Decent Recent TV

Broccers

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Broccers »

Just finished season 1 of Godfather of Harlem. Really enjoyed it as its kinda based on reality. Theres one more season to go at and apparently s3 is coming out this year. Worth a look.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm Anyone watching From? I’m really enjoying it.
Saw a trailer for that and it looked decent.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

scotta wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:21 am
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm Anyone watching From? I’m really enjoying it.
It's good because it's different.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Watched Sandman

Bit odd. Interesting, but significant proportion of what felt like unrealistically horny LGBTQ characters which felt a bit odd and took me out of it.

Still not sure what to make of it TBH.

An undefined value out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ethereal androgynous horniness has also been a core theme of Sandman.

Could never really get into the comics but I’m going to give the show a go.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:13 pm...felt like unrealistically horny LGBTQ characters ...
I'm in.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

If it's in the source material then fair enough, although it's not just the ethereal beings who are all up in everyones junk. It felt like it might have been 'forced in' (fnarr) but if that's just how it is, then that's how it is. :lol:

I mean, it's nicely shot, has a good cast who work well, etc. I think I read that they did it a bit 'anthology'-esque and perhaps the plots don't flow together that well for me.

it's definitely worth a look, it's interesting at worst.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I've recently bought the Sandman books, so am tempted to read those first then watch the adaptation as the originals have long been held up as being an absolute classic.

Penultimate Better Call Saul was amazing and the scene with Rhea on the bus near the end was incredible.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Let me know how you get on with the books @Ascender, I must've tried to read the series 5 or 6 times and never made it further than book 4.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:09 pm Let me know how you get on with the books @Ascender, I must've tried to read the series 5 or 6 times and never made it further than book 4.
Will do. Is there 75 comics in total, across the four collected books?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah 75 issues, it was 10 books in the edition I tried to read but it’s probably just a newer edition you have.

There are some tie in and spin off books that are supposed to be quite good. One based on Lucifer ran for a long time in it’s own right.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:45 am
scotta wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:21 am
It's good because it's different.
Checked out the trailer and it looks like something we'd watch, will give this a try when we get the chance. Unfortunately the MIL is here for a month so we're stuck watching shite on Netflix which meets her specific interests (basically crime drama) and has subtitles. Upside is House of the Dragon will be out by the time she leaves.:)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve never watched many TV series, so I’m finally catching up. Just finished the US series of The Office - it was good until Carell left. So Nexflix then Recommended Space Force but that was pretty meh.
So I’m now starting on Breaking Bad.
Better late than never eh 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:49 pm I’ve never watched many TV series, so I’m finally catching up. Just finished the US series of The Office - it was good until Carell left. So Nexflix then Recommended Space Force but that was pretty meh.
So I’m now starting on Breaking Bad.
Better late than never eh 😂
I've tried Breaking Bad, can't get into it
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Desperately want to see what happens to Jimmy in the final BCS on Tuesday... it would be very simple if he got caught, so I'm hoping for a mind-bending plot twist
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Trainwreck - Woodstock 99

I'd seen loads of stuff about this before but I'd never seen any interviews with much of the production side of the festival.

Really just confirms my opinion that most music promoters are the worst cunts. It's an interesting watch but it's pretty grim.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I watched that Zed.

Pretty Grim is a good description
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Locke and Key S2/3

I vaguely remember enjoying Season 1 - it's a sort of young adult horror/fantasy show.

Season 2 and 3 were quite enjoyable too. It's a bit like a Mcdonalds, but a really, really good one - it's not going to blow your socks off, but the production design, writing, acting (even the younger members of the cast) are all pretty good and there's a fair chunk of charisma between the cast.

I think unless you have a particular interest in this sort of thing (IE did you like Lemony Snicket? Imagine that but with more blood) then it's one for when you can't think of something else to watch, but want something that looks like the people behind it gave a toss.

Only three seasons and they've closed the story so the whole lot is on Netflix.

Six surprisingly well acted body swaps out of Ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

How to change your mind

Netflix doc about psychedelics based on Michael Pollan's book of the same name. Really interesting, I'm very interested in the science and history of psychedelics and have tried most at some point. It's a good intro to the subject.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Last ever episode of Better Call Saul done and dusted.

Hard to be definitive due to the March of time, but I think I enjoyed BCS more than Breaking Bad. Some slow episodes of course, but some real tension, with a few belly laughs thrown in too. 😎