Decent Recent TV

Simon_P

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Simon_P »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 am We love Race Across The World but with The Reckoning and MAFS are a bit behind. I thought the Canada one was one of the best series though all have been great. Willing Billy and Bonnie to win this one.
FFS! Five minutes in I wanted to switch it off…
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Beckham documentary. I don’t have any interest in football at all however enjoyed this. Yes it’s a lot of Beckham love however being younger at the time I had forgotten all the hate thrown his way when he was sent off.

Dark Winds - this is excellent and a nice short series. Series two is now airing.

Hate cooking, however love master chef the professionals. Just eighteen episodes to go…
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:48 am
mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:38 am A bit late to the party once again - I have now finished S1 & S2 of Top Boy Summerhouse, and re-started "S1" of Top Boy. (Having watched the first couple of episodes without appreciating the context). Gritty.
theyve rebranded the first seasons as summerhouse haven't they - for Netflix? The first 2 series were incredible - some of the best tv ever imo.
Correct - a fuckaround that I missed. Luckily @John alerted me to that silliness before I got too far into Season1(actually Season3). :roll:
Finally finished S5 last night. It wasn't perfect, but I thoroughly enjoyed that. Lots of gritty tension throughout. 9 out of 10 pees, innit. Love.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Just catching up with SAS Who Dares wins, the celeb edition. It was funny seeing Matt Hancock getting a dressing down at the end of episode 5 :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Kid stays in the Picture

Documentary about Robert Evans, head of Paramount Pictures in the 60’s and 70’s. It’s on Sky Documentaries and presumably of the back of The Offer as it’s from 2002

It’s really interesting, very well made and different from a lot of these sorts of documentaries. It isn’t the normal series of interviews with people he was associated with - it’s Bob Evans in his own words and all the better for it

Very good documentary
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Brawn GP - The Impossible Formula One Story.

Really enjoyed it, by, Luca De Montezemolo is still very bitter isn't he?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The new series of Shetland is going well so far - I thought Alison O'Donald could hold it on her own after Dougie Henshall left and so far, that seems to be true. Ashley Jensen's a good addition for this series.

The lad who plays Sandy is still, the worst actor on Television - bless 'em.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Been watching Stargate SG-1 for the last wee while. The start is bad imo, but it gets much better as it get's weirder.

Been catching up on Anime too. Watched the end of Attack on Titan (the politics are bad but it's a good show), the end of Mob Psycho 100 (very good) and Chainsaw Man (also very good).
An absolute unit
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:38 am Brawn GP - The Impossible Formula One Story.

Really enjoyed it, by, Luca De Montezemolo is still very bitter isn't he?
It's fabulous - Keanu does a great job of seeming innocuous and gets great responses from everyone, I especially liked the way the original Brawn team members just light up when they talk about it and they're still at Mercedes having worked up the promotion treadmill, clearly Brawn and Fry knew who to keep and who to cut (if they hadn't already jumped - like the Fuel Rig guy whom they needed to get back for race weekends only :lol: )

Watched first 2 episodes last night and will finish remaining 2 episodes tonight - De Montezemelo is still properly pissed off about the whole affair, he absolutely cannot hide it even 13/14 years later........ which is ironic given it was played out publicly and wasn't just Brawn GP but Williams and Toyota had seen the loophole also - but the Ferrari engine-gate saga was behind closed doors (anyone have a definitive smoking gun link for that btw - I'd like to know what exactly they did).

Also, the BGP001 is still a great looking F1 car and I'll get some screengrabs of it for wallpapers for my various computers
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:00 pm Been watching Stargate SG-1 for the last wee while. The start is bad imo, but it gets much better as it get's weirder.

Been catching up on Anime too. Watched the end of Attack on Titan (the politics are bad but it's a good show), the end of Mob Psycho 100 (very good) and Chainsaw Man (also very good).
Any must watch anime recommendations? Watched the pacific rim series on Netflix and really enjoyed it, followed it up with an Ancient Greek god type one that I can’t remember the name of but don’t know what’s good or not
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

jamcg wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:28 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:00 pm Been watching Stargate SG-1 for the last wee while. The start is bad imo, but it gets much better as it get's weirder.

Any must watch anime recommendations? Watched the pacific rim series on Netflix and really enjoyed it, followed it up with an Ancient Greek god type one that I can’t remember the name of but don’t know what’s good or not
Depends what you're looking for tbh.

There are a few classics on Netflix worth watching

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop

If you want to find more there's a channel on Prime called Crunchyroll (it's also an app on most things but not my tv annoyingly). You'll get a free trial, start with Initial D (a must for real car guys :lol:)

Some of my other favourites from there

Berserk (incredibly dark fantasy, hyper violent)
Attack on Titan (alt history fantasy)
Knights of Sidonia (Mechs, Sci Fi)
Assassination Classroom (comedy)
Mob Psycho 100 (hard to pin down but it's very good)
1 Punch Man (action comedy)
Chainsaw man (action comedy)
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Cheers
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:33 am
If you want to find more there's a channel on Prime called Crunchyroll (it's also an app on most things but not my tv annoyingly). You'll get a free trial, start with Initial D (a must for real car guys :lol:)
I just read that post, navigated from that page to YouTube, and immediately got an ad for Crunchyroll. :shock:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You can never escape the algorithm :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I see For All Mankind is back, the first few seasons of that show were brilliant. Must do a rewatch over the winter ahead of this one.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Squid Game - The Challenge (Netflix)

What a fabulous idea 😎

Oh fuck, it’s massively ‘Mercunised ☹️

Will stick with it and see where it goes….
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Been watching Lazarus Project

It's alright, I go between thinking it's really good and very bad. I think it's because it feels like Dark filtered through a lens of Marvel movies and Dr Who. So it's clever but there's a layer of mainstream sci-fi goofiness to get through.
An absolute unit
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:08 am Been watching Lazarus Project

It's alright, I go between thinking it's really good and very bad. I think it's because it feels like Dark filtered through a lens of Marvel movies and Dr Who. So it's clever but there's a layer of mainstream sci-fi goofiness to get through.
Just watching this - very much enjoying it. The London locations, UK accents and sense of humour greatly help ;)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:56 pm Squid Game - The Challenge (Netflix)

What a fabulous idea 😎

Oh fuck, it’s massively ‘Mercunised ☹️

Will stick with it and see where it goes….
Completed 6 episodes (3 remaining). My opinion hasn't changed significantly - some clever moves by the programme makers, but their attempts to share contestant back-stories in order that you love/hate them don't really work.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Greg LeMond - the last Rider

On Sky Documentaries - really insightful with contributions from Pedro Delgado and others. I knew Fignon was a bit of a prick but I didn’t realise how much of a prick he was.

8 gunshot pellets still inside him after his accident when he won the tour in 1989 out of 10