The House Projects Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

Google is much less fun than asking here, so in that spirit...

Say you've been offered a plot of land... What is the path of least resistance and cost to determining likelihood of permission to build on said land, assuming so far the view is... "yeah you'll be fine"? Is it a case of getting a surveyor in to survey the land, then architect to design house, then apply for planning permission?

Should be simple right?
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Speak to a planning consultant early on - that's the way to do it in England at least, might be different in Scotland.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Quote incoming for our next 4 windows to be replaced :roll:

Have been waiting on a roofer since last July for our main wooden gutter to be completely re-done :roll: Big job, I think he prefers straightforward new-build stuff.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 pm Speak to a planning consultant early on - that's the way to do it in England at least, might be different in Scotland.
100% this. If you're on PH then tap up Equus. He's one of the few architects that also has a full grasp of planning matters and can advise accordingly. If you aren't on PH then it's a planning consultant you want first and foremost.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Minor update for our project. Rear elevation windows put in last week, incl bifolds and large picture window. Looks amazing. Not finished though. None-square holes means trims are needed, plus a few handles are wobbly. I've refused any further payments until it's sorted as they've still not fully sorted the front elevation windows that were fitted in Feb...

Kitchen fitters have been here a week now as well, so that's coming together. Well, until they put a hole in a CH pipe yesterday... The repair was weeping last night so I'm hoping that's been sorted today. Once they're done that leaves 2nd fix, flooring, architraves and skirting and doors. And the back door which we still don't have an ETA on.

I'm beginning to get a little jaded by it all. It started mid-March, so will be nearly 3mo end to end. But when you factor in we had front windows done in Feb, underpinning in Oct and bay window structural works in Sept, it's pretty much felt like we've had trades in the house for 8-9mo. And at the same time the adjoining semi has been being gutted, extended and renovated so we've had all the noise and dust from that.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks, looks like a planning consultant is the way to go then.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks, looks like a planning consultant is the way to go then.
Yep. They should be able to advise if it's a goer or not, and any issues you may face. E.g. it may be a goer but there might be certain approaches or requirements for your specific area in order to satisfy planning. Once you've got a steer from the planning consultant, then it's time to engage an architect.

Good architects can manage a lot of the process and give you costs etc. But it's crucially that planning knowledge where the specific expertise can make a huge difference. Many architects will try and do planning as well but it often leads to tears.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finally got my new windows and doors going in Thursday/Friday. Took a while for the Rehau profile to coming in from Germany but the manufacturers seems to have it all in hand now. Looking forward to getting rid of this original wood frame double glazing and the associated drafts!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Had a local company out to sort a couple of issues on the roof. We'd been told by the gutter cleaners that the ridge tiles needed fixing.

That meant also redoing the flashing on the chimney, sorting the gutters, and gluing the soffit vents in properly (they kept popping out).

When they got up there they could lift the ridge tiles straight off, the cement just crumbled. :shock:

Now properly affixed with new flashing on the chimney which should also fix a very very (but still in need of fixing) leak.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ascender wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks, looks like a planning consultant is the way to go then.
Check the local plan for the area designation, if green belt you are pretty unlikely to get it, unless evidence of a previous dwelling is there..
Foz

Post by Foz »

Plastering ongoing, roof fixed, and architect coming tomorrow to
Be able to help with the middle back end part which is what’s causing me to head scratch..
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

We've inherited an outdoor office which is structurally sound, has a decent roof, but is a mess inside and only has insulation in the walls, so is fecking freezing. Looks like the flooring is just OSB sheets with nothing underneath and there's the traditional mineral wool type stuff in the walls. I've not looked at the roof yet, but am I right in thinking rigid PIR insulation boards are the best bet for the floor?

Presumably I pick a thickness and then create little batons to hold them off the ground and flush with the top of the timber frame?
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Cut them tight enough and they will self support, you can get rockwool and netting but I did that in my old house, well I did half of it but the crawlspace was tiny and working off my back with the staple gun and some netting was probably the least pleasant experience of my life..

Depends on access from the top..
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Foz wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:38 pm Cut them tight enough and they will self support, you can get rockwool and netting but I did that in my old house, well I did half of it but the crawlspace was tiny and working off my back with the staple gun and some netting was probably the least pleasant experience of my life..

Depends on access from the top..
That sounds utterly grim! :D

The floor is a waste of space so I'll have to take that up which is going to involve cutting it up in sections, so access will be fine from above thankfully!

The front has a rubbish door and PVC window, so I'd like to just take those out and put in a large glass window/sliding/folding door. Which I guess will be a case of finding a firm locally as once I start cutting out the front I can't go back.
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Any structural modifications and you will need a structural engineer and building warrant..

You will need an engineer with an SER certificate, they effectively self certify as the local authorities no longer have engineers to check/approve.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tomorrow this manky conservatory gets taken down 🎉🎉 Can't wait. Wall built next week the glass and roof starts on the 1st.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Are you having a hand in the demolition? I think I'd be itching to have a go! I have what many would probably consider a fairly irrational hatred of conservatories though. And porches :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Day 1 of the new windows being fitted. I now have flying mullions in the nursery and my office. Same will be in the kitchen tomorrow. New lounge, hall, bathroom.and toilet windows fitted too. It's certainly a lot quieter and less drafty than the old ones too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 pm Are you having a hand in the demolition? I think I'd be itching to have a go! I have what many would probably consider a fairly irrational hatred of conservatories though. And porches :lol:
Am I fuck 😂 That's what I'm paying them for. I'm keeping the double doors and a single glazed unit for potential garden office build at some point.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 pm Are you having a hand in the demolition? I think I'd be itching to have a go! I have what many would probably consider a fairly irrational hatred of conservatories though. And porches :lol:
It’s great fun!!!

When I was demolishing my garage a load of people were watching to see if it would fall into next doors garden :lol:

Dave!