The House Projects Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

Final week of painting commences... It's amazing what you can do when you can find some great tradesmen. They've also recommended a couple of roofers for the new place who've both responded to texts which is a start.

This house had some of those built-in wardrobes with mirrored sliding doors. In my son's room, one of the doors is missing... Turns out they're expensive things...

So, do I just bit the bullet and replace like for like?

Or are there any inspired "changing rooms" ideas as to what to do with it which will be cheap and cheerful.

Take the other door out and just put a curtain up? etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:54 am So, do I just bit the bullet and replace like for like?
We had sliding mirrored wardrobe doors replaced years ago at a property with a 3 panel wood/coloured glass/wood. Much cheaper than replacing with mirror (and we specifically didn't want mirror).

In fact my mum put the same kinda thing into her place recently - will confirm who did it (but it was somewhere out near Grangemouth so might work for you).

(not like this, but this kinda idea)

mik

Post by mik »

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nice one, thanks @mik 👍🏻
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nearly there with the house... got the home report done today and on the face of it, kind of looks like another racket. Pay someone £700 for them to tell you everything you know.

"We can confirm it's a 20 year old house. It has some bathrooms with sinks and baths in them. We've no idea if they're leaking or anything so you might want to pay someone to look at that. It's got a roof. We didn't go up on it but it looked ok. There's walls and fences."

Painting is nearly done, so just a fire door being fitted and then pictures to be taken before its on the market and the anxiety of "how long will it take to sell and how long will we need to cover the bridging finance for?" begins.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We had our first major project done today - the catio. One of the stipulations my wife had was that the cats needed access to outside but securely, so that we don’t lose any more to being hit by cars.

Black wood to go with the beams. Can’t get away from the fact that there’s a cage on the back of the house but it’s as well done as I think we could get it.

The cats seem to love it. I thought they’d be pretty unbothered because it’s enclosed but they love the sounds, smells, wind etc it seems. Very pleased with it!

Even Little Miss Sunshine (the white cat, a timid rescue - not deaf, unlike many white cats) was out exploring it. She’s normally very reticent. A success so far.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

If you want any Clarky Cat, you know where to come.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm We had our first major project done today - the catio. One of the stipulations my wife had was that the cats needed access to outside but securely, so that we don’t lose any more to being hit by cars.

Black wood to go with the beams. Can’t get away from the fact that there’s a cage on the back of the house but it’s as well done as I think we could get it.

The cats seem to love it. I thought they’d be pretty unbothered because it’s enclosed but they love the sounds, smells, wind etc it seems. Very pleased with it!

Even Little Miss Sunshine (the white cat, a timid rescue - not deaf, unlike many white cats) was out exploring it. She’s normally very reticent. A success so far.

I know a man with one of these, he has shelves around the outside and a few hanging from the roof for the cats to explore and treat like an obstacle course, they love it
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yes, we do need to furnish it. It came with 4 shelves and they are already well used, so we need a few more, but it also needs more things to stop it just being space.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

In the movies there's always a basketball hoop in the prison yard.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We've had the render repaired and painted on the side of the house. I'll paint the bits on the back, give the rest a clean, and replace the vent grille for the cooker hood as that's falling apart.

Unfortunately the porch is in a rather sorry state, and I can't put off doing something about it anymore.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm
Surely you've got enough cats that they can just band together and lift it up off the floor and slip out underneath?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nice job on the catio!
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Simon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:45 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm
Surely you've got enough cats that they can just band together and lift it up off the floor and slip out underneath?
I guess Jobbo’s following the American approach of being anti-union and shutting them down immediately
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:54 pm In the movies there's always a basketball hoop in the prison yard.
And a bank of steps so the most senior cat can sit at the top... :D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Every day's a school day....

"Sorry, we can't offer home insurance as your home was originally built in 1800."

"Why?"

"Don't know".

"What year can you insure houses from?"

"1801".....
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Good work on the mock tudor catio Jobbo.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 pm Every day's a school day....

"Sorry, we can't offer home insurance as your home was originally built in 1800."

"Why?"

"Don't know".

"1801".....
We had exactly the same problem. Three suggestions:
- Speak to @Holley on here
- Try looking for High Net Worth home insurance, because the insurers tend to be less 'computer says no' - we ended up using HomeProtect
- Try the Meerkat for non-standard homes: https://www.comparethemarket.com/home-i ... -standard/
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ascender wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 pm Every day's a school day....

"Why?"

"Don't know".

"1801".....
Do you categorically know your house was built in 1800? If not it would seem reasonable to declare it built in 1801. In my experience the date of construction is what you tell them.