Shed thread

Mito Man

Re: Shed thread

Post by Mito Man »

Yes the PVA kept being reactivated by moisture so it kept getting tacky, was originally hoping we could just PVA it and not bother with painting otherwise I would have painted it straight away and saved myself clearing everything out twice over.
The garage floor paint hasn’t fully cured either, says 7 days on the tin but no chance of leaving everything out for a week...
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

You painted floor on Monday,
Started to dry out on Tuesday,
Continued hardening on Wednesday,
And on Thursday, Friday and Saturday,
It cured on Sunday
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Had time this weekend to put some doors on. Milled a larch tree for it which has very nice wood and is very efficient as they seem to not taper much so almost all of the tree is useable.
It’s all done now bar some hardware for the doors. Had a fair few storms and very heavy rain with no leaks.

Garage floor paint came off in a few spots where tyres contacted it - presume it’s because it hadn’t cured properly for 7 days as it hasn’t happened since.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We might have to get rid of a fairly large oak tree. How would I go about getting it cut into planks?

I’m not about to buy a sawmill for one tree, but it would be nice to save and make use of some of it in the build of the barn if possible.

Are there people with mobile ones who’ll come and chop it up?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There are mobile sawmills, you just need to be lucky with having a local one. Try the usual eBay or Facebook milling groups.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just remembered something cool I noticed walking to Borough Market a few weeks ago.
The Golden Hinde was having some refurbishment work done
I found it surprising that they were milling oak logs right on site in central London
Same machine too 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:21 pm We might have to get rid of a fairly large oak tree. How would I go about getting it cut into planks?

I’m not about to buy a sawmill for one tree, but it would be nice to save and make use of some of it in the build of the barn if possible.

Are there people with mobile ones who’ll come and chop it up?
Doesn't it need to be aged, dried, before you cut it ? Otherwise it warps all over the place ?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Can’t say specifically about Oak but in general, no. Mill as green as possible..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Generally all the oak framed stuff in the U.K. is erected green. Pre-1960s kiln dried timber was very rare indeed.
You just need to take a few extra precautions, be aware which way the wood will cup and how much it shrinks to build around it.
It’s nicer to work with, softer, no splinters, doesn’t split when nailed. Bloody heavy though.