Decent Recent TV

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am Hmmm, I don’t think it’s for me. I have the patience of a small child when starting new series’.
I’m the same, if it doesn’t grab me immediately I’m out. TV conversations often go like:

“Have you seen <title>? It’s amazing”
“I watched most of the first episode, didn’t like it”
“But it gets better towards the end of the second season!”
“Fuck that”
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

240PP wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 am Hmmm, I don’t think it’s for me. I have the patience of a small child when starting new series’.
I’m the same, if it doesn’t grab me immediately I’m out. TV conversations often go like:

“Fuck that”
Yeah, I put off watching Breaking Bad for eleven years for similar reasons. Binged four seasons in the last few months. It's pretty good.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:30 am
Turns out, each of the 3 stories (Geralt/Yen/Ciri) is told in a different timeline, but they don't make that clear. I was under the impression they were happening concurrently, but they're not.
Yeah, it took me till about Ep4 before that really, obviously clicked and it annoyed the piss out of me as I was trying to work out whether there were strong interconnections between the stories.

I'll finish it off tonight (perhaps they'll tie it all up, perhaps they'll just be clear about the timeline delineations) but despite having basically no knowledge of The Witcher, never having played the games, read the books etc, I'm enjoying it in a sort of low key way. I'm looking forward to getting into watching it again, certainly. Even if it ends disappointingly, it feels like the story and universe have potential.

Updated opinions later after a bottle of wine and a bag of chips. :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, that ending wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Did they get a second season, or did they make a fucking mess of it by assuming they'd get a second season and then leaving you hanging?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:51 pm Even if it ends disappointingly, it feels like the story and universe have potential.
Well she's got a ton of books to base more story on. Heck, once that runs out she can even do the final seasons based on the games, the nerds will be all over that - to be fair, I'd love to see the Wild Hunt on screen.

And yes, Season 2 was greenlit before S1 aired. As it's been received well, and got plenty of views, I suspect you'll see a few more seasons.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:51 pm Even if it ends disappointingly, it feels like the story and universe have potential.
Well she's got a ton of books to base more story on. Heck, once that runs out she can even do the final seasons based on the games, the nerds will be all over that - to be fair, I'd love to see the Wild Hunt on screen.

And yes, Season 2 was greenlit before S1 aired. As it's been received well, and got plenty of views, I suspect you'll see a few more seasons.
Oh, that's less annoying then. I like the concept/universe, just the execution of the series was a bit of an annoyance.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

240PP wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm

“Fuck that”
This is why I’ve never got into Rick and Morty. Watched the pilot based on a mate’s recommendation and thought it was annoying and shit.

Mate: “Oh yeah, it gets loads better after that”

Me: “Then why did you make we watch a shit one to start with?!”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Same, saw the hype surrounding it, watched a couple of episodes when it came on normal telly, thought it was the most overrated load of crap I've ever seen.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:33 am Same, saw the hype surrounding it, watched a couple of episodes when it came on normal telly, thought it was the most overrated load of crap I've ever seen.
The trailers looked shit, if they can’t sell you it with a trailer you can be pretty sure it’s crap.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Can’t believe His Dark Materials has finished. I guess we’ll have to wait a year for it to continue. Absolutely loved the series.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:18 pm Can’t believe His Dark Materials has finished. I guess we’ll have to wait a year for it to continue. Absolutely loved the series.
Thoroughly enjoyable, I listened to the excellent audiobook in parallel. But it confuses me as to why the "this world" parts were in the TV series at all.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A Christmas Carol

The bbc one. Different but I’m liking it so far...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:26 pm A Christmas Carol

I thought it was dreadful. Far too slow. They’re dragging it out over 3 episodes.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

RobYob wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:27 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:18 pm Can’t believe His Dark Materials has finished. I guess we’ll have to wait a year for it to continue. Absolutely loved the series.
Thoroughly enjoyable, I listened to the excellent audiobook in parallel. But it confuses me as to why the "this world" parts were in the TV series at all.
Setup for season 2.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:19 pm
Setup for season 2.
But why were the Magisterium soldiers using German WWII machine guns?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Setup for season 2.
The same reason people drive around in Rover 90s.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:26 pm A Christmas Carol

Very good, even darker than previous versions
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Loved the Mr Robot finale, all makes sense now (hat theory was a red herring) and was a brilliant way to end one of the most enjoyable series in recent years.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Looking forward to bingeing Mr Robot while waiting for the next (last of the series?) Mandalorian ep to come out.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:58 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Setup for season 2.
The same reason people drive around in Rover 90s.
Which is?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away