Decent Recent TV

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've been holding off from watching Mando and The Boys (that sounds like some utterly bizarre mashup) until Christmas. I figure there's usually f*** all on and given we'll be at home more this time it's worth holding something back.

We've been watching The Valhalla Murders on BBC4 on saturday nights. S'alright - the usual Nordic Noir stuff. But the cinematography of the landscapes has been fecking superb 8-) And the Beeb have been repeating some interesting programmes immediately after. Julia Bradbury walking a trail to as close to Eyjafjallajökull as permitted, and the last 2 weeks it's been Operation Iceberg investigating icebergs with Chris Van Tulleken, Chris Packham, and a few other faces.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:25 pm It’s not on anything I can stream, but that’s a good shout. Watched Farscape again not long ago. Still weird but good, never realised that Zhaan was played by the woman who played the refinery warrior woman in Mad Max 2.
I was always more interested in Gigi Edgley.

You don't need to ask why.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Anyone else watched Raised by Wolves??

I've just finished it and am really not sure WTF has gone one. Very strange!!
Beany

Post by Beany »

McSwede wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:23 pm Anyone else watched Raised by Wolves??

It does require a bit of patience, that series - I think the story changes direction about three times over the course of the series :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:28 pm

It does require a bit of patience, that series - I think the story changes direction about three times over the course of the last episode :lol:
FTFY :) the weirdness density just became way to high for me. I did enjoy 90% of it though. The two leads playing the droids did a great job I thought.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:19 am
Beany wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:28 pm

It does require a bit of patience, that series - I think the story changes direction about three times over the course of the last episode :lol:
FTFY :) the weirdness density just became way to high for me. I did enjoy 90% of it though. The two leads playing the droids did a great job I thought.
Rob, you've summed it up beautifully right there.

There was a lot to like early on and I had high hopes. Not sure what they we smoking as they wrote the latter episodes though.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Raised by Wolves final 15minutes
Spoiler
Yes lets have mother droid unexpectedly gestate a baby. But the baby is a snake. And the Snake can fly! And is psychic!! Out of her mouth!!! AND THEN they fly into the centre of the world with LAVA!!!! BUT THEY DON'T DIE!!!!!

Which is a bit sad because the whole previous colonists and devolving people and the giant snake skeletons was plenty interesting/weird enough already.

Oh and the talking rock.

Yeah maybe they should've stopped at the talking rock. :oops:

I'd edited this comment twice now because I keep remembering the even weirder stuff.
Five days until The Expanse S5, I've failed to rewatch any of the previous seasons so far, maybe next year.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Re spoiler tags - I don't disagree. There was set up for chunks of it, but upon reflection a little more hand holding would have helped :D
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Been watching The Boys - I love it to the point that I am even starting to look past Karl Urban’s dreadful cockney/kiwi accent.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:35 pm Been watching The Boys - I love it to the point that I am even starting to look past Karl Urban’s dreadful cockney/kiwi accent.
Watching S2E6 right now. It is awesome. So dark.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:35 pm Been watching The Boys - I love it to the point that I am even starting to look past Karl Urban’s dreadful cockney/kiwi accent.
It's kinda awesome and terrible, but he tries his best, the poor lad <3
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 pm
Watching S2E6 right now. It is awesome. So dark.
I'm still working my way through season 1 and am very happy.

Mandalorian is another regular watch - the last few episodes have been better than the last few Star Wars films. I'm pretty excited about the news series Disney has announced too.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm not sure what it adds apart from comedy value for the wrong reason. I don't think his character would have suffered at all with a NZ accent.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

unzippy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:43 am
Beany wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm not sure what it adds apart from comedy value for the wrong reason. I don't think his character would have suffered at all with a NZ accent.
Hush now and eat your fush and chups
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I’m amazed the internet didn’t totally break after the Mandalorian finale.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

It might be too late, but if you’re watching The Mandalorian weekly, stay away from Twitter. I was offline this morning, but the amount of spoilers on there is insane.

And watch the episode until the very, very end.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 pm It might be too late, but if you’re watching The Mandalorian weekly, stay away from Twitter. I was offline this morning, but the amount of spoilers on there is insane.

And watch the episode until the very, very end.
Was just going to post that there’s a bit after the credits 😂
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I got the bit after the credits spoiled in a roundabout way by my news feed on the phone, but hey ho.

Good finale, although how they move on from that interests me. Proper hard cut ending plot wise, which is a bit brave but also lets them think about how to recombobulate the story when they get around to it I suppose, rather than trying to set it up a year in advance, so....yeah, that's fine. If they turned around and said 'actually, series three is a no go, that's yer lot', I'd be pretty pleased with that.

Still, as I've said before, if you've avoided Mandalorian till now, don't think of it as Star Wars - think of it more as a 'villiian of the week western serial in space' that happens to have a bit more of a background arc. It's genuinely a good little series, doesn't take it self too seriously, isn't full of gopping fanservice, etc. It's closer to Firefly in some respects than it is Star Wars, but the mix is done well.

Just a good bit of fun with a decent story and good cast.

Solid 7/10 series for me, which means I'd recommend with only slight reservations (IE people who spit on Star Wars won't be tempted) to anyone who asked my opinion.

Honestly, rather than pissing billions on tentpole movies, this is what they should be doing with the expanded universe stuff - let it breathe a bit and take it for what it is.

Now, when the fuck do we get a Kyle Katarn cameo?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm think of it more as a 'villiian of the week western serial in space' that happens to have a bit more of a background arc.
I'm still waiting to see any meaningful background arc - it's basically the A-Team/knightrider in space so far (I grew up in the 80s not the 70s so was never bothered about westerns).

a lot must happen in this last episode!
Beany

Post by Beany »

You have noticed the fact that there's a baby fucking Yoda in there, yeah? That's the background arc.

I think we've established that RichB is not to be trusted on telly.