Decent Recent TV

duncs500

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by duncs500 »

Oh yeah, nano fibres reminds me:
Spoiler
What if he held the records of the conversation in line with the fibre? The whole notion that slicing the ship to pieces was the best way to recover that information was ludicrous, probably one of the absolute weakest parts of the whole show.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Aside, the Fallout TV show is being pulled forward to today on Amazon Prime, 6pm PT, whatever the fuck a PT is. Some kind of timezone that no fucker other than a californian exec would use I guess.

I might binge it over the weekend and see if, as per most videogame to screen transitions, it's laughable trash caused by people severely overestimating the quality of the game series writing it's based on, because most of them have never read an actual book.
The hotly anticipated show was due to launch all its episodes at the same time on April 11, itself a revised release date from April 12. Now, all eight episodes release on Wednesday, April 10, alongside a special live global fan premiere of the first episode.

That’s good news for pretty much everyone except those who have arranged watch parties or time off work to jump straight into the show.
I'm not sure if that last part is worse than Windows launch parties, but it's gotta be fucking close.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Pacific Time?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:06 pm Pacific Time?
6pm, can't be closer than that.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:14 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:11 pm I'd happily start a thread to discuss the science in the show, as I find this part of physics fascinating. I don't think I'd get many takers though. :lol:
I could talk about theoretical physics all day long :lol:
Away from multidimensional stuff and nanofibres one scene struck me as unbelievable from the Trisolaris story was the effect of the triple sun Syzygy with everyone floating off the planet surface. Didn't really think that would work like that but maybe someone did the maths?
Doesn't quite cover that question, but still:

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:02 pm Oh yeah, nano fibres reminds me:
Spoiler
What if he held the records of the conversation in line with the fibre? The whole notion that slicing the ship to pieces was the best way to recover that information was ludicrous, probably one of the absolute weakest parts of the whole show.
That was my favourite bit. :D old bloke had little idea what was going on so was running for the furnace.

The speed of recovery of the mcguffin was unbelievable though.

Solar Syzygy lifting stuff up is apparently not a thing, inverse square law of gravity or something.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The trailer looked good for Fallout... fingers crossed...
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am The trailer looked good for Fallout... fingers crossed...
Never played the game but the series looks good.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Seems to have 'decently mid' reviews by critics, although user reviews on the standard meta review sites are being bombed and counter bombed by the usual "it's woke the women are strong does that make them trans??!??11/" types, and then the suck up fallout fanboys saying it's perfect in every way.

So you know, standard Capital G Gamer fuckwittery from the galleries :roll:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

RobYob wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:15 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:02 pm Oh yeah, nano fibres reminds me:
Spoiler
That was my favourite bit. :D old bloke had little idea what was going on so was running for the furnace.

The speed of recovery of the mcguffin was unbelievable though.

Solar Syzygy lifting stuff up is apparently not a thing, inverse square law of gravity or something.
Spoiler
Yeah, don’t send an SF team that are deployed for this sort of thing all the time and would probably not kill every man, woman and child on board.. just slice up an entire ship and then miraculously find the (undamaged) item in the 1000 tons of twisted, burning metal. Oh and then it’s unbreakable encryption will be opened by the aliens, so why encrypt it and keep it secret in the first place ffs!? 😂
Cheers,

Ian
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:01 pm
Spoiler
Yeah, don’t send an SF team that are deployed for this sort of thing all the time and would probably not kill every man, woman and child on board.. just slice up an entire ship and then miraculously find the (undamaged) item in the 1000 tons of twisted, burning metal. Oh and then it’s unbreakable encryption will be opened by the aliens, so why encrypt it and keep it secret in the first place ffs!? 😂
Spoiler
I thought they went over the reason why adequately, even with the super surprise wire attack they only just stopped the drive being toasted. The Trisolaris/San Ti flipped strategies from fifth column to psychological terror/ or just arrogance after discovering humans can lie. They change strategies again against the wallfacers
Spoiler
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 pm Seems to have 'decently mid' reviews by critics, although user reviews on the standard meta review sites are being bombed and counter bombed by the usual "it's woke the women are strong does that make them trans??!??11/" types, and then the suck up fallout fanboys saying it's perfect in every way.

So you know, standard Capital G Gamer fuckwittery from the galleries :roll:
That's all getting so tiresome and predictable.

Watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Antisocial Network On Netflix

Very interesting documentary on the growth of internet disinformation from the birth of 4Chan through Anonymous through QAnon and Storming the Capitol
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am The trailer looked good for Fallout... fingers crossed...
I've seen 1.5 episodes and it's suprisingly good - few mates who've never played the games have said how much they enjoyed it too.
Colour me suprised, from the trailers I expected it to be poor.

Someone make a Mass Effect TV show! (although it's kinda already been done with The Expanse)
Beany

Post by Beany »

I binged the series last night, and as someone with only a tangential knowledge of the plot (vaguely 50's/60s cold-warry aesthetic, VaultTec being the Amazon of the world (kind of ironic), whoops apocalypse, what happens when the vaults open etc) it was pretty good, very watchable. Solid 7/10 stuff, enjoyed it, reckon it deserves a second series, as the production team seem to be on the ball with it.

I hear lore nerds aren't happy about one of the main plot points as it undermines the game series existing story (I won't spoil it for those who are interested, but haven't seen it yet), but in the shows defence, it's clear that they studied the existing story and made a decision based on that which they presumably felt was more dramatically useful in the long term.

Which is better than the Halo show where they (as I understand it, am told by fans, etc - another game series I never cared for) specifically and deliberately ignored the main story of the games almost entirely and just used the setting to make a series about John Halo, big man in big suit with big guns, in space - generic sci fi but with a known IP and known major story elements attached to it, to write around.

Big John Halo is a character who like Judge Dredd, never shows his full face - it's like, the characters whole schtick.
In the Halo TV series, his face is on show like, 80% of the time....

So you know, could be worse.
Matty

Post by Matty »

I get that creating shows based on games is difficult - you have to appeal to the existing fanbase, who know the characters, their motivations, the story and the lore, and also appeal to people who either don't know or aren't interested in where the shows roots are.

For shows like The Last of Us, it's easier - very little plot or lore, it's your standard zombie show. Again, Fallout isn't that bad, it's not deep lore, and no specific characters or races to strictly to adhere to so you can work around it.

Trickier shows which have succumbed to writers just wanting to shit on the source are Halo and The Witcher - the latter being even more difficult as you've got the OG book club to keep happy as well. But in both instances, they vocally and literally said they didn't give a shit about the source, but neither title carries enough weight to be good in it's own right so now you've got no audience at all.

You've also got the Warhammer 40k show coming soon with Caville at the helm. He's a full, hardcore 40k nerd but not only is that show going to need a metric-shit-ton of money to do well, the 40k fanbase are rabid! They'll want him hung via a lamppost if he gets a single bit or lore spelt incorrectly.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I thought him going from Witcher to WH40k is basically a rod for his back. You literally have the star power mate, just ask them to delay production for a couple of years, they'll do it.

All he's done now is infuriate one fan base, and taint another - good job.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:34 am Yeah, I thought him going from Witcher to WH40k is basically a rod for his back. You literally have the star power mate, just ask them to delay production for a couple of years, they'll do it.

All he's done now is infuriate one fan base, and taint another - good job.
Didn't Caville bail on The Witcher because the TV writers wouldn't stop dicking about with the perfectly good storeis from the books and games? I mean they were not short of great material but for reasons went and made up new stuff which very few people wanted.

40k has SO much lore you can probably just pick a tiny sub section and make a very watchable series rather than try and cover some of the huge arcs. Seems to be what the new Rogue Trader game has done and been quite good at.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:52 pm
I've seen 1.5 episodes and it's suprisingly good - few mates who've never played the games have said how much they enjoyed it too.
Colour me suprised, from the trailers I expected it to be poor.

Someone make a Mass Effect TV show! (although it's kinda already been done with The Expanse)
Plowed through all the episodes over a couple of days (long train journeys) and I enjoyed it. Never played the games, but that might have helped? Either way, decent brain out fun.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:10 pm I hear lore nerds aren't happy....
Fvck those guys. They're never happy. It's a TV show. Get over it.

I think you also made the point that it's so difficult these days to read impartial, objective reviews to anything as so many sites seem to have an agenda of one sort or another. Its also funny (and tiresome) when you find a reviewer who says they're not really basing their opinions on anything like an anti-woke agenda, but then their mask slips and you realise they are just like any of the others who can't seem to stand anything which doesn't have a straight white guy in the lead.

Someone recommended Culprits to me last week, am a few episodes in and really enjoying it. It's a show set in the aftermath of a heist done a few years earlier, the consequences of which are now catching up on those involved. Its on Disney+ and looks like it aired last year so all you cool kids have probably already seen it.
Cheers,

Mike.