The Watches Thread

Nathan

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Nathan »

I used to care about watches until I realised I should probably think about adding muscle instead.
Real-life Females
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nathan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am I used to care about watches until I realised I should probably think about adding muscle instead.
ah yes, that classic dilemma - watches or muscle.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm
Nathan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am I used to care about watches until I realised I should probably think about adding muscle instead.
ah yes, that classic dilemma - watches or muscle.
Nothing looks better than a muscly wrist.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Or worse than a skinny one
Real-life Females
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am Some people just enjoy complicating things to make them a “thing”.

I worked with a guy who came in one day with an iron burn on his collar. I said that I ironed the back of my collars so that couldn’t happen and he told me I was doing it wrong because in the cadets he’d been told to iron the front.

I left it there.
You can iron any side of it if you simply don't burn what you're ironing.

As for the fold in that video, the result looks rubbish and I don't think it's terribly effective with double cuffs.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am Some people just enjoy complicating things to make them a “thing”.

I worked with a guy who came in one day with an iron burn on his collar. I said that I ironed the back of my collars so that couldn’t happen and he told me I was doing it wrong because in the cadets he’d been told to iron the front.

I left it there.
You can iron any side of it if you simply don't burn what you're ironing.

indeed, I wasn’t telling him he was wrong, he was telling me I was - with a burn on his collar!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There was a kid at my school who used to go to the toilet once a week and lay a log as thick as a leg then draw a face on it with whipped cream. He also called it a master roll.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:20 pm There was a kid at my school who used to go to the toilet once a week and lay a log as thick as a leg then draw a face on it with whipped cream. He also called it a master roll.
I find that hard to believe, sorry.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

My watch has started running fast, probably +1:30 per day. Is there anything that can easily be done about this, I'm guessing that getting it fixd professionally would be uneconomical for a £50 (when new) Seiko?
mik

Post by mik »

You can regulate it yourself - I did it to a Spinnaker with a Japanese movement that I then gave to my youngest.

It now runs about 3s fast per day.

- find out what movement it has and where the adjust lever is
- download the hairspring ap (or similar). Use it with your phone headphone mic (with all wrapped in a towel)
- make SMALL adjusts (with a toothpick or similar). Use the app as a guide only - check it over a couple of days after each movement

In saying all that - if it was running fine and is now 90s our per day, it probably needs a service. (And they should regulate it with proper timing equip as part of that service)
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Cool, thanks for the info. It's about two and a half years old and has been gradually getting worse over the last month or so. Roughly how much should I expect a service to be?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Pete_ wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 pm My watch has started running fast, probably +1:30 per day. Is there anything that can easily be done about this, I'm guessing that getting it fixd professionally would be uneconomical for a £50 (when new) Seiko?
A mate of mine bought a watch off eBay and it gained 7 minutes every hour. It was hilarious.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm
Pete_ wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 pm My watch has started running fast, probably +1:30 per day. Is there anything that can easily be done about this, I'm guessing that getting it fixd professionally would be uneconomical for a £50 (when new) Seiko?
A mate of mine bought a watch off eBay and it gained 7 minutes every hour. It was hilarious.
Were you sitting together watching paint dry when you decided to check its timekeeping? Must have been laugh-a-minute (or laugh every slightly less than a minute!)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Can I suggest a quartz watch. It’ll keep time.
mik

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm Cool, thanks for the info. It's about two and a half years old and has been gradually getting worse over the last month or so. Roughly how much should I expect a service to be?
No idea. I've not been interested long enough for either of mine to need one. 8-)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 pm Can I suggest a quartz watch. It’ll keep time.
Imagine this on a NATO strap. Indestructible.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Talking of keeping time the thing that has made me question luxury watch movements the most is this piece of fakeness -
I bought this fake watch 14 years ago on holiday with my family in Dubai. The dodgy seller assured me it contained the finest automatic movement from Singapore - this wasn’t some made in China shit. It was a proper genuine fake as he put it. I tried it on and could feel the automatic gubbins winding up inside as I moved my hand and haggled till I got it for £40. (I think the actual version has a quartz movement which makes it all the more odd!)

I wore it for maybe 2 years full time and it always kept the time, only losing 5 seconds a month or so. Didn’t wear it for years then went to Morocco for a week and decided to wear the crap watch and it still kept the time perfectly. The bloody power reserve still lasts 48 hours even. Whenever my dad has to give a decent watch for a service he usually tells the staff in his unimpressed tone how a £40 POS automatic watch keeps better time than his “finest” automatic movement.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 pm Can I suggest a quartz watch. It’ll keep time.
Imagine this on a NATO strap. Indestructible.

the military banned them - they were classified as WMDs.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Excellent for making timed bombs aren’t they?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:07 pm Talking of keeping time the thing that has made me question luxury watch movements the most is this piece of fakeness -
I bought this fake watch 14 years ago on holiday with my family in Dubai.
Looks like a real watch to me.