Decent Recent TV

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by 240PP »

Decided to give Sunny in Philadelphia a go. Three episodes in and all good. I quite like the fact they’re just over twenty minutes an episode. Means you can slot in a quick episode here and there or watch an hours worth if you like.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 am Enjoyed the end of S1 of Umbrella Academy after a brief 'meh' half way through.
Next on the list - Russian Doll
Loved Russian Doll, it’s up there with my favourite ever shows.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

240PP wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 pm Decided to give Sunny in Philadelphia a go. Three episodes in and all good. I quite like the fact they’re just over twenty minutes an episode. Means you can slot in a quick episode here and there or watch an hours worth if you like.
make sure you post your opinion on series 3 onwards!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Planets

God he's landed on his feet, ole Dr cox hasn't he... :lol:

Fly all over the world at BBC levels of comfort, see some of the most amazing sights of the natural world and just say a few lines about the planets. Job done...

I love the subject matter so I'll always happily watch this sort of thing (and the graphics are pretty cool) but I thought this series was a little thin on content and seemed to be stretching the material. (E.g The same point about how Mars lost it's atmosphere was covered twice in two different segments in the same episode)

The basic concept behind the series (as I see it) - how extremely unlikely it is that the Earth developed into a planet that could sustain life - let alone how unlikely that live then developed - could have been covered in a single 90 minute episode.

I wish the main show was 25 minutes shorter and the little behind the scenes at the end was 25 minutes longer...

6 staring wistfully into the distances next to a waterfall out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Year of the Rabbit is an enjoyable watch. It’s a comedy set in Victorian England with Police brutality and quick sarcastic remarks plus the Elephant man. 7 bloody truncheons out of ten.
Cheers,

Ian
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

It is good but can be a bit repetitive as you say. In terms of lack of content I think it's down to fact that they are guessing or essentially making stuff up a loy of the time! He does say "we think" or cf we don't know" a fair bit. Still watchable and he does present well. I'll enjoy watching him on the next series of Top Gear...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 am Year of the Rabbit is an enjoyable watch. It’s a comedy set in Victorian England with Police brutality and quick sarcastic remarks plus the Elephant man. 7 bloody truncheons out of ten.
I like most things that Matt Berry is in, and this is no exception.

As well as What We Do In The Shadows - bonkers episode last week with Tilda Swinton and Danny Trejo in it :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:59 pm
JonMad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 am Enjoyed the end of S1 of Umbrella Academy after a brief 'meh' half way through.
Next on the list - Russian Doll
Loved Russian Doll, it’s up there with my favourite ever shows.
And it ended very well. I see there's a second season planned as well.
Left over crest; tightens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, apparently it’s planned for 3 seasons. Don’t know what they’ll do as the first one ended pretty neatly.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We're totally addicted Parks & Recreation (Amazon) - we've been chewing through it and loving it

Looking forward to the new series of Dark, and Stranger Things.

WWDITS is OK (I loved the film version), I guess when it's stretched out into a series it looses and gains in different ways (the cameos from the original cast was a nice touch)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The final scene of the latest episode had me in fits of laughter / tears, as the guy is riding away on his bike. Absolutely hilarious 😂
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What We Do In The Shadows really was brilliant in places even though its a wee bit hit and miss overall. The lineup of vampires at the trial was brilliant though.

Enjoying the newest series of Bosch and really need to finish Parks & Recreation as that was a casualty of Its Always Sunny.

I see a second series of Dark has just landed on Netflix too. Which is just as well as this summer is never going to arrive at this rate.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

American Gods series two is amazing and outshines series one by some margin in my opinion. Definitely worth watching.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Having seen it mentioned on this thread several times - finally watched S1E1 of Killing Eve on Friday night. :oops:

Watched S1E6 last night.

Superb dark humour. 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Probably a good reminder for everyone to watch Fleabag then - Phoebe Waller-Bridge FTMFW.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Chernobyl isn’t very cheery, is it? Excellent TV.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh I thought it would be a comedy :lol:

Still not sure if I want to watch this or not.
mik

Post by mik »

You do. It’s fantastc:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:32 am Oh I thought it would be a comedy :lol:

Still not sure if I want to watch this or not.
You do. Try not to think about what could have happened had they not realised the tanks under the reactor were full of water.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Tbh it's more the thought of watching the wildlife etc die out. Laugh if you like but that sort of thing really gets to me.

On the flipside, the thought of seeing Russians die before my eyes is delightful, so I guess that would balance it out.