The House Projects Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

.........and forge some sort of a pathway to it :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

..through what looks like a pile of cow dung.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We need to rename this 'Shed Projects Thread' 8-)

Were you concerned you might not be able to work out where the shed door was in the dark, Mike...?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Not shed related but we're currently having the bay windows at the front re-puttied and painted and the master bedroom re-decorated.

None of this is particularly exciting but I'm sure you'll all find amusing a quote that I got from some shyster just to paint the upstairs windows inside and out, the fasciaboards and the masonry around them (scope has since expanded, typically)... wait for it... FOUR THOUSAND QUID :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are either a lot of gullible rich people or old 'uns that are being fleeced around here if people like that can stay in business. As it turns out we've got a local guy in to do it that has painted half the houses on our street at £120 a day with an estimate of around two weeks' work (including stripping the ceiling in the bedroom and all the internal painting).
GG.

Post by GG. »

Random question but does anyone have any recommendations for quick drying mastic/window putty?

I don't want sealant out of a tube/gun as I understand it isn't appropriate for what we need it for.

I see that this stuff notes it dries and can be painted over within 48-72 hours: http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-custo ... 1GBEI.html
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

After car/house interaction, it has become apparent that the front door is twisted and cannot be straightened... new solid oak door with side light £4200 inc installation. All approved by the insurance company, just got to wait 8-10 weeks for build.
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:59 pm After car/house interaction, it has become apparent that the front door is twisted and cannot be straightened... new solid oak door with side light £4200 inc installation. All approved by the insurance company, just got to wait 8-10 weeks for build.
Seems cheap - is it one from Wickes? :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I'm having a proper dual rebate composite front door (£1k by itself) fitted in the next couple of weeks with a new surround, side + top glass, £2300 all in. Did you not hide the fezza when they came to quote? :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm We need to rename this 'Shed Projects Thread' 8-)

Were you concerned you might not be able to work out where the shed door was in the dark, Mike...?
:lol:

It does have it's advantages. Bearing in mind that's going to become the brewhouse it might help... The wife threatened to paint the garage doors with it as well :shock:

Looks great when the wildflowers are in bloom though and with the old red brick.

For JL and Simon - access via the large lawn to the left out of shot ;)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ah, no cow dung denial I see.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think we all just need to moo-ve on here.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Fvcking tradesmen. Honestly, is there another group of people who seem to make it their life's goal to make sure they absolutely live up to the stereotype of them that we all know?
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Estate agents?

ETA: I know what you mean though. We've got a painter in doing the front of the house - I know he's on a day rate so has little incentive to motor on with it but its painfully slow progress at present.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm Fvcking tradesmen. Honestly, is there another group of people who seem to make it their life's goal to make sure they absolutely live up to the stereotype of them that we all know?
Politicians?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Lawyers. Sorry.
tim

Post by tim »

I'm impressed you got half your house contents into an 8' square shed! That's some serious minimalism.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm Fvcking tradesmen. Honestly, is there another group of people who seem to make it their life's goal to make sure they absolutely live up to the stereotype of them that we all know?
Pet hate of mine. You phone a few, all of them agree to come round and quote. Two of them actually turn up and give a quote. The one you give the job to does a shit job.

We had some painting done by a guy. For the first time ever, the job was perfect. It was only small, but absolutely bob on. So we asked him to do a couple of rooms for us whilst we were on holiday. For this job, he sent his son and the apprentice. I could've done a better job myself. On every single door, they painted over the brass hinges and the latches/escutcheons, and they closed one door when the paint was still wet so that now, 6 months later, the paint still sticks and makes a noise when you open it because the paint hasn't cured properly and never will.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pmLawyers. Sorry.
Fair enough I think! Most do fit a mould.

That's the thing about stereotypes y'see - some may be hyperbolic but there's usually a glimmer (or more) of truth in them - hence why they came about in the first place!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Totally agree.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Am I the only person who uses mybuilder.com?

You post up a description of the job, the website gets its money from the tradesman responding and putting them in touch with you.

So when they come round and quote they're already partly invested.

I got the guy who helped finish my last place from there. He was on a day rate (£150/d) and I'd just point every few hours and say 'rip that door out', 'paint that','fill that' etc. He let me know his availability one week to the next and I just found things for him to do to finish the place off for sale.

It worked out for both of us and his work was top drawer.