Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

Gotcha Rob - thanks
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Watchmen ended on a high with another amazing episode although I need to re-watch the whole thing as there's just so much going on.

Mr Robot's latest episode was also brilliant albeit a bit mind-bending near the end!
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ascender wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:37 pm Mr Robot's latest episode was also brilliant albeit a bit mind-bending near the end!
Seconded 8-) + :shock: + :?:
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

My wife fell asleep during Mr Robot and woke up at the start of the "dream" sequence. She's only been half-watching "Doctor Computer" and means to each it from the start, but she kept asking what was going on and didn't believe me when I said "I don't know".

She thought I was just fobbing her off because I couldn't be bothered with her questions as she often doesn't pay attention and will just read the wikipedia when I get fed up answering them.
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Yeah, Mr Robot was a strange one. Lots of questions, only a double-length episode left to explain it all! The sit down between Elliott and Whiterose was brilliantly delivered by both of them.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So, The Man In The High Castle. I think I enjoyed it, but the ending felt strangely unsatisfying and a bit of an anti-climax. There was a lot to enjoy in the series and the premise, but they took a long time to really confirm how they were going to use the multiverse aspect and then it kind of got shoved to one side. The changing worlds/timeline keeps you on your toes, but some of the switches felt unnecessary and messy. And then in the final season they address the big elephant in the room which has been hinted-at in the past (mainly with the eugenics stuff), around concentration camps and their grand plan for the rest of the US.

Much to like, but felt like a wasted opportunity.

Has anybody read the book its based on?
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 am
Matty wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:23 pm Also, Season 4 of The Expanse dropped today. By coincidence, I ordered something of Amazon and they offered me free prime for 99p for the weeks, which should be just enough time to binge the show in glorious 4K.
No 4k here but the quality of The Expanse certainly hasn't dropped with the move to Amazon Prime, in any respect.

If you've been enjoying it up till now, I think Season 4 will put a smile on your face.

Solid 8/10
Finished - and yes, really enjoyed it. I'd agree with the 8/10. It didn't really grab me like the previous seasons, but still some great television.

Gutted about the very end of the last episode though :(
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Only got to episode 3 or 4 of the last series of Man In The High Castle so I’d better get on with it and steer clear of this thread until then!
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:02 am
Beany wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 am
Matty wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:23 pm Also, Season 4 of The Expanse dropped today. By coincidence, I ordered something of Amazon and they offered me free prime for 99p for the weeks, which should be just enough time to binge the show in glorious 4K.
No 4k here but the quality of The Expanse certainly hasn't dropped with the move to Amazon Prime, in any respect.

If you've been enjoying it up till now, I think Season 4 will put a smile on your face.

Solid 8/10
Finished - and yes, really enjoyed it. I'd agree with the 8/10. It didn't really grab me like the previous seasons, but still some great television.

Gutted about the very end of the last episode though :(
I think the thing is that this series is more grounded, with less crazy warp tech etc and is more of a character based series now that the main sci-fi stuff is 'normal'.

Also, the very end of the episode?
Spoiler
You mean Miller no longer being a thing, or Amos getting his kill face on? Boo on the former, but yay on the latter, as I think there'll be more Amos and more on his backstory next season, and if they go flashbacky about it, there's lots to draw on there from the short stories etc
Matty

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:42 am

I think the thing is that this series is more grounded, with less crazy warp tech etc and is more of a character based series now that the main sci-fi stuff is 'normal'.

Also, the very end of the episode?
Spoiler
You mean Miller no longer being a thing, or Amos getting his kill face on? Boo on the former, but yay on the latter, as I think there'll be more Amos and more on his backstory next season, and if they go flashbacky about it, there's lots to draw on there from the short stories etc
No, it was
Spoiler
the death of Ashford. I thought he was a great character, well played by David Strathairn. Plenty of people could have been killed off and I wouldn't have been overly fussed, but he seems like a proper loss to the show IMO.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh god yes. It was well done though, I felt.
Spoiler
There were a few different characters in the book that Ashford was made from as they filled kinda similar roles - high up in the OPA, chummy with Naomi and Drummer, etc so they appeared to roll them into one.

I think they'll likely introduce one of his 'inspirations' as a character next series (maybe they didn't expect to get so far with all this?) so perhaps they had to drop him based on that to clean up some plotline/timeline/continuity stuff.

But yeah, that actor proper stole every scene he was in - which is impressive given that there's really no dead weight in that cast - hopefully there'll be an excuse for some flashback stuff with Naomi and Drummer next series so they've got an excuse to get him back in.
Edit, if you haven't read the books, they're worth a look, they're not difficult to digest at all, and are good wee page turners.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Inside Bill's Brain

Didn't [mention]tim[/mention] post about this? Can't find the post, but well worth a watch. Bill Gates is a fascinating and intense person. Documentary is a bit soft at times, but the scale of his ambitions are unbelievable, and come across well.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
tim

Post by tim »

I did mention it yes, I thought it was brilliant.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Started watching Glow recently and we got through all three series pretty quickly.

Really funny and easy to watch show. Would recommend.

Also watched the second season of Final Space. Also very good.
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Not tv, this channel has many remastered old documentaries and films on it such as the one in the link;

Matty

Post by Matty »

Witcher has dropped on Netflix, full season. Reviews have been mixed, but largely positive early on.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

2 episodes in and confused as fuck... :lol:

Enjoyable so far though.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Matty

Post by Matty »

I'm 4 episodes in now. It's clearly on a budget - some of the sets are iffy, some of the acting is iffy too, but I'm enjoying it. Some of the lines from the books haven't translated to the screen though, it can be a bit cringe. Hopefully they'll get a better budget for S2.

However, despite reading the books and playing the games, I was feeling a bit confused too in parts - at one point, they're talking about people who are dead? Turns out, each of the 3 stories (Geralt/Yen/Ciri) is told in a different timeline, but they don't make that clear. I was under the impression they were happening concurrently, but they're not.

So yeah, they've fucked that bit up, they needed to make it clearer.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Hmmm, I don’t think it’s for me. I have the patience of a small child when starting new series’. Once it’s going and I’m onboard, then complicate the shit out of it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Matty wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:30 am It's clearly on a budget
Yeah - thought that about the budget...