The House Projects Thread

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by IanF »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm Work started today. Scaffold went up this morning, and early afternoon the builder showed up, starting to mark out what needs cutting out.

He's started on the cutting. So far he's not found anything horrendous, fingers crossed that continues.
All this to find a mouse!.. 😉
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Having scaffolding up, it must be so tempting to inspect and do any other little exterior jobs at the same time.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yes. There are a few bits and bobs that could be done, but it is a bare minimum effort to get it looking better for when we put it up for sale.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So, important question of the day..... what's the "new" magnolia paint for when you're putting your house up for sale?

7 hours of painting fences, sheds, planters etc yesterday. So glad I got a spray gun, can't imagine how long that lot would have taken doing it with a brush. Driveway has come up well with the Karcher, so its time to get painting and a wee bit of tiling done if I can get a tradesman to actually turn up to quote for it.
Cheers,

Mike.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Ascender wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 am So, important question of the day..... what's the "new" magnolia paint for when you're putting your house up for sale?
Seems to be a shade of grey.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think it’s just plain old brilliant white again.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 am
Ascender wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 am So, important question of the day..... what's the "new" magnolia paint for when you're putting your house up for sale?
Seems to be a shade of grey.
That. Something like Dulux Pebble Stone.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I know grey is the colour of choice for lots of exterior stuff now so that makes sense. Light grey it is!
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

We've been waiting on a bathroom fitter for 6 months. I checked in with him early March to make sure he was on track for late April start and now he's not returning calls and I believe he's blocked me and the wife lol

So frustrating!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Unfortunately there’s a large number bell ends in my industry
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Its such a cliche because its true.

We have a couple of small windows of time to get trades in to look at the new house as it's a holiday let. We move-in early August and I was really wanting to get a roofer lined up to get a new roof on the cottage and ideally the barn we're going to renovate. But I've now lost track of how many I've contacted who've either just blanked the enquiry or agreed to go, not turned up and then radio silence.

Here we've been doing bit and down to the last few things... I need a new fire door into the garage and a small bathroom tiled - its the same story, I think for every 5 people who respond and agreed to come round, one will actually follow it through and turn up.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks like our render repair project is expanding a bit. The porch, which was badly built from the start, is now beginning to look it wants to come away from the house.

Builder will look at it tomorrow. Glad I got that tax refund!
---
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

It's been a mad week but big strides forward. It's amazing what you can do if you get lucky with the "find a trade" type websites.

Two guys responded to the ad for tiling the small bathroom. Both came round. One was half the price of the other and said he could do the job this week. He's been, done a great job and is back next week to do a few final bits in the other bathroom.

Painting is both therapeutic and a real PITA once you realise how much faff it is to do it right. I posted another ad and had someone round within 30 minutes. They're coming tomorrow to do two rooms and back next week to do the rest of the house. They've had a delay on some other work so I just got lucky with the timing I guess.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I find if you’re repainting a wall in the same colour it was previously it’s a horribly boring job.
If you’re changing colour then at least it’s satisfying.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I like the part of painting the big bits in the middle with a roller or brush. Very satisfying. Its the cutting in bit I don't like and anything fiddly where I usually lost patience.

I was happy as a pig in shit at the weekend doing all the fences and sheds last week with the spray gun.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:02 am It's been a mad week but big strides forward. It's amazing what you can do if you get lucky with the "find a trade" type websites.

Two guys responded to the ad for tiling the small bathroom. Both came round. One was half the price of the other and said he could do the job this week. He's been, done a great job and is back next week to do a few final bits in the other bathroom.

Painting is both therapeutic and a real PITA once you realise how much faff it is to do it right. I posted another ad and had someone round within 30 minutes. They're coming tomorrow to do two rooms and back next week to do the rest of the house. They've had a delay on some other work so I just got lucky with the timing I guess.
What site did you use? We've had a quote for painting the outside from the company doing the render repair and it is :shock:
---
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

@DeskJockey - it was the Rated People app/website. We've had a reasonable hit rate with that one.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Ascender thanks!
---
Simon

Post by Simon »

I used rated people last weekend to find an emergency plumber when Dad had a leak under the bath. Very good response on there.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:59 pm I used rated people last weekend to find an emergency plumber when Dad had a leak under the bath. Very good response on there.
You just need to keep reminding him to take a leak in the toilet bowl dude. :geek: