The Watches Thread

Mito Man

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Mito Man »

My fake tag is still going and it’s really old now. The only horrible thing with them is the glass. Any watch which isn’t sapphire just looks cheap and crap when viewed from any angle other than directly. I’d like an oil filled watch because of their clarity - like looking at a 4k screen compared to HD but U-Boats are pretty naff design wise.
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Maybe I should try photographing this one at angle because it looks like sapphire or crystal or whatever. Of course it isn’t but it certainly looks convincing.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Not sure this shows what I wanted to but perhaps it will work.

John

Post by John »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:57 pm My fake tag is still going and it’s really old now. The only horrible thing with them is the glass. Any watch which isn’t sapphire just looks cheap and crap when viewed from any angle other than directly. I’d like an oil filled watch because of their clarity - like looking at a 4k screen compared to HD but U-Boats are pretty naff design wise.
Sinn do oil filled.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah but bit steep for me. I’ve seen some YouTube vids of people filling normal watches with mineral oil and the end result is great. Tempted to try it on something sub £100.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I take it you can’t pull out the crown on a watch you have self-filled with oil, because it’ll leak out.

Sapphire alone doesn’t do it for me; anti-reflective coating is required to make the crystal seem to disappear. Rolex don’t use coatings, do they?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It seems to depend on the watch, some have 2 O rings on the crown so they main a seal in both positions. Otherwise you can do it on something like a digital Casio which just uses buttons.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 pm I take it you can’t pull out the crown on a watch you have self-filled with oil, because it’ll leak out.

Sapphire alone doesn’t do it for me; anti-reflective coating is required to make the crystal seem to disappear. Rolex don’t use coatings, do they?
The amount of high end (to me) watches that don't have AR coating is ridiculous, it seems like it should be such a simple and all round better thing for manufacturers to do. It was particuarly bad on the Black Bay 36 that I tried on, felt like I was going to get a migraine from looking at the shop lights reflecting in the dial.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

John wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:36 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:57 pm My fake tag is still going and it’s really old now. The only horrible thing with them is the glass. Any watch which isn’t sapphire just looks cheap and crap when viewed from any angle other than directly. I’d like an oil filled watch because of their clarity - like looking at a 4k screen compared to HD but U-Boats are pretty naff design wise.
Sinn do oil filled.
Sinn do some lovely watches.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:18 am
Maurice wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Pete - any update on the repair?
No updates yet, should be ready to collect at end of this week for start of next if they stick to what they said.
Reckon this is BS to buy more time? Surely it only takes about five seconds to put the case back on?

mik

Post by mik »

Image no worky.

Although 7/10 for “buy more time”

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

They confirmed on Friday that it would be ready for collection today, but texted me at 3pm saying:

Hi Peter,
Your watch is ready as I told you but we need to close the back case properly before collection. Unfortunately it will be tomorrow as it takes time and not easy.
I Will let you know tomorrow after it is done and ready for collection.

I mean I don't mind if it takes an extra day but I'd rather they weren't creative with the reason. Maybe they just want to go home early today.
mik

Post by mik »

:? Maybe they know more than you and it is actually difficult to do without compromising a seal, or leaving tool witness marks on your lovely unmarked case back? If they were going to make something up I’d expect them to be more inventive?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Crazy suggestion :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Maybe it needs a new Clinchy Spline and the Weasel Davvits tightened? ;)
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:28 pm Maybe it needs a new Clinchy Spline and the Weasel Davvits tightened? ;)
I've only just got what the Basil Brush is in reference to, this one may take a bit longer. :?
mik

Post by mik »

Spoiler
bullshit technical terms that stuck in my head as a youngling when reading my big cousin’s “Ogri” the biker annuals - Ogri and his pal were advising some repairs needed to some lesser biker (probably all the gear, no idea type) with no tech knowledge. I found it most amusing....
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Sounds like a bit of a dated reference to be honest :?
mik

Post by mik »

I don't think anyone else on earth would recognise it as a phrase :? It was just a line that stuck in my head. Like when Bart is kept back for detention by mrs Krabappel and you see him polishing the classroom globes with a tin of globe wax. Or an old cheech & chong cartoon where a passing truck in the background has "guns & butter" on the side.

Amyway..... :oops:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gonna order me one of these.

The artist formerly known as _Who_