Beany’s new hat thread

nuttinnew

Re: Beany’s new hat thread

Post by nuttinnew »

Beaniroquai.
Beany

Post by Beany »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 amBeaniroquai.
Except I'm not virtually insane.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hey, got my new hat. I'm not sure it fits.

It's far better at scaring the crap out of work colleagues when you get it on cam in second on the slip road, so I think I'll use it as a car instead.
Attachments
NewHat.jpg
NewHat.jpg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You might need to be a little more clear here 😂
Beany

Post by Beany »

Suppose this is a bit more obvious.

Doesn't pop and crackle enough on the overrun. I'll have to do something about that, possibly involving the resonators and a hacksaw.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Well done. On the scale of 1 to seriously, how impressive is it?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm Suppose this is a bit more obvious.

Doesn't pop and crackle enough on the overrun. I'll have to do something about that, possibly involving the resonators and a hacksaw.
awful photo as standard.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Only had a brief play to the local supermarket/petrol station, so I'll go with 'really rather'.

It rides surprisingly well over speed bumps and potholes without rolling around, and it feels well balanced on the wee sliproads, u-turns and thing around there.

Makes a lovely noise on cam.

I'll take it out for a proper run around tonight, I expect, and a run over to Scarbs this weekend where I know better roads.

Rich - is the hat photo not good enough? Fucking hell, you people....
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wait you actually bought it?

Did you kill the dealer? Sell some coke?
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 pm Wait you actually bought it?

Did you kill the dealer? Sell some coke?
Sold him some coke with broken glass in it.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany

Post by Beany »

Well, I've already stalled it.

In traffic.

With the roof down.

Yes, I looked a right prick!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:32 pm Well, I've already stalled it.

In traffic.

With the roof down.

And, I looked a right prick!
FTFY.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Turbo diesels get you into bad habits, that's for sure.
240PP

Post by 240PP »

What’s the car history then? Micra, Puma, Mondeo, Beemer?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yup, exactly that.

Just been for a mini shakedown around some of the faster/NSL parts of town. Some roof down, some roof up, all with lots of WOT, and a quick jet wash in there too.

This thing is just hilarious.

I think it definitely needs more of a throat to it though, the OEM exhaust is very civilised. Just sounds like a 'whoosh' even with the roof down...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Just collected the Mondeo from the office after bombing aorund in the 330, and then went for a bomb in the 330 again.

I'm pretty sure the 330 isn't much faster once you're above 30mph, but the traction from below there is significantly better (obviously - weight transfer, natch).

The steering is far better - the wheel is heavier, but there's definitely more feel.

Strangely, the ride is better - it filters out imperfections with more fluidity and is no worse over general urban toot like speed bumps and potholes.

It definitely feels more solid and weighty (despite being lighter than the mondeo) but that's down to the heavier clutch, steering, and brakes that need to be pressed like you mean it.

I'm positive the clutch delay valve is still in there - it makes fast shifts an absolute bugger as the clutch sluuurs back in, if you rush the box it fucking slips on upshifts. So that'll definitely be going.

Otherwise, I'm now more used to using more throttle to pull away. Although I did light up the front tyres in the works car park on the Mondeo because I dialled in 2000rpm and let the clutch out sharply like you do in the 330.

Pay attention Steven, eh?

Oh, and it definitely needs a more vocal exhaust and induction. Induction can wait (and I know, cone filters kill power, etc), but I'm off to peruse Youtube to see what sounds better, resonator delete or silencer delete...
240PP

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 pm Just collected the Mondeo from the office after bombing aorund in the 330, and then went for a bomb in the 330 again.

I'm pretty sure the 330 isn't much faster once you're above 30mph, but the traction from below there is significantly better (obviously - weight transfer, natch).
Your arse dyno might need recalibration. Didn’t these have 230bhp vs the Mondeo’s 140?

Different power delivery no doubt, but the 330 should be comfortably quicker everywhere.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think it's the torque and the way it's delivered. In the BMW if you give it beans from 2000rpm it pulls at decent rate, then once it gets through 4000rpm it starts to fly.

The Mondeo has 250lb/ft when it comes on boost, and it's a variable geo turbo so it comes on boost fast and maintains it well - but not for long. I've got used to stirring the box though, and it's an easy box to navigate - very clean, and can take rushed upshifts without a problem.

That said, kick the BMW in the guts in first, change up at the limiter in each gear and I'm pretty sure by the time you'd got past to around 60 the Mondeo would be disappearing the rear view mirror.

I've got the ability to take wheel speed sensor readings from the Mondeo so if I was *really* bored I could properly map the performance to a fairly accurate level, but frankly, it's not that important.

Just interesting having two cars with fairly similar levels of torque, but completely different ways of delivering it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Didn't you have your Titex mapped?
The artist formerly known as _Who_