Decent Recent TV

jamcg

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by jamcg »

RobYob wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:20 pm Binged Drive to Survive in the last day and a bit. I'm not the keenest follower of F1 so I quite enjoyed the dramatised and easy to digest retelling of last year's season.

Watching the slow mo replays of Grojean's accident it was stunning to see the Dr. Ian Roberts run at the flames (in an open helmet!) and his body recoil at the heat, then he presses back in to help Roman over the wall.
The bit where you can see him moving about inside the cockpit whilst on fire on the slow mo is horrendous, even though you know he gets out fine and has miraculously minor injuries it’s still so scary to watch. The sound of screaming from onlookers was missing from the live broadcast but picked up on the Netflix cameras. Must have been awful to see happening in front of you. Got to feel for his wife, stuck at home watching the tv to find out if her husband is alive, doesn’t bear thinking about
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

The Falcon and Winter Soldier is good so far. I liked their "married couple" vibe that bubbled in Civil War and it has popped up in the series now too.

SLIGHT SDOILER FOR EPISODE 2

I was interested to see the white cops accost them during an argument and very much go for the "Is this black man bothering you" to the decorated veteran v the white ex assassin.
tim

Post by tim »

The thing that has annoyed me about Drive to Survive is the obviously piped in sound effects. But otherwise it's been very good. I watched the Ferrari episode from S3 last night... spicy! They sound like an awful team to work for.

Charles must be up to his neck in Italian fanny though :)
mik

Post by mik »

Ratched

Designed as a prequel to the story of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over A Cuckoos Nest.
Spoiler
Very strong opening 10mins in E1 is never really matched again, despite many scenes with Hitchcock inspired soundtracks a “turn up the gruesome” approach. A few questionable plot twists.
Awesome cars throughout (and swishy immaculate and elegant 50’s ladies dresses n coats n shizzle).

6.5 chiefs brushing the floor out of 10 for me.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I quite liked Ratched, even though I questioned the need for it as a fan of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Agree with your spoiler, you can definitely tell it was made by the same people who make American Horror Story.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

New Series of Unforgotten ends tonight.

Based on last weeks cliff-hanger, not sure what the hell's going to happen now
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:05 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:55 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:58 am Am loving The Terror but I’m watching a 720p webrip with pretty quiet/indistinguishable audio (as is often the issue). This show aired once on Sky (I think), but you can’t buy it on any streaming platform and the only blu rays I’ve found are region locked US ones.

How is that still a thing in this day and age where the only practical option to watch/own something is to pirate it?
I read your description and thought it sounded good, then watched a trailer and was keen to watch it... disappointing to find it's not available. You can buy it on Amazon actually, but fuck that. :(
I’m currently getting hold of a 1080p version....
Caught up with this last week on BBC iPlayer, the Mrs is a horror fan, me less so. I spoiled it for myself fairly thoroughly by reading both the wiki of the actual lost expedition (fascinating and still being investigated) and that of the horror retelling by Dan Simmons (I remember his Sci-Fi novel Hyperion being very good). I really enjoyed the first six episodes of world building and tense interactions with the locals. The final four episodes where everything goes bad overstayed its welcome, but maybe that's because I knew what was going to happen.

At a loose end of short run time comedy's we tried The League of Gentlemen, quite a few laughs but so very very wrong, not sure we'll continue to episode 2. We really liked Inside #9 from the same guys and you can see where some the macabre story telling of #9 originated.

Then went full nostagia by queuing up Seinfeld through Prime. I have only the vaguest memories of watching this at Uni. Turns out it's still pretty funny, possibly more than ever. :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Something which passed me by was a new episode of car sos aired earlier this month. Was originally supposed to be out last year but got delayed with covid and everything. The car is a metro 6r4 and turns out pretty special

Spoiler
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've now seen 13 series of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I'm still not sure if I actually enjoy it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Matty wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:25 pm I've now seen 13 series of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I'm still not sure if I actually enjoy it.
ive now watched up to the series that Danny Devito becomes a proper cast member 3 times and just can't be bothered going any further.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Good to see there's lots of spoilers for the finale of Unforgotten all over social media and even news websites.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It was a brilliant ending

Nicola Walker’s an awesome actor and there was a little something in my eye there at the end... :oops: :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Started watching the new Line of Duty and noticed an annoying continuity mistake right at the start.

Convoy of cars led by a G31 5 series with a black grille and an E61.

Shot changes to the convoy pulling up and it’s two G31s with chrome grilles.

Stuff that car nerds spot :lol:
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:08 pm Started watching the new Line of Duty and noticed an annoying continuity mistake right at the start.

Yeah, even the papers pulled up on that one :lol: Albeit labelled those that spotted it as saddo car nerds...

If you like Line of Duty, there's a new 3-part documentary starts tonight at 9pm on BBC2 about Bent Coppers. Anyone aware of Derek Smith on PH - he wrote a book on the corruption he witnessed in the force in the 70s/80s and took part in this documentary - I think he said he's briefly in the 3rd episode. Was originally meant for Ch5, then Ch4 and BBC must have eventually bought it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah cool, I’ll keep an eye out for it on iPlayer.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

RobYob wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:37 am
Then went full nostagia by queuing up Seinfeld through Prime. I have only the vaguest memories of watching this at Uni. Turns out it's still pretty funny, possibly more than ever. :lol:
This just popped up on All 4, all episode's as well.

I can't recall ever seeing an episode so looking forward to a binge of that 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Watched the couple of episodes that are up for this - scary stuff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... ised-crime
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:08 pm Started watching the new Line of Duty and noticed an annoying continuity mistake right at the start.

car continuity errors drive me nuts, and badly chosen cars for characters that the character would clearly never own.

Then there's when they can't afford to trash an expensive car, so they just use a 15 year old BMW/Merc because it looks posh. I was watching "Inheritance" (shit) the other day, it had a multimillionaire main character get in his e65 7 series, as soon as he got in it was clear it was going to be crashed.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You can never tell with rich folk though. There's always stories like how Warren Buffett drives a 6 year old mid sized Cadillac.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Damn, I thought he still had his old Volvo.
How about not having a sig at all?