The Watches Thread

John

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by John »

DaveE wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:52 pm Given how bullish the watch market is, I'd be immediately sceptical of something that's significantly cheaper than it should be

There is no need for the seller to be selling that much under market, so why are they?
The watch market has cooled considerably over the last few months so that could be a contribution plus a no reserve auction and maybe it ending on a Sunday didn't help. It's passed the ebay authentication process so it should be ok.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

John wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:44 pm
DaveE wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:52 pm Given how bullish the watch market is, I'd be immediately sceptical of something that's significantly cheaper than it should be

There is no need for the seller to be selling that much under market, so why are they?
The watch market has cooled considerably over the last few months so that could be a contribution plus a no reserve auction and maybe it ending on a Sunday didn't help. It's passed the ebay authentication process so it should be ok.
Hopefully you've bagged yourself a bargain there 😀🤞
John

Post by John »

Well it's arrived and I'm very happy with it and it seems to have had very little use. I'm not looking forward to sizing the bracelet though as the screws are the tiniest that I've ever seen and there are two for each pin.
mik

Post by mik »

Good news @John . Interesting comment on the screws - according to google "Adjusting a Grand Seiko steel bracelet is fairly straightforward once you know how to do it. All you need is a 1.2mm screwdriver."

I have some "instrument screwdrivers" which go down to a 1.4mm driver, but I should probably pick up a proper set of jeweller's drivers (which generally go down to 0.8mm or lower).
John

Post by John »

I've got a set of screwdrivers that go down to the correct size so that should be ok. Youtube has thrown up a couple of videos and the main thing that I have learnt is don't drop the screws :?
mik

Post by mik »

Good luck then 8-)

I prefer screws to pins in bracelets, but I did very nearly drop my Chris Ward C11 deep into the bowels of Postojna Caves in Slovenia when a screw (that must have been loose for a while) popped out of the SuperEngII bracelet - I moved it on my wrist and instinctively gripped it as I felt it move weirdly.... very lucky. :shock:

Not my image
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:36 am Good luck then 8-)

I prefer screws to pins in bracelets, but I did very nearly drop my Chris Ward C11 deep into the bowels of Postojna Caves in Slovenia when a screw (that must have been loose for a while) popped out of the SuperEngII bracelet - I moved it on my wrist and instinctively gripped it as I felt it move weirdly.... very lucky. :shock:

Not my image
Oof, would you get that back on travel insurance?! :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:55 am Oof, would you get that back on travel insurance?! :lol:
Depends if he'd taken the locking nuts out.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

And if the telematics reported high intensity movements oh his wrist
John

Post by John »

Resizing complete.

The screws were tiny but with a good jeweller's screwdriver plus an illuminated desk magnifying glass to help my old eyes, it wasn't too bad.

Holley

Post by Holley »

Probably late to the party, but have been enjoying Andrew Morgan's youtube channel. Very entertaining :lol:

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'd not realised he had his own channel - was subscribed to the Watchfinder channel which he presents but always wondered if there was a corporate line he had to toe on that. Thanks for the link.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:24 pm I'd not realised he had his own channel - was subscribed to the Watchfinder channel which he presents but always wondered if there was a corporate line he had to toe on that. Thanks for the link.
I started with Teddy Baldassarre's video's but quickly realised he seems to mainly recommend the same brands (the one's he sells on his website). I did learn quite a bit though.

Andrew was far more entertaining and just as knowledgeable. Was pleased to see he also owns a Tudor 58 which he lists in his top 10 perfect (but boring :lol: ) watches to own.
John

Post by John »

Goldsmiths have an extra 20% off some of their sale watches.

SEIKO PROSPEX Heritage Turtle 1968 Re-Interpretation. £512 with code, was £1040

SEIKO PROSPEX Glacier 'Save The Ocean' 1970 Re-Interpretation. £600 with code, was £1250

TAG HEUER Aquaracer Professional 200. £1640 with code, was £2500

Quite a few other different watch brands too.
Holley

Post by Holley »

It's been interesting re-reading this thread from the beginning, not least to see how much some watch prices have increased. There's a post 3 years ago saying how expensive a Seamaster 300 is at £4k (they're £5.5k now). Also didn't realise how many of you own some lovely watches.

Have spent the last year (probably longer really) toying with getting my first mechanical watch. Quite overwhelming at first and has taken a while to understand the different types on offer.

I found it easier to stick with a design type I wanted, so limited my choices to a dive style watch. Has been cool learning the history from 50 fathoms to submariner and all the other style icons. Initially I wanted to avoid the obvious choices and started looking at Doxa, Halios, Reef. But when you start looking at warranties and servicing, it became obvious to me why the obvious choices are so obvious :lol: .

Following from GG's advice on a previous page of trying stuff on, I went watch shopping over Xmas to see how they looked in real life. Started with one of my favourites, the Omega 300 range (too expensive for me, but wanted to see if they're worth the extra), legend diver, Oris, Mont Blanc, Tudor and Bremont.

Omega is indeed very lovely, but at 42mm I felt too big really and just couldn't get over how much they are. Legend Diver feels great but just felt a bit meh about it. Oris and Mont Blanc are nice and I can see the appeal. Bremont as a brand I wanted to like, but just didn't do it for me and I don't know why.

So ended up with the most boring and obvious choice of all, a black bay 58 on a bracelet. Very chuffed with it. At 39mm it's the right size for me, not too flashy and feels robust so I don't worry about wearing it a lot.

Problem is I've got the bug now and there was another watch I loved, a certain 38mm speedmaster. Maybe a 50th present to myself at the end of the decade!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

TUDOR definitely seem to be one of those brands that make a good quality watch at sensible prices and have a really nice range IMO. High up my list of next watches, although I also like some of Chris Ward's current offerings.
Holley

Post by Holley »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:25 pm TUDOR definitely seem to be one of those brands that make a good quality watch at sensible prices and have a really nice range IMO. High up my list of next watches, although I also like some of Chris Ward's current offerings.
The CW twelve seems to get great reviews, looks amazing value and does look good. Didn't like their divers range though
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:25 pm TUDOR definitely seem to be one of those brands that make a good quality watch at sensible prices.
All things being relative of course..... :?
mik

Post by mik »

Holley wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pm
The CW twelve seems to get great reviews, looks amazing value and does look good. Didn't like their divers range though
I like the C60 Elite 1000, but despite having the new logo at 12 o'clock, it also has the old text logo at 9 o'clock, which looks crap to me.

Holley

Post by Holley »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:49 pm
Holley wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pm
I like the C60 Elite 1000, but despite having the new logo at 12 o'clock, it also has the old text logo at 9 o'clock, which looks crap to me.

It would be better without a the long date