Decent Recent TV

nuttinnew

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by nuttinnew »

Mike Yarwood at the BBC
Rory Bremner looks back at the life and career of Mike Yarwood, master of the imitation game and one of the BBC's most successful stars of the 1970s and 80s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... at-the-bbc
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

We share the tv in our house, and with me being off I’ve been in the room whilst the wife has had eastenders on. Fuck me it’s shite. Right down to how the police operate, can’t even get basic procedure right
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

It’s already been mentioned on this thread but we’ve just finished the second series of Slow Horses. Best thing I’ve seen in ages!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

240PP wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:21 am It’s already been mentioned on this thread but we’ve just finished the second series of Slow Horses. Best thing I’ve seen in ages!
Funnily enough we've just done exactly the same, excellent story, looking forward to jumping straight into series 3.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Terrifyingly brilliant. You couldn't write a script for that.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

jamcg wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:08 am We share the tv in our house, and with me being off I’ve been in the room whilst the wife has had eastenders on. Fuck me it’s shite. Right down to how the police operate, can’t even get basic procedure right
Another Easterners Widower here - 25 years and counting... 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

scotta wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:54 pm Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Terrifyingly brilliant. You couldn't write a script for that.
Just finished this. Cracking TV but an utterly appalling series of events.

So, back to work tomorrow at a client alongside some Fujitsu people...
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mrs Mike has been watching Fool Me Once on Netflix which means I have also been watching it.

It's a murder mystery thing whose premise is that the grieving widow sees her dead hubby pop-up on a nanny cam and she starts investigating. Her husband is from a rich upper class background and there's possibly links to a death years earlier at a private school etc.

It's properly bat-shit insane stuff and I can only imagine that the writer was coked out of their tree when they wrote this and decided it would be 8 episodes long instead of a tight 2 hours.

After about 3 episodes, the one thing that kept coming back to me was the lawyer in The Simpsons who says to Homer that the best way to get him out of jail will be "surprise witnesses, each more surprising than the last. I tell you, the judge won't know what hit him!?"

I have no idea why half the characters exist. Plots or clues get setup then forgotten about. Plot holes abound. People act intelligently one minute, like absolute idiots the next. The police are just making stuff up as they go.

Of course Mrs Mike loves it.

Actually, this sums it up better.

Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Probably a bit late to the party, but I'm enjoying Dave on Disney. It follows the life and career of an aspiring rapper named Little Dickie - and his deformed penis...

Slowish but engaging, similar humour to "always sunny" or maybe arrested development (but not as wacky").

It's kept my attention (which is getting harder for tv to do these days).
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:12 pm Mrs Mike has been watching Fool Me Once on Netflix which means I have also been watching it.

It's a murder mystery thing whose premise is that the grieving widow sees her dead hubby pop-up on a nanny cam and she starts investigating. Her husband is from a rich upper class background and there's possibly links to a death years earlier at a private school etc.

It's properly bat-shit insane stuff and I can only imagine that the writer was coked out of their tree when they wrote this and decided it would be 8 episodes long instead of a tight 2 hours.

After about 3 episodes, the one thing that kept coming back to me was the lawyer in The Simpsons who says to Homer that the best way to get him out of jail will be "surprise witnesses, each more surprising than the last. I tell you, the judge won't know what hit him!?"

I have no idea why half the characters exist. Plots or clues get setup then forgotten about. Plot holes abound. People act intelligently one minute, like absolute idiots the next. The police are just making stuff up as they go.

Of course Mrs Mike loves it.

Actually, this sums it up better.

Other half binged it, it was rubbish.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:42 pm
scotta wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:54 pm Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Terrifyingly brilliant. You couldn't write a script for that.
Just finished this. Cracking TV but an utterly appalling series of events.
There was an item in the whole Horizon scandal on Radio4 that I caught about 18m ago which was similarly “they did what??” :shock:

I’ve seen several angry tweets about this - clearly missing that she’s not a real politician….

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:42 pm Other half binged it, it was rubbish.
So did I - wish I didn't. Time I won't get back. As has been said - a 2 hour show dragged out to 8 episodes.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

unzippy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:06 am
dinny_g wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 pm Reacher on Prime

I must confess, I have a weakness for rubbish TV (I watch the Magnum Reboot religiously ffs 😂) but on a scale of Rubbish where 1 is a small swing bin in the bathroom to 10, a large scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre, this is a Large Scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre that also handles commercial Asbestos waste 😂

I’m 4 episodes in already…😂

At least they chose the right lead as he’s 6’ 5” and built like a brick shithouse.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been 25 years since Killing Floor was written :shock:
Still watching the new series but the second series isn't as good - the lone Samaritan helping folks in need works, the 'team' angle doesn't.

there was a classic line in a review from the Irish Times:

How Reacher investigates crimes is not how Sherlock Holmes investigates crimes. It’s a little more like how the alien in Alien investigates chest cavities.

:lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:37 am
unzippy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:06 am
dinny_g wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 pm Reacher on Prime

I must confess, I have a weakness for rubbish TV (I watch the Magnum Reboot religiously ffs 😂) but on a scale of Rubbish where 1 is a small swing bin in the bathroom to 10, a large scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre, this is a Large Scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre that also handles commercial Asbestos waste 😂

I’m 4 episodes in already…😂

At least they chose the right lead as he’s 6’ 5” and built like a brick shithouse.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been 25 years since Killing Floor was written :shock:
Still watching the new series but the second series isn't as good - the lone Samaritan helping folks in need works, the 'team' angle doesn't.

there was a classic line in a review from the Irish Times:

How Reacher investigates crimes is not how Sherlock Holmes investigates crimes. It’s a little more like how the alien in Alien investigates chest cavities.

:lol:
yeah, totally agree. The team element was crap. I've read most of them (10 years ago), and there's definitely more books that play better to the character.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There are some genuine gems in the dialogue like

“I will end your life with one phone call”
“I will end your life with one phone”
*chokes with phone chord*

Not read the books so don’t know if that’s directly lifted or not
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I've not read any of the books, but did enjoy the first season, even with what seemed to be the "twist" being the most obvious thing I've seen in a long time. Its entertaining nonsense though!
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Good lord they brought back Gladiators.

It's already terrible :lol:

ETA:
Actually I retract that now the womens' round has started
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:57 pm Good lord they brought back Gladiators.

It's already terrible :lol:

ETA:
Actually I retract that now the womens' round has started
A friend and I were discussing this at Christmas

Must be quite hard for the Gladiators now that seemingly everyone is roided up to the eyeballs now, not just the Gladiators themselves...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I loved it, it’s like the 90’s show I grew up with unlike skys attempt at reviving it. Brings back memories of being 6 year old watching the first episode :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm I loved it, it’s like the 90’s show I grew up with unlike skys attempt at reviving it. Brings back memories of being 6 year old watching the first episode :lol:
We watched it and thought tit was pretty good fun! Total nonsense, classic Saturday telly like it used to be.
Cheers,

Mike.