The House Projects Thread

jamcg

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by jamcg »

Gavster wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:36 pm
jamcg wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:04 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am Didn't pay the solicitor, I imagine.
More likely they tried to tell the solicitor how to do hours job because they knew better, probably followed by not paying them because he was an amateur in their eyes
That sounds spot on, have you met my neighbours? :lol:
Not personally, just worked for a few amateur plumbers who apparently know more than I do
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Portaloo gone, skip gone, general building detritus reducing every week! Shame the weather has been horrendous, hard to get any motivation or even be able to do anything outside when it’s so muddy and horrible.

Flooring down, builder going tomorrow to take interior photos before any furniture goes in, still waiting for the washing machine / drier / dishwasher to all be fitted.

We’re still all hoping to be able to spend a few days there over Christmas 😬

Courtyard drainage / soakaways / base layer all done. Could easily park three cars in there 😄

Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks like you’ve got plenty of space there to stick a Harry’s Garage style agricultural barn 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

You'd get 3 inside those bifold doors !
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's looking great @integrale_evo!

What sort of flooring is that, looks good!
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Looking really lovely!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

At the fear of incurring the wrath of the forum for not using reclaimed ancient oak, it’s lvt.

Looks nicer and less fake than I expected, some were very shiny and plastic looking. Snug / entrance hall laid one way, oak finished step down into the kitchen and the flooring runs all the way through the rest of the house with no breaks.

Personally I would have quite liked a light / white, polished concrete to hint at the lime soil floor which used to be in the open section.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

This isn’t PH you know 😄 I think LVT is great. Much warmer underfoot than tiles, doesn’t warp if you have a flood or leave water sitting on it, easy to repair if needed and dropping a plate on it means there is a chance it won’t smash.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

We've not had any objections to the ad in the paper and planning hope to make a decision by the middle of January - it took them, months and months and months first time round.

I know its entirely possibly going to jinx it, but we're trying to be optimistic so have applied for a self build loan - at least to get acceptance in principle as a first step, so will see how things go over the next few weeks.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Well, we made it in for Christmas. Just.

All bedrooms have furniture and curtains, kitchen works but needs a couple of bits finishing. Dining table is a fold up decorating table and seating is a random selection. X5 was employed as a screen to try and make the snug with a sofa bed a bit more private over night.

Glad to have the wood burner, something lovely about sitting around a hot lump of metal watching the flames.

Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Congrats! I bet you’ll look back in years to come and say that was try e best Christmas in that house :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:32 pm Well, we made it in for Christmas. Just.

All bedrooms have furniture and curtains, kitchen works but needs a couple of bits finishing. Dining table is a fold up decorating table and seating is a random selection. X5 was employed as a screen to try and make the snug with a sofa bed a bit more private over night.

Glad to have the wood burner, something lovely about sitting around a hot lump of metal watching the flames.

Congratulations!!
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s such a great space to enjoy 😎

Our first Christmas with a wood burner too, happily sit there just watching the flames do their thing.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks excellent. Deserve a bigger beer after that.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Late to this this but congrats Harry & family! Looks lovely.

And yes, there's definitely something about just sitting around a hot metal box starting at the flames - even our cat will sit there for 10mins staring at the log burner when it first gets going.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My dog won’t move from the log burner when it’s on, he’s happy lying on a wool rug 6ft away with his ass extremely hot to the touch
I ended up buying a fake fireplace style heater for my flat which he has to stick right against because it’s obviously not as warm :lol:

However turn the climate control in the car above 18 and he will aggressively pant until you turn it down again :roll:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What's with the Radiators Mito?? - never seen that type before.

Not a fan...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s a relic from the previous owner, a presumed drug dealer with an eclectic taste. He didn’t like radiators so picked random designer ones. And each room has its own radiator design. I mentioned it all before but every room in the house - including bathrooms had at least 2 doors so you could never be trapped in. There was a TV solely connected to the cctv system in each room - including bathrooms.
All the doors here lead to 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom
During renovation we closed the routes behind most the doors so they’re false doors now albeit one is hiding all the underfloor heating gubbins and another has a new fuse board installed behind it.

Then there was a small vault under the boiler room which we assume was hiding a safe, the dodgy inspection pit which seemed to be a place to store drugs and the bunker with passages going all around the house. We never unearthed it all. I remember at the time watching this Documentary about Escobar’s old safe houses being explored and there were a lot of similarities in terms of design :shock:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That's amazing... I don't recall you saying that before.

I like the doors - just not that many... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…