through.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like the compressor/bag idea, but otherwise - using the old cable is about the only chance you have - just make sure the new cables are attached SECURELY!!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, I think it’s the best option. Also need to make sure the cable I have is long enough before I start.

Would be nice to get a bit of cat5 down it too but that might be a bit too much.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cat 5 you can just make a tiny slit a few inches deep in the ground and stick it in there.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Second reel of power cable bought, and a 100m reel of cat6 and a terminal kit.

Next step will be to disconnect the ends of the existing cable and give it a pull to make sure it moves and the existing conduit isn’t blocked or collapsed. Maybe should have done that before buying more cable...

The mrs found some photos from shortly after they moved in and there’s so much rubble and hardcore under the drive it would be a monumental effort to dig a new channel.

If I can get it to the shed it’s then a piece of cake to run it out the other end and up the garden at a later date
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Finally put some time into this, we pretty much stopped work as lockdown ended.
Roofing done, tedious trim done, cladding all done - just needs a gutter and it would be nice to cover the osb under the front overhang at some point. The waney edge cladding stops halfway as there’s pigeon Sputniks going on those 2 walls.

Thought it would be cool to rig some lines and see if we can get grapes hanging over the underhangs - saw people doing it in Italy.

Needs some doors now. Might see if I can paint the floor tomorrow.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Floor all done, cheapest available paint was “frigate grey” and it looks pretty nice. Will have to see how it holds up but for £37 and an hours job I can’t complain.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks alright, how did you prep the surface?
mik

Post by mik »

How big is that then? Inside dimensions look similar to what I fancy - was thinking around 4x6m?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

PVA diluted with water in a 1:4 ratio roughly to prep. Only put one coat of paint down as I’m hoping the PVA acts as a primer - Screwfix only had one tin of paint anyway and can’t order more in.

Internal dimensions are 5x8m
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 pm PVA diluted with water in a 1:4 ratio roughly to prep. Only put one coat of paint down as I’m hoping the PVA acts as a primer - Screwfix only had one tin of paint anyway and can’t order more in.

Internal dimensions are 5x8m
Was it dusty or pretty clean before hand? I'll be interested to see how it holds up.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Really dusty, the PVA actually did a good job of sealing the floor as it gave off no more dust after that. The only bad thing with it is that it never seemed to fully cure so wet tyres or shoes would stick/feel tacky walking on it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

What's that? The PVA or the paint? Surely the PVA staying tacky is no bad thing in terms of the paint sticking? :)

Hopefully it works, I might just copy you if it does!