Decent Recent TV

Explosive Newt

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Explosive Newt »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:35 pm
John wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:59 pm I've just binge watched The Gentlemen series on Netflix and found it quite amusing.
It is pretty good. I finished E5 last night (travellers). It is erring a little towards the silly side, but still entertaining.
Agree - bit silly but very watchable.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Its almost like a Greatest Hits of Guy Ritchie but is very good fun.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I binged it at the weekend and agree it's a great watch, really entertaining and well paced. It feels like it gave Guy Ritchie enough space to fill-out the characters and plot lines that wouldn't fit in a 2 hour movie.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A Life in 10 Pictures

Brilliant series looking at the life of a famous person through 10 pictures, introduced by the people who took the pic, those in it or connected to it.

It’s a really good way to frame a talk about the person.

First one was Carrie Fischer, the second, Bruce Lee. Next week is Robin Williams.

Thoroughly recommended
Last edited by dinny_g on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm A Life in 10 Pictures

Brilliant series looking at the life of a famous person through 10 pictures,
Will take a look.

Sounds like a dream for @kiwidave
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:28 pm I binged it at the weekend and agree it's a great watch, really entertaining and well paced. It feels like it gave Guy Ritchie enough space to fill-out the characters and plot lines that wouldn't fit in a 2 hour movie.
Just on episode 3, while driving the McLaren " the clutch takes some getting used to"

FFS.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

RobYob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 am 3 body problem really enjoying this. Halfway through and it's keeping the story moving.

I remember the book being very interesting but also hard work, maybe because the writers perspective was so different.

How they'll adapt book 2 I have no idea.
Watching and enjoying episode 2 currently..
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I dropped off of 3 body problem at ep5.

They keep undermining their hard sci-fi for story convenience.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 am I dropped off of 3 body problem at ep5.

It's been a few years but iirc they're following the book fairly closely for the main sciencey ideas. They're definitely sticking to the speed of light limit (apart from the magic of instant communication via photon entanglement)

One episode to go and dare I say it D&D may have partially redeemed themselves.

High hopes for series 2.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just binged The Last of Us

Really enjoyed it. I never played the game or watched the likes of The Walking Dead so I had no baggage while watching it.

The performances were great, particularly Bella Ramsey and as mentioned, the episode with Bill and Frank was excellent

Looking forward to the second series
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

RobYob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:14 pm

It's been a few years but iirc they're following the book fairly closely for the main sciencey ideas. They're definitely sticking to the speed of light limit (apart from the magic of instant communication via photon entanglement)

High hopes for series 2.
I’ve never read the books so it might be a source problem.
Spoiler
Finding out that the species that developed interstellar travel doesn’t understand the concept of imagination killed it for me. Like, how would a society even get as far as that without imagination?

Saying that, it’s got me thinking about the viability of a planet stuck in a 3 body problem having life in the first place. Best not to pick :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Spoiler
They don't understand falsehoods because they're nearly a hive mind, individual thoughts are "broadcast".

Afaik they do have imagination. Why they didn't use their tech to stabilise their solar system isn't explained but I guess shifting several suns away from one another is beyond even dimension folding tech.

They do make Tardigrades look like lightweights!
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 am I’ve never read the books so it might be a source problem.
Spoiler
Finding out that the species that developed interstellar travel doesn’t understand the concept of imagination killed it for me. Like, how would a society even get as far as that without imagination?

Saying that, it’s got me thinking about the viability of a planet stuck in a 3 body problem having life in the first place. Best not to pick :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I really enjoyed Constellation on Apple TV and want to give it a rewatch to pick up all the little hints along the way about what was going on as its one of those shows where what was happening was hiding in plain sight all along. Noomi Rapace is an astronaut onboard the ISS when an accident happens and upon returning to earth not is all as it seems.

I've also nearly finished Masters of the Air, also on Apple. It follows the 100th Bomb Group, a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomber unit in England during World War II. It seems to be a bit of a companion piece to Band of Brothers and The Pacific and it's another utterly terrifying view as to what soldiers were going through in WWII. Like those other two shows it really gives you a sense of perspective and just how much of a lottery war was back in those days. The losses the bomber wing faced day in, day out were horrendous.

CGI is a wee bit shonky in places but it didn't distract me at all.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Why did they make a TV show about the Doom level, Slough of Despair?

Slough of Despair

Suburban Screams Promo art:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

RobYob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:59 am
Spoiler
They don't understand falsehoods because they're nearly a hive mind, individual thoughts are "broadcast".

Afaik they do have imagination. Why they didn't use their tech to stabilise their solar system isn't explained but I guess shifting several suns away from one another is beyond even dimension folding tech.

They do make Tardigrades look like lightweights!
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 am I’ve never read the books so it might be a source problem.
Spoiler

Hmm, I don’t know. My spoiler just seemed a bit convenient to the plot and put me off a bit, not a fan of deus ex machina as a writing device.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:14 pm

High hopes for series 2.
One episode to go on this, I have broadly enjoyed it because there's not much sci-fi around like this, so it inherently climbs to near the top of the list.

There are some pretty fundamental scientific and logic flaws with it though that grate, and some of the characters are quite annoying and behave incredibly strangely. I do love the cop guy though!
Spoiler
FTL communication breaks causality just the same as FTL travel.

I called it on the proposed method to reach 1% light speed with nukes, that is thought to be genuinely possible, however she goes on to explain that they will distribute the nukes between earth and the aliens, so how do they propose to get the nukes going fast enough in order to do that in what seems to be a couple of months, and how did they stop them in position. The whole speed of development in general is ridiculous as well.

If the aliens wanted to slow down human advancement, they seem to be totally under using their proton super computers. Basically those devices should be able to do anything and second guess anything, the whole concept that humans stand any chance seems pointless (albeit needed to make it entertaining!).

I could go on, but you get the idea. None of it stands up to critical assessment.

Let's see if the final installment makes it more satisfying from a logic standpoint.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'd happily start a thread to discuss the science in the show, as I find this part of physics fascinating. I don't think I'd get many takers though. :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:28 pm I binged it at the weekend and agree it's a great watch, really entertaining and well paced. It feels like it gave Guy Ritchie enough space to fill-out the characters and plot lines that wouldn't fit in a 2 hour movie.
I'm two episodes in and really enjoying it so far. It's made a bit funnier to me because I'm good mates with a guy who loves Guy Ritchie films, looks a bit like the main guy and whose dad is an actual Duke (he's a Marquess) - he doesn't have the estate and the millions sadly though, and thankfully his brother is a good guy too..!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:11 pm I'd happily start a thread to discuss the science in the show, as I find this part of physics fascinating. I don't think I'd get many takers though. :lol:
I could talk about theoretical physics all day long :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:11 pm I'd happily start a thread to discuss the science in the show, as I find this part of physics fascinating. I don't think I'd get many takers though. :lol:
I could talk about theoretical physics all day long :lol:
Away from multidimensional stuff and nanofibres one scene struck me as unbelievable from the Trisolaris story was the effect of the triple sun Syzygy with everyone floating off the planet surface. Didn't really think that would work like that but maybe someone did the maths?