The Watches Thread

Maurice

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Maurice »

Like that GG, although I think my puny wrists would mean it’s a no go.

Pete - any update on the repair?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Maurice wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Pete - any update on the repair?
No updates yet, should be ready to collect at end of this week for start of next if they stick to what they said.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I went to the V&A at the weekend to see their "Cars" exhibition. (Not really worth the £20 IMO)

But on the way back, we stopped off for a good nosey about Harrods.

The watch dept is just insane. I had a blast.

Got to see some amazing watches in the flesh that I've seen and read about, but never actually seen in person.

Most of the staff were really friendly and chatty (it was clear I wasn't buying, but it must be quite a boring job - I wonder how many real customers you get to see when you're selling £300,000+ double tourbillion watches?)

Obviously quite a few nice cars in that part of London too (including a quick nosey through the window of Lamborghini London).

But for any watch fans near Harrods, I'd recommend a visit to their watch dept.

Great fun.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DaveE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm I

Most of the staff were really friendly and chatty (it was clear I wasn't buying, but it must be quite a boring job - I wonder how many real customers you get to see when you're selling £300,000+ double tourbillion watches?)
You'll be surprised. There are a lot of very rich people in London and want the blingiest thing to show off.
M235i
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Been wearing my all-black Full-Metal G-Shock a lot recently. It's just fecking awesome.

M235i
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:02 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm I

You'll be surprised. There are a lot of very rich people in London and want the blingiest thing to show off.
Yeah, when you go there (that part of London) it's a reminder of how much wealth there is.

I'd imagine the bling set heads straight for Rolex and some of the less tasteful brands.

It was a pleasure to see some A. Lange & Söhne watches in the flesh...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Some Arab chap bought a fancy watch, then got stabbed right outside the Zara entrance to Harrods quite recently by a gang who fancied his watch.
How about not having a sig at all?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Saw a video on Youtube early on a couple, who own a shop which sells watches and jewellery, getting mugged as they got home. What kind of cunt punches a woman several times in the face as she lies helpless on the ground just for a watch.
M235i
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Treated myself...

Guess the price. Virtual revels for the closest.

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

£3150

Pre-owned??
mik

Post by mik »

£3489
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

£3800, but that's just a random guess. Looks fancy anyway.

I has a quick look around the Harrods watch section this afternoon. I spent more time looking at the relativly lower end (and less intimidating!) stuff. The Oris Big Crown was the stand out one for me, if I hadn't bought the Explorer that would be one I'd look into closer but the design is very vintage and I might go off it after a while. I had another look at the Black Bay 36 and I have no regrets about doubling the budget instead of getting one of those. Also looked the the green dialled Oyster Perpetual that I posted a few pages back which had an RRP give or take what I paid for my 20+ year old Explorer but I think I'm happy with my choice, the green dial with orange hour markers doesn't seem to 'pop' as much as it does in the pictures and looks rather dull. I suppose I wouldn't have had to get it serviced straight away though! Should have mine back on Monday.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Shockers, I hope you didn't pay more than 500 quid for it :P
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Well because you’re asking us to guess the price, it’s either a massively high figure to prove you still enjoy wasting your family’s hard earned money, or its a $300 replica.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:21 pm Well because you’re asking us to guess the price, it’s either a massively high figure to prove you still enjoy wasting your family’s hard earned money, or its a $300 replica.
Ladies and gentlemen - RichB

*applause*
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Rich B wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:21 pm Well because you’re asking us to guess the price, it’s either a massively high figure to prove you still enjoy wasting your family’s hard earned money, or its a $300 replica.
Yes that was the, perhaps slightly disingenuous hint. Mate in the office bought himself an Omega fake from DHGate. So I had a look, and for £30 this is quite convincing. Doesn't fool the experts of course but to the 'normal' viewer it looks real enough. Faily heavy like the real thing, mechanical, exposed mechanism if you turn it over, rotating bezel etc. Not sure 'impressive' is the right word to describe how effective these Chinese fakes are these days but they certainly look and feel the part.

In other news, the Navitimer GMT (yes, that one is real) is going back to Breitling in the next week or so (to their place in Kent) for a repair because a mark has appeared on the inside of the crystal. Looks like a tiny dust mark, appeared after I ran the chronograph function for a while, but the local jeweller has had it under a loop and says it's not. All very odd, never had anything like that before. Tried photographing it but can't get it to focus properly so you'll have to imagine it.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

speedingfine wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:50 pm
Ladies and gentlemen - RichB was correct.

*applause*
EFA
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:51 am
Yes that was the, perhaps slightly disingenuous hint. Mate in the office bought himself an Omega fake from DHGate. So I had a look, and for £30 this is quite convincing. Doesn't fool the experts of course but to the 'normal' viewer it looks real enough. Faily heavy like the real thing, mechanical, exposed mechanism if you turn it over, rotating bezel etc. Not sure 'impressive' is the right word to describe how effective these Chinese fakes are these days but they certainly look and feel the part.

In other news, the Navitimer GMT (yes, that one is real) is going back to Breitling in the next week or so (to their place in Kent) for a repair because a mark has appeared on the inside of the crystal. Looks like a tiny dust mark, appeared after I ran the chronograph function for a while, but the local jeweller has had it under a loop and says it's not. All very odd, never had anything like that before. Tried photographing it but can't get it to focus properly so you'll have to imagine it.
i got a fake Tag years ago in Vietnam. It didn’t even last the holiday! Looked great at first though!
mik

Post by mik »

Interesting. After a few drinks I have nearly spent £40 on an automatic Bell & Ross copy....but never done it.

My colleague at work has a lovely stainless steel TAG chrono. It uses the same Valjoux 7750 movement as my Chris Ward C1000, but mine has a case fashioned from more exotic Titanium & Ceramic. I got mine new for just under half price at £475, but his cost him Eu3000. When the premium for the right brand label is this large for genuinely comparable items, I can see why people start to consider complete fakes....
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I know this will sound slight bollocks, although I do mean it. When I consider replacing the Breitling, and the fact that the latest ones don’t appeal (the face design is too plain) I like the idea of an upper-spec Tag. So at 30 quid I almost get to ‘throw away’ checking how one looks on my wrist. Similar to these people who rent a car before buying it, although I’d never do that tbh.

It’s also 30 quid well spent because I like seeing the design every day, but wouldn’t want to wear something this valuable at my desk, perhaps getting it scratched and so on. Can see why they’re so popular.