Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:11 pm The Tourist (BBC)

Sunday six parter. Enjoyed it a lot, Jamie Dornan is excellent, and the story is cleverly spun with plenty of twists and turns.

8/10 80s Japanese cars.
Binged Series 1 which was very good as you say with some proper dark humour moments.

Series 2 has definitely shifted towards the comedy end of the spectrum but still has the clever spun story and twists and turns.
Spoiler
The Cop's decomposing wife was a little unnecessary but I suppose it was used to set up the comic relief of Ruairi and Ethan
I'd aso give it 8/10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 am
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:11 pm The Tourist (BBC)

Sunday six parter. Enjoyed it a lot, Jamie Dornan is excellent, and the story is cleverly spun with plenty of twists and turns.

8/10 80s Japanese cars.
Binged Series 1 which was very good as you say with some proper dark humour moments.

Series 2 has definitely shifted towards the comedy end of the spectrum but still has the clever spun story and twists and turns.
Spoiler
The Cop's decomposing wife was a little unnecessary but I suppose it was used to set up the comic relief of Ruairi and Ethan
I'd aso give it 8/10
I agree with you. We enjoyed S2 as well. Bets on S3 being announced? They certainly left it open.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Reacher S2 (Prime. No, not the awful drink)

Good entertainment with a decent story. Infinitely better than the movies, although that's a low bar.

Alan Ritcheson embodies the character really well.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Bodies on Netflix

Very ambitious in its scope and Netflix, as usual with these sorts of things, have spent a lot of money on it.

There are a few plot holes and I’m not 100% sure how the very last scene was supposed to be but I really liked it.

Oddly, the series could have ended after episode 6 but with a completely different “time can’t change” message but it ended well,

8 out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mr & Mrs Smith on Prime is pretty good fun. Its lacking a certain "something" which I can't quite put my finger on, but its way better than the movie.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Starring Michelle Yeoh as the matriarch. Loved this. Essentially a beat 'em up, split between Taiwan and California, with two brothers having distinctly different upbringings and the chaos that ensues when war seems to break out amongst the Triads. It had humour as well as seriousness. Cracking soundtrack as well.

Kleo also on Netflix. Not quite finished this one, but loving it, as is the wife. It's a post-fall of the Wall espionage and revenge drama obviously set in the late 80s, again with a good amount of humour and tragedy. Jella Haase is captivating as Kleo, and Dimitrij Schaad is superb as the comedic and slightly hapless fraud detective that gets hooked on pursuing her.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Tonight’s Eastenders

It’s almost universally shite as a program but every now again, they take on a particular theme and really go all out and tonight’s was one of those.

Tackling Race through 3 scenes- a white father and his black adopted son talking about their lives in the 60’s and 70’s, black fathers two mixed race daughters and their experiences and then his mother and his wife.

It was way better than you expect from Eastenders. Very impressive telly.

In the past, they’ve tackled Euthanasia, alcohol and drugs etc. in the same manner. The Euthanasia one with Dot Cotton and Ole’ Ethel was one the best things ever on TV

It’ll be back to shite tomorrow however
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hand job - excellent 👌
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 pm Hand job - excellent 👌
We started watching it last night, are about halfway through and the whole family are really enjoying it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:02 am
We started watching it last night, are about halfway through and the whole family are really enjoying it.
Yup, Mike enjoys a hand job with his family. :shock:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

True Detective - Series 4 concluded last night on a very satisfactory ending.

It's been very good overall - I'd rate it second behind Series 1 but ahead of Series 3 and the, frankly pretty poor series 2.

Very atmospheric, very claustrophobic, some great characters and performances (especially Boxer turned Actor Nevaro in her first role I think).

I'd give it a good 8 days of total darkness out of 10
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:53 pm
What channel/provider is it on? I had a brief search at the weekend and couldn't find it.... and I am not going to google that on a work computah :?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:44 am True Detective - Series 4 concluded last night on a very satisfactory ending.

It's been very good overall - I'd rate it second behind Series 1 but ahead of Series 3 and the, frankly pretty poor series 2.

Very atmospheric, very claustrophobic, some great characters and performances (especially Boxer turned Actor Nevaro in her first role I think).

I'd give it a good 8 days of total darkness out of 10
Just finished watching it myself and very much enjoyed it. I never watched season 3, perhaps I should go back for it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Captains of the World on Netflix

I know there are a few football fans in here and this is well worth a watch. Amazing behind the scene coverage from the World Cup focusing on the captains, past and present
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

BBC documentary;
Chinook: Zulu Delta 576
2024 is the thirtieth anniversary of the devastating helicopter crash that wiped out a generation of Northern Ireland’s top intelligence personnel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ophic-loss
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 pm BBC documentary;
Chinook: Zulu Delta 576
2024 is the thirtieth anniversary of the devastating helicopter crash that wiped out a generation of Northern Ireland’s top intelligence personnel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ophic-loss
Of work today and with the shitty weather I checked this out.

Very very good but Jesus what a cover up…
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:35 pm

What channel/provider is it on? I had a brief search at the weekend and couldn't find it.... and I am not going to google that on a work computah :?
@Ascender @Simon :?:
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:29 pm
mik wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:35 pm

@Ascender @Simon :?:
One for Mito and Mike I think. I was just taking the piss 😉
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Eh, Amazon Prime, The Grand Tour.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Ah. I thought it was a new series or something.

AS YOU WERE