Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

Star Trek: Voyager

Very mid. Started off better than other series, but it really was just not that interesting for most of it, to the extent where I tuned out of most of S4/5/6 as it just wasn't engaging.

Some interesting/fun stuff in there, mostly involving the Doctor, and Seven of Nine, particularly if it was both of them in an episodes main plot (the actors clearly work well with each other) but Neelix is an aggravating little cunt who should never have had any screentime. I think this image covers it best:
VoyagerForReal.jpeg
VoyagerForReal.jpeg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 38765 times
For all the hype Voyager gets, it's a five out of ten for me.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm enjoying The Reckoning about Jimmy Savile. Coogan plays him really well. As soon as I heard the voice it sounded familiar; of course, Coogan voiced the Savile puppet on Spitting Image.

Still not sure it's quite right to show it, but it does seem to give the BBC an excuse to use old footage of actual Savile which they would never otherwise get to air...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sounds like top notch light entertainment :?

I've started watching Fringe, which I hear is quite underrated. A few episodes in and it's quite fun in a sort of 'darker and more esoteric NCIS' sort of way.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Savile is not particularly light entertainment, but I did think about putting my Jim'll Fix It badge on to watch it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We're watching Battlestar Galactica at the moment which I thought we'd watched before but apparently haven't.

It's a bit up and down, there's a lot of good but the post 9/11 military brutality that all TV had can get a bit much. Just got through a bit where folk were using sexual assault as an interrogation/torture technique. It was a bit much in a silly space show.

I loved Fringe first time I watched but couldn't be bothered when I tried to watch it again.
An absolute unit
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:13 am Savile is not particularly light entertainment, but I did think about putting my Jim'll Fix It badge on to watch it.
What did Jim fix for you?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:51 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:13 am Savile is not particularly light entertainment, but I did think about putting my Jim'll Fix It badge on to watch it.
What did Jim fix for you?
He fixed it for me to get an original Jim'll Fix It badge cheaply off eBay. Wonder what happened to the child who received it originally?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lets not overthink that particular question....
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am I'm enjoying The Reckoning about Jimmy Savile. Coogan plays him really well. As soon as I heard the voice it sounded familiar; of course, Coogan voiced the Savile puppet on Spitting Image.

Still not sure it's quite right to show it, but it does seem to give the BBC an excuse to use old footage of actual Savile which they would never otherwise get to air...
Is the series an opportunity for the BBC to do a bit of positive spin and PR around why they did nothing about him for decades even though it seemed to be an open secret he was a kiddy fiddler?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:47 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am I'm enjoying The Reckoning about Jimmy Savile. Coogan plays him really well. As soon as I heard the voice it sounded familiar; of course, Coogan voiced the Savile puppet on Spitting Image.

Is the series an opportunity for the BBC to do a bit of positive spin and PR around why they did nothing about him for decades even though it seemed to be an open secret he was a kiddy fiddler?
This is what the Catholic Church did with The Vicar Of Dibley.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Vicars aren’t catholic 😉
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

We're working our way through Hannibal at the moment. Old 'un I know but somehow we missed it previously. Pretty decent though.

@ZedLeg I was a huge fan of Fringe, but I can imagine it wouldn't work to watch again. Given how much content we get nowadays I really feel like good sci-fi is hard to come by.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:16 am We're watching Battlestar Galactica at the moment which I thought we'd watched before but apparently haven't.
Abiding memory of BSG is how epic the start was, how good the middle was, and how meh the end was.

Binging The Rookie which was fluffy Nathan Fillion reunion entertainment until we got to the serial killer episodes and it went full high octane nightmare fuel.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:18 pm Vicars aren’t catholic 😉
Look, the joke just presented itself, it may need some refinement 😂

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I wouldn’t say it’s a massively positive spin, having now watched it all the way through. I’m glad I watched it - weird though he was I still had a soft spot for Savile despite the revelations which came out after he died. Probably because they were after his death and therefore separated in time and not raked over in court and reported in detail by the press. This has linked him to the abuse far more in my mind. Glad I never did write to Jim’ll Fix It.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:14 pm We're working our way through Hannibal at the moment. Old 'un I know but somehow we missed it previously. Pretty decent though.

@ZedLeg I was a huge fan of Fringe, but I can imagine it wouldn't work to watch again. Given how much content we get nowadays I really feel like good sci-fi is hard to come by.
Yeah, I had hoped it would be like the X-Files which I find endlessly watchable.

We really liked Hannibal up until it actually starts covering the Hannibal book. The way they did the stuff in Florence really bugged me.
An absolute unit
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Weirdly it was quite watchable, probably down to Coogan’s acting. He was uncanny as Savile, quite something. It actually didn’t show the BBC in a good light and the programme was made by ITV with the profits going to charity.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Race across the world. Loved the first two series. The third one was OK even though they kept it to Canada only, the scenery was stunning.
Thought they might have sold out now it’s gone to BBC1 and “celebrity” however it’s been good so far.

The morning show is still as good as ever on AppleTV+
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

We love Race Across The World but with The Reckoning and MAFS are a bit behind. I thought the Canada one was one of the best series though all have been great. Willing Billy and Bonnie to win this one.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 am We love Race Across The World but with The Reckoning and MAFS are a bit behind. I thought the Canada one was one of the best series though all have been great. Willing Billy and Bonnie to win this one.
It originally passed us by and we only became aware of it with a live episode to go on series two. It was great to watch them al in one go. Series three for me was, annoying taxi Dad and also missing the language and currency barriers that made the first two. Canada was stunning though. Yes, come on Billy!