The House Projects Thread

simon_g

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by simon_g »

We have an 30s semi that was extended out the back by the previous owners, and that sort of layout works well for us. Kids can play in the loungey bit (although I need to build more storage to get toys away) while we cook or sit at the table. Front room is smaller, we put youngest in there in the pushchair for naps but otherwise the kids stay out and it's a nice adult space for watching TV or reading. Thinking about building bookcases all the way round the walls but with some way to hide a big TV away.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Some more design studies from our architect chap:

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5

I rather like option 5 - I was thinking of something like that, with fewer/smaller side windows on the garden side and with an apex roof, but all in the same style/materials. However, the arch roof may well be architecturally more elegant; an apex roof would have to have a relatively shallow slope, certainly not the same near 45 degree slope as the house roof.

The extension isn't happening for a year at least; in the meantime, my really excellent boiler/heating chap has been round to measure up to fit a new hot water cylinder. Not, as I was intending, an unvented cylinder - that would have required some alteration to the boiler (not a massive amount, Grant sell the kit to turn it into a system boiler) and potentially exposed any flaws in our central heating system. Instead we are getting a 250l Harlequin Heatstream cylinder, which is just a type of thermal store. It provides mains pressure hot water without being a pressurised system so doesn't need all the important pressure relief valves, pressure vessels etc.

My wife is more interested in the kitchen than the bathrooms so she's pretty much left me to decide on those completely. She does seem to be vetoing a bidet, mind you...
mik

Post by mik »

Kitchen bidet aren't so popular now.

I like option5 too. I don't like the way you always have a voyeur hanging around the side glass window thing.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Option 3 for me. Option 5 brings in a curved theme that just looks out of place on a rectilinear property like yours, and Option 4 looks like a water collecting device :lol: (and will ruin any view from the upstairs rooms).
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I asked him to include me in the images, Mik.

No.4 looks like a giraffe house at a zoo. No thanks to that one!

We don't really want a flat roof; they just cause problems in future. While I agree that the curved roof is a departure from the very geometric shape of the house, the whole extension is going to be outside the original envelope of the building so it is, by its very existence, a departure. I think that gives it licence to vary from the original form; the detailing is obviously going to be quite different.

One thing I particularly like about option 5 is the way the roof extends over the patio; it's a bit like this example that I found. I think that would be rather nice to live with.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The curved design would work well if it’s clad nicely, and curved ceilings always look nice from inside. Just need to be careful that you don’t end up with something that’s like a mini aircraft hanger. But it looks the least like a greenhouse/conservatory of all the options so far.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

option 5 looks like the entrance to a crappy office building, option 3 is the best one so far.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Option 5, but it will be very colour sensitive. Oh, and lose that glass box on the side of the house ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Stick with option 1 or 2 imo.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 am Kitchen bidet aren't so popular now.
Do NOT confuse the built in deep fat fryer with the kitchen bidet! :shock:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Option 1 still suits the house best imo!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The very first rendering on the thread is what suits the existing house best. No reason it couldn't also be extended forward to overhang the patio.

The curve one just looks like a bit of an airport terminal glued on, I can imagine the reverse slope being a nightmare in the future, one of our office roofs has a similar shape and creates a nice indoor waterfall every time there's a decent downpour.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think a combo of the 1st and 5th is probably the way to go. Much as I like the idea of the curve, an apex roof is going to be more appropriate. I might ask him to reduce the height of the side walls a little to get a steeper angle on the roof.

Can see the cost of glazing being a large proportion of the total expenditure, whatever the final design looks like...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I like option 5 too Jobbo and agree with the ‘covered outside space’ idea... (you’re not a smoker, are you?? ;) :lol: )

Is there scope for a bigger space outside the extension or do you have to go to the steps. (Kinda hard to see the size of the garden from the initial space)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The outside space part wasn't part of the architect's remit - anything shown there is just what he's used as background. Having said that I quite like it. The ground slopes away a bit so if it goes out too far, there will be a big retaining wall required. Will worry about landscaping once the basic extension design is settled; I had thought the principle exterior patio would be along the right hand side wall as you face the extension.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Whichever option you go for, if the windows are split like in option 5, make sure the dividing metalwork doesn't sit directly in your eyeline blocking any view out. It's amazing how often architects do this, going for symmetry and proportion on a sketch above considering actually using the space.

To pull off extensions that don't match the style of the property you need to get the details spot on (i.e. expensive) - If you like the overhang why not go with the sliding house idea http://drmm.co.uk/projects/view.php?p=sliding-house?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It won't be sliding :lol: Even if you try to match the style of the property the details need to be spot on (size and colour of bricks, mortar beds etc); frankly I think it's easier to go for an interesting modern extension which doesn't pretend to be an original part of the house!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:28 pm The outside space part wasn't part of the architect's remit - anything shown there is just what he's used as background. Having said that I quite like it. The ground slopes away a bit so if it goes out too far, there will be a big retaining wall required. Will worry about landscaping once the basic extension design is settled; I had thought the principle exterior patio would be along the right hand side wall as you face the extension.
Cool - I’d consider large doors out into that space so but all down to personal preference - i’m sure it’ll be lovely, whatever you both decide👍🏻

Edit - thinking again, the design as is gives you 2 distinct spaces, rather than the extension just opening out into a patio - pros and cons to both.

Nice choices to make though
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Architect has submitted plans to the council to fill in the gap over the kitchen extension on the first floor. Joint application with neighbour as they've wanted the extra space for years.

Also knocked down old shed

Didn't expect it to have enough structural rigidity left to turn turtle on me.

New 10x8 shed is much less sheddy!
Last edited by DeskJockey on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Barry.